Rest in Peace, Peter Millar.

The common meeting place for SEOW veterans and noobs alike, sharing feedback, ideas and experiences.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

II/JG77hawk_12

Rest in Peace, Peter Millar.

Post by II/JG77hawk_12 »

I regret to inform you that our good friend, and one of life's great natural gentlemen, Peter Millar, has finally succumbed to the cancer he fought so long and hard.

He passed away at 17:07 hours Australian eastern standard time, on Saturday, the 22rd of March. He was in hospital, with family and friends attending.

He was 48 years old.

He had been in hospital for several days, as he could no longer cope with his deteriorating condition and the dwindling quality of life his disease provided at home. He picked up in hospital for a few days, but despite the care and high concentration of oxygen he was on, the carbon dioxide was able to build up, and the eventual cause of death was pneumonia. He was a graceful and determined fighter until his final breath, and he did not let go easily. Neither did he complain or bemoan his condition. As his sister Pam said, “He fought it like a real man”.

Peter’s sister also wanted me to contact as many of his internet friends and comrades as possible, as they know how much he will be mourned and missed.

Peter’s family would like you all to also spread the word of this great mans passing to the gaming community.

Ian Klauss (II/JG77Hawk_12)

P.S. I think that it would be a great gesture if people could email me their condolences, and I will make sure to pass them on to Peter's surviving family and relatives.

(see 4S if you want 12's email address)
IV/JG7_4Shades

Re: Rest in Peace, Peter Millar.

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Thanks Ian, I am glad you let us all know about this terrible news.

Pete really was a true gentleman, and he was a valued part of our online community. Things will definitely not be the same around here now without 5.

I am not sure what more to say, this is a shock to me.
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

JG26_Badger

Post by JG26_Badger »

I am so sorry to hear of the passing of our dear friend Pete. He was a wonderful person and I will miss him very much. I will email a message that you can pass on to his family.

We love you Hawk5!
PA-Dore

Post by PA-Dore »

I write in french, I don't have the English words to translate my pain.

C'est une terrible nouvelle, sans le connaitre personnellement, j'éprouve une grande peine en apprenant cette terrible nouvelle. Étant confronté à 2 reprises à cette implacable maladie, cela me touche encore plus fort. C'est toute la communauté SEOW qui est en deuil, il manquera désormais l'un des ses membres les plus fidèles.

J'envoie, de l'autre bout de la terre, de la part de toute la communauté française, tout mon soutien à sa famille, et même si cela est bien peu de chose, notre ami continuera à vivre parmi nous.
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Let's see if we can get some material together on his marvellous exploits with us all. Anyone got any tracks/screenshots etc?

Of course we only have to look at the SEOW Mission Planner to see evidence of his excellence in map building and everything else. He even wrote some DCS code as some stage, and ran his own SEOW server 24x7 for years to assist in development and hosting for everyone. But there was a lot more to Pete than just SEOW and IL-2, needless to say.
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

102nd-YU-Devill

Post by 102nd-YU-Devill »

I am so sorry for Pete and his family. This terrible news really caught me by surprise and left without words.
It was in my last mission in Korosten where we flew together in December 2013. It was so recent...
Peter was a wonderful guy. I will always remember him.

Rest in peace Peter.
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Pete having fun late last year in a real simulator!

IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

II/JG54_Emil

Post by II/JG54_Emil »

I don't know what to write or say.

I am shocked and sad.

I send you my sincerest and best wishes for your last journey...
JG26_Scannon

Post by JG26_Scannon »

Ian thank you very much for passing on what has to be an incredibly difficult message. My condolences to all who knew Pete and most importantly his family. I feared this day as Pete's challenges were many and known among us... we were all pulling for him as every day was a testament of his will to carry on despite his condition. I haven't known Pete a tremendously long time but it was clear that even after only a short time I very quickly appreciated his friendship, his camaraderie, his demeanor and his example. If the measure of a man is the content of his character, particularly under times of duress, Pete's character was impeccable. I will miss him, as I'm sure we all will. I will most certainly appreciate efforts to pass along condolences to the family.

If I can assist with any collective efforts on our part please feel free to contact me.
Loon

Post by Loon »

I simply can't believe he's gone.

I'll miss you very much, my dear friend.

Nunca podré olvidarte, _5

Descansa en paz.
II/JG3K.Brandle

Post by II/JG3K.Brandle »

Hi all.

Pete always makes you feel like he is right there with you. I will always vividly remember a Red Orchestra game where I was crawling through rubble and we had a T-34 lobbing shells into the room. The way he said "Fix bayonettes" as he crawled along side....the distance between New York and Sydney could be measured by the pieces of rubble between us.
102nd-HR-cmirko

Post by 102nd-HR-cmirko »

rest in peace Peter, although I knew you only as a hawk_5 you will be missed. My condolences to his family and friends outside our small gaming community.
WTE_Ikey

Post by WTE_Ikey »

Such a huge loss , Pete was a lovely guy, so helpful & full of integrity & kindness.

Rest in Peace my friend.
No457_Squog

Post by No457_Squog »

I heard the news last night and to be honest I'm still shocked to hear that he has passed. Pete was a pillar of the SEOW community. He was always a pleasure to speak with and a brilliant commander/pilot to boot. I'll always remember the giggle-sessions on teamspeak with Hawk5, Brandle & Warg. His contributions to the SEOW project are par excellence and are a testament to his character.

Requiescat in pace, Pete.
II/JG77hawk_12

Post by II/JG77hawk_12 »

Dear friends,

I have been informed by Pete's sister that his funeral will take place at 1:00PM AEST on Thursday. Other details to follow. But I expect his final resting place will be close to his home of Toukley NSW.

May I suggest that we reserve a minute of silence at that time, wherever you may be.

II/JG77Hawk_12