RADAR - Reliability and EW - suggestion

The common meeting place for SEOW veterans and noobs alike, sharing feedback, ideas and experiences.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

EAF331_Starfire

RADAR - Reliability and EW - suggestion

Post by EAF331_Starfire »

Background for reliability

The first RADARs were not very reliable.
To simulate this it would be nice to have a seperate option for reliability as we have for other units.
The reason why I don't want to mix this in with the reliability with aircrafts are the irritation of joining the mission and finding out that aircrafts are gone. Especially since we loose pilots to real reliability issues like router failures, controller failures and game issues.

Background for EW (Electronic Warfare)
Right now the RADAR in SEOW stand alone.
This was not the case during WWII. All sides tried to prevent the other sides by obtaining information, some nations more than others.

I suggest the following:
I was think if it should be possible to add jamming(ECM) objects (which can be destroyed).

ECM Object
Jammers are represented by an object which can be destroyed. Possibly the MEACON (Masking Beacon) object under "Stationary Objects"

Since some RADARS are shipborne and they move. I think the way to implement this if using an algorithm measuring the distance between the RADARS and the ECM objects.
Since RADARS that are effected by ECM will display anormal behaviour it is only fair that the team which RADARS are jammed will be notifield.
I think a flashing 'J' should follow the RADAR affected.

The ECM objects effectiveness should be determined by distance to the RADAR.
I have no idear of the effective range of WWII ECM, but I am willing to research further if there are a need for it.

I think there should be different ECM objects with different range, just like radars.

Behaviour
As RADAR's where jammed, operators was trying to cope with it.
Some countries where not very successfull in this. But for simplity I don't think we should implemented.

As RADARS are jammed an 'J' should displayed or flashing.
The detection range should be reduced and so should updates on aircrafts.

Coming up with an idear and not being able to implement is killing me.
I hope you will make this one true.
Waiting for HSFX 6 support ;-)
Kopfdorfer

Post by Kopfdorfer »

Perhaps now is also the time to remind everyone that (as far as I know) the option of using "window" as a radar jamming method ( and therefore its inclusion as a potential bomber loadout/part loadout) has not made it as an IL2 mod as yet. If this line is pursued it would be in line with historical veracity to consider the development of a "window" model for SEOW.

Kopfdorfer