SEOW Ace Series of Campaigns

A meeting place for people running SEOW campaigns and people who want to participate in SEOW campaigns.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

102nd-HR-cmirko

Post by 102nd-HR-cmirko »

ok :) more strategy is always a good thing :D
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Guys,

Just an update here. Based on the discussions in this thread and some TS chats, I thought it would be best to have a decent set of scripts in place to allow senior commanders to move resources (reinforcements and supplies) between sectors. So I have been spending some time developing these scripts. I am about halfway through - should be finished in a couple of days.

Once that is done, I feel that we ought to embark upon a simple "proof of concept" campaign linking, say, three sectors together. The idea is to have a "homeland" sector for each side, and a "front line" sector in the middle. The homeland sectors would be used to produce reinforcements (from factory production) which could either be sent to the front line or retained in the homeland sector.

The front line sector would be like the SEOW sector campaigns we already know and love: intense combat and manoeuvering. On the other hand, the homeland sectors would be quite different. These would be subject to limited and occasional level bombing attacks in order to disrupt industrial production, countered by fighter screens and heavy flak. So, front line could be the full-on combat sector, whilst the homeland sectors are for limited numbers of pilots (if any), sporadic missions, bombing restrictions etc.

Brandle's original idea was to use Berlin and Moscow as the homeland sectors, and Kurland as the front line sector. That is three sectors to keep ticking over a couple of times per week. Plenty of room for people to be involved in various capacities.

Any comments?

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

102nd-HR-cmirko

I'm in :) - will this "proof of concept" hosted in Euro or NA/Australian timezones ? can we try DB "replication" for all 3 timezones at the same time or should we keep it simple for starters ?
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Cmirko, if you want to try DB replication, then go ahead! I am not sure how to do that, but it could be very nice if it works. If you want to establish a remote MySQL connection to the SEOWHQ DB, I'll need an IP to whitelist.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

102nd-HR-cmirko

will write you a longer pm later .....

- but yes i would like to try it :) - it would be nice if we could all play the same campaign :) - maybe even mixed time zones over weekends :)
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

OK, the new release is available and it has support for multi-sector operations, so we are in a position to start designing our first test of an Aces Campaign. Now is the time for commanders interested in taking part to announce themselves here. Presently I have had firm commitments from (in no particular order):
  • 102nd_HR_cmirko (Croatia),
    II/JG3K.Brandle (USA)
    IV/JG7_Warg (Australia)
    II/JG77Hawk_12 (Australia)
    Hitcher (USA)
    IV/JG7_Dogsbody (Australia)
    =69.GIAP=PAVEL (Spain)
    =69.GIAP=CONAN (USA)
    Paddington (Finland)
    22GCT_Gross (Italy)
    13sqn_Taipan (Australia)
    13sqn_Baxter (Australia)
I am not looking for squads or pilots yet, although we will eventually need them, I am interested in finding experienced and committed commanders who want to operate at the highest SEOW level.

Here's what I propose. We run 6 simultaneous sectors, all starting at the same campaign date and time. Each side will be allocated one overall Supreme Commander who will be responsible for resource sharing and allocation among sectors according to needs. Sector Commanders will be appointed to sectors (ideally no Sector Commander will have authority in more than one sector) and will have to strive to meet the objectives set by the Supreme Commander with the supplies and reinforcements given. Reinforcements will be produced entirely by Factory Production using historical availability with restricted unit types (e.g. no Japanese units in Europe). The SEOW HQ database set and MP at seowhq.net will be the authoritative campaign resource, although DB replication or mirroring will be allowed if it can be set up, e.g. by Cmirko.

The proposed sector list is:
  • Berlin (Axis home sector, Allied level bombing, Axis army/air production)
    Kurland (front line, Axis navy production, Allied production)
    North Sea (front line, shipping actions, aerial interdiction)
    Murmansk (front line, shipping actions, Allied production)
    L'vov (front line, Allied production)
    Tubruq (front line)
with a nominal starting date of something like May 1941 and a pseudo-historical strategic situation. Front line templates will be made in isolation and merged using the standard tool.

