A Discussion: MDS and SEOW

The common meeting place for SEOW veterans and noobs alike, sharing feedback, ideas and experiences.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

6S.Maraz

Post by 6S.Maraz »

Hello,
I am retrieving this old discussion for a reason: one friend of the Italian Community, 1SMV Arden, has thought about building a new campaign tool for generating online campaigns based on dgfight missions. He can program in php, knows mysql, so I believe he has the technical competence to do that.

First thing I asked him was: "instead of building a new tool, why don't you work to make SEOW engine compatible with dogfight missions?".

He answered that he had though about that as well, he had even downloaded the SEOW code from Sourceforge, but he was overwhelmed by the amount of code he had to study and understand in order ro find the places where he must operate to make the engine work with Dogfigh missions.

Perhaps what he needs is just some guidelines pointing at the correct modules he has to modify in order to generate dogfight missions (probably the mission generation - just the art concerning planes, and the logfile parsing). Is someone available to help ?

Bye
Maraz
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Maraz,

Arden is welcome to have a go at that project. In simple terms, all needs to think about (and the easiest thing to do) is modding the DCS to output DF-format mission files and to read/parse DF-format logfiles. That shouldn't be too hard.

Once he does that, the next (big) thing is to mod the SEOW campaign logic into something that makes some kind of sense in a DF world. I suspect this could be done in many different ways - that is for Arden to decide.

I am always glad to help if Arden has any questions etc, but this would be his baby.

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

6S.Maraz

Post by 6S.Maraz »

Thanks 4S, we are trying to assess the effort needed and build a small developing/testing team, if that will be successful we will come back to you with lots of questions :D

Maraz