Propaganda effects

The common meeting place for SEOW veterans and noobs alike, sharing feedback, ideas and experiences.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

102nd-YU-Devill

Propaganda effects

Post by 102nd-YU-Devill »

Hi Shades,

I think propaganda is a bit too versatile right now in SEOW. In our Korea campaign against the GIAP69 both sides are using it extensively and it is proving to be more effective than any TNT charge you can imagine. Especially when there is turbulence down low which disables ground attacking.

Anyway, if you have time to look into it, I'd propose as the simplest solution: remove the cumulative effect of multiple propaganda drops on one unit. Also, you can make it so that 1 propaganda drop can affect a max number of units, so if there is more units than the maximum in its radius, then it will be necessary to drop more propaganda leaflets, but only to cause impact on more units, not a bigger impact on any single unit.

If you don't mind a question: do we get minefields in the next release?

Cheers!
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Devill,

It is certainly possible to alter the propaganda model. I was waiting until people used it for real to get feedback. I didn't think I would have to wait a couple of years for people to use it! :D

Minefields: no-one has written in-game mods for simulating minefields in real time; there will be no SEOW support for minefields until appropriate mods are written.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

102nd-YU-Devill

Oh, we've been using it for some time, and it worked fine until you have airplane slots to spare. Since we have a lack of human pilots in Korea, planners from both sides have started using mass propaganda drops. If you have some time to kill, check the korea campaign results here

http://www.69giap.com/SEOW/MP4.794/Stat ... istics.php

and see if it is what you intended or not.

About minefields, from what you said I gather that you are not interested in implementing them through MP only?
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

About minefields, from what you said I gather that you are not interested in implementing them through MP only?
Correct, too much rolling of dice, which is counter to the SEOW philosophy of "high fidelity battlefield".

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

102nd-YU-Devill

Too bad... El Alamein will not be reenacted soon then.
PA-Dore

Post by PA-Dore »

Vladimir, in our 2011 El Alamein campaign, we simulated the minefields like this: (Only Engineers can "open" a way through the minefield):

Minefields
II/JG54_Emil

Post by II/JG54_Emil »

PA-Dore wrote:Vladimir, in our 2011 El Alamein campaign, we simulated the minefields like this: (Only Engineers can "open" a way through the minefield):

Minefields
Is this done automatically or do you follow the engineers path and edit the minefield overlay manually?
PA-Dore

Post by PA-Dore »

For pilots and commandants it seemed automatic but not for the admin :D
II/JG54_Emil

Post by II/JG54_Emil »

hehe :D
Oversturm

Post by Oversturm »

I agree with Devil that propaganda is the worst thing possible.
In the SEOW we flew against them, they used it several times, I have always thought that propaganda is a secondary issue as it was in real war.
Not just for throwing propaganda leaflets from planes, did the enemy troops desert and in this flight simulator I always thought that it was just to give it a little touch of realism.

But in our last mission against them after so many combats on land and in the air, they threw their propaganda and I don't know either the quantity or how many bombers they used for it, but the result was that our troops kept a high spirit and morale.

http://seow.grij.net/MP4public/Statisti ... 41600.html

I absolutely agree with devil that propaganda should not be cumulative.

Thanks for your hard work.

Greetings!
Hijo mío, la felicidad está hecha de pequeñas cosas:
Un pequeño yate, una pequeña mansión, una pequeña fortuna…
Groucho Marx
II/JG3K.Brandle

Post by II/JG3K.Brandle »

S!

It would give a touch of realism but you would need to have a realistically designed campaign to achieve that. Realistic proportion of planes to ground troops and I have yet to see anything close to this in the SEOW world. Not many people like that level of realism, some have even called it draconian.

Realistic proportion of planes to men on the ground would only leave a handful of total planes at our disposal and only a handful of them would be able to drop propaganda. What most of the campaigns have is a never ending flow of planes and an ability to build or top up any kind of plane. If you check it out, in WW2 all sides had an alarming shortage of transport planes and a realistic supply situation would mean they would be needed everywhere at once for critical resupply efforts.

Just look at the German production as an example:
50,000+ fighters
25,000 bombers and ground support
4500 transports

For the Soviets it would be even more extreme

Watch a Bridge Too Far "we are desperately short of transport aircraft. I'm surprised nobody suggested this to Monty when he dreamed up this plan." -Lieutenant-General Frederick "Boy" Browning

"not enough planes, too many troops, we cant get them all in at the same time." - Brig. Gen. James Gavin

While watching a third of the planes fly overhead "Only once, to have such power in my hands" - SS-Obergruppenführer Wilhelm Bittrich

That was about Market Garden in Sept '44 so even at that late date, transport aircraft were not readily available.

Propaganda drops were designed to only be used by these transports that would also be critical for so many other functions. The people who designed it would never dream of using it in a gamey and wholly unrealistic fashion.
II/JG54_Emil

Post by II/JG54_Emil »

1+ Brändle!!!

Btw. I have 3 campaigns of that kind ready (2. Battle of El Alamein, Battle for Crete and Operation Market garden).

:D

So let me know when you are ready for it. ;)