Some of these sectors may end sooner than others as objectives are achieved or not. Within general guidelines and objectives set for all campaigns, e.g. DCS campaign settings and sector objectives, each sector can be templated to a scale decided by the sector commanders. That is, the opposing commanders in, say, L'vov, may decide they want to average 30 pilots per mission and have a suitably powerful coop host, whilst the Tubruq and Murmansk commanders may seek to have a very light template and low pilot numbers, concentrating on AI action. This sector scaling will be at the discretion of the local sector commanders, as will be object movement and flight limitations. Squad and freelance pilots will be allowed to join sector coops by invitation of the sector commanders only. Brandle has shown most interest in developing the total campaign historical context and has offered to provide sample templates for some of the six sectors, but I expect that other commanders may also have good ideas so I encourage all to join in discussions ASAP at the SEOW HQ TS server.

Finally, an important word on motivation and philosophy about the Aces campaign series. It is not my goal to provide the IL2 community with a massive SEOW campaign that gauges its success by numbers of pilots taking part. Having lots of players is fun, but there are lots of other online wars out there that do a great job of drawing large numbers of players. If flying fighters against 50 other guys all the time is what turns you on, then SEOW Aces is not for you. In SEOW Aces we are concerned with historical warfare simulation. Fighters will be only a small proportion of the plane set. Bombers, jabos, transports and recon will be the focus, like it really was in WW2. Full supply rules will be in force.

SEOW Aces is not about me providing fun on a plate for everyone else to just show up and consume. It is about all of us getting together and contributing skills and effort to each other in producing an engrossing and rewarding strategic campaign experience. If we get to a stage where commanders are not working together to build and maintain a rewarding campaign, or squad politics starts to impede progress, then I reserve the right to invite the antagonists to leave! I never want to hear anyone say "but I don't fly Red" or "I can't fly a bomber" or "I hate night missions, I'll go to Spits vs 109s instead". That is not SEOW Ace level.

So now, the discussion commences in earnest - we all need to discuss things like resupply point placement, notional starting front lines, hosting and time zones etc. But maybe most importantly, do you guys think we should set up a special forum at SEOW HQ to handle all the discussions, or should it be hosted here at Official SEOW? I personally prefer the new forum at SEOW HQ route, but I can be persuaded! :)

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Hitcher

Post by Hitcher »

I am really looking forward to this, Shades! I would like to call shotgun on the Tubruq (front line) sector and I will be looking to command the Axis forces there. My preference is to keep this one very small and focused and will need to find a like-minded Allied commander to present the opposition.

As far as the forums go, you know I prefer to use this forum, if possible. But, I can also be persuaded.
:wink:
Hitcher
102nd-HR-cmirko

102nd_COOP_ded is in the process of rebuild right now so we will not be able to host missions or campaign for at least 2 more weeks, that being said - i already asked one question in tech discussion :) in regard to db cloning....

I can command any of sectors currently planned, although supreme commander is not my thingie :D - will let someone else fill that role :D

as far as building templates for various sectors I know its a big job but my opinion is that we will need starting points completely defined before actually putting any units on map - meaning that we need ROE for each sector made up by one man with complete historical accuracy - I think that Brandle is the ideal man for the job :) - as far as starting date of campaign i think that spring or summer of 1942 would present us with a much more "balanced" planesets as far as il2 goes :)

i think that a special forum should be opened (at least a special room on this forum) because it will be easier to track progress of discussion and campaign decisions :)

as far as DB cloning is concerned - i will need one SEOW admin to come forward and a little of his time to test my idea - the idea is actually fairly simple and very secure method of "sharing" DB's between servers :) - it involves remote web access script which generates DB backup and at the same time ftp upload capability - same script can be used to import DB on server which "receives" DB :) - all very simple to install, setup and operate :) (http://www.phpmybackuppro.net/)
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Cmirko,

if you like I can install phpmybackuppro at SEOW HQ and make a downloads folder available through password access. Does it work 100%? I have tried some similar tools before and they aren't perfect, especially with string escaping problems etc.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

102nd-HR-cmirko

pm sent m8
EJGr.Ost_Chamel

Post by EJGr.Ost_Chamel »

I have always read this thread with a lot of interest and I am very happy to see, that you want to integrate the new Tubruq Map into the test campaign for the new ace series. But I was told by my squadmate "EJGr.Ost_Caspar" (who has created the textures for the MTO map = SEOW-Tubruq sector) that they have to do some more changes to the map before it is released with the final 4.09 patch. Probably some roads have to be redone partially.
I don't know yet, how much will be changed and as son as the final version of the 4.09 patch will be available, I will prepare the necessary data to adapt the db. But I wanted to inform everyone, that the now released database will not be 100% compatible with the final version of the MTO map!

Greetings

Chamel
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Thanks Chamel, I didn't know that. Nice information.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

13_Taipan

Post by 13_Taipan »

S`

hi guys, looking forward to this one, I'd like to see a seperate forum for campaigning, here we thrash out database issues, address and report bugs etc, IMHO with the new seowhq site campaign forums will grow rapidly, with the new Korea and Darwin raid campaigns we're working on we'd like campaign forums for those and I like to have a look at other ppls campaign discussions, its always nice to see what other ppl are doing.
I tend to see this forum as a technical resource.

my two cents worth anyway :)

cheers
13_Taipan
II/JG7_Warg

Post by II/JG7_Warg »

G'day from Oz.

If we can keep it clean and simple then I think we can get it to fly. I'd like to have clear communications on this, so that we are all moving in the same direction and nobody is unintentional cut out of the loop. We'll also need to have some sort of scedule that is available and communicated to everybody.

My thoughts on what has been proposed? Well lets see............................

1. I'd like to see the Allies have an equivalent of the all blue Berlin map. For this I would suggest using the Normandy map as a coastal England map. True the orientation is all wrong, but it does have a fair number of industrials to produce English & American equipment. The Kurland, Murmansk & Lvov maps, have ample scope to produce the Soviet stuff.

2. We allocate the frontline maps, i.e. Kurland, North Sea, Murmansk, Lvov & Tobruk on the basis of common time zones. This will make it much easier to organise, plan and play the missions. For example, Kurland for the Western European time zone, North Sea for Eastern Europeans, Murmansk for Eastern Americas, Lvov for the Western Americas and Tobruk for Australian & New Zealand time zones. Can work out who gets what later on. These maps are used on week days in each of the areas.

3. The home front maps, such as Berlin & England (Normandy) are reserved for weekend play. Yet to determine who, if anyone controls these maps. In any case, they will have a strategic flavour and be principally nocturnal bombing missions. Maybe put some rule in that new aircraft production on these maps, is held there for a set period of time, before allocation to the frontline maps. This will ensure that the home front maps have aircraft to defend their industrial targets.

4. We set the ratio of one weeks worth of missions be equal to one day of the Global Scorched Earth Campaign. Each mission lasts for up to two hours. Each frontline map is required to host five of these missions, all daylight & consecutive, i.e. 8.00, 10.00, 12.00, 14.00 & 16.00 during the weekdays. The home front maps, are for weekend use, with three missions on each, such as dusk = Friday night, midnight = Saturday night and dawn = Sunday night two hour missions. At the end of the week (after Friday nights missions), a new Global Scorched Earth's day starts or rolls over. Anyway something along these lines & I'm sure will be debated.

5. No restriction on guests from other sectors if space is availabe. Personally, would love to see the occasional Finn, Croation or New Yorker in the Australian & New Zealand time zones. I'd also encourage those flyers that will fly anything, as it builds character and gets my respect and admiration. On this, can investigate the new flyable mods now available. Flyable recon. & transport aircraft. Oh yes, Brandle, in case you haven't tested it yet, you can now pilot a flyable C-47 or Tantee Ju towing a glider. Adds another aspect to the punishment flight scenarios.

6. Setting up forums for red and blue on each map front. Use the Allied & Axis view only passwords on each of the maps to access these forums. But have an unrestricted general forum for those wishing to compete in a particular Global Scorched Earth Sector. This forum can then be vetted by each sectors respective commander for new participants.

7. You will need to work out some allocation rules, of who gets what for supplies. To what extent can equipment be shifted between fronts? How do we determine what resources are used against the home front maps (Berlin & England)? Still plenty of questions and debates for this and more.

Anyway, thats me done for now. Hopefully this generates some comment and further progress in this endeavour.

Regards, Warg
102nd-HR-cmirko

I agree with all of Wargs suggestions except one :) - I'm totally opposed to any mod in this campaign - reason is simple really - it would mean that all of the participants have to have same mod installed and also that all servers must run crt=1 settings (this would pose a problem for 2 coop_ded servers for sure since we both run crt=2 settings as far as i know)

S!