next season - a big campaign you are invited

A meeting place for people running SEOW campaigns and people who want to participate in SEOW campaigns.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

102nd-HR-cmirko

Post by 102nd-HR-cmirko »

Hi Diego, please note - 102nd-YU- squad will send its application today, but we are not from Croatia - we are from ex yugoslavia :)

cheers
22GCT_Gross

Post by 22GCT_Gross »

Sorry :(
22GCT_Gross
102nd-HR-cmirko

Post by 102nd-HR-cmirko »

no problem at all :), its just that people assume that 102nd is from Croatia because of my nonstandard nick :)

cheers
PA-Dore

Post by PA-Dore »

In any case, we are building the flying Europe, is not it? Well, what can we do about the case 4Shades walking upside down? :lol:
II/JG7_Warg

Post by II/JG7_Warg »

G'day all,

Not sure whether there is already someone building the Midway battle template or if the cordinates have changed from the older map, but I have an existing one which is fairly close to scale (both area and units) on my hardrive. This encompases USN Task Forces 16 & 17 and the 1st Carrier Strike Force of the IJN. (7 x fleet carriers). This could save some time linking the hundreds of aircraft to these ships, though would need to redo some links when new ships are used. Please note that on the original map, the IJN Main Force and Midway invasion force are not included and would need to be introduced as reinforcements, as would the meagre USN support units deployed further back at the French Shoals. Midway garrison, aerial and naval units deployed on template.

Apart from my query about the new Midway map, am curious about what other aircraft may be available in time for the campaign. Specifically, any possibility of TBD Devastator's being ready? Have used earliest model of TBF Avengers for these in the USN VT units. Also used F2A-2, SBD-3, Li-2 & B6N as proxies for the F2A-3 Buffalo, SBU-1 Vindicator, B-18 Bolo (all on Midway Is) and for IJN carrier based Judy scout aircraft.

From past experience in an earlier Midway campaign, be aware that due attention needs to be paid to the ordinance carried by the SBD-3 Dauntless dive bombers (centreline only for 1942 VB & VS unit fleet strike actions) and the need to adjust the database for this with Navicat. As a simple rule, I tend to use 500lb for VB (dive bomber), 250lb for VS (scout bomber) - might be an idea to use the SBD-5 to enable this and adjust recon parameters? Range was a factor here and no wing bombs at all, as these were used for short range shore bombardment. In this battle the Zeros or Wildcats were fighter and not anti-shipping weapons. Additionally those drop tanks on the Wildcats were ferry tanks and were never used in combat. (Only for transit flights from Espirito Santo to Guadalcanal) That's part of the reason why the longer legs of the Hellcats were much appreciated later on. These mission involve long, long flights over open ocean, posing challenges to skills in navigation, fuel economy and situational awareness. Is a totally different ball game to the other campaigns.

Thats me for now, expect 4Shades will be sorting out where and when the Australians will be participating.

Regards,
Warg
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Partial response to Warg: Charlie has contibuted Midway Large to SEOW. This map extends to Pearl & Hermes Shoals, and is near full scale.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

JG26_Badger

Post by JG26_Badger »

S~ All:

JG26 squadron is new to the SEOW and have no idea how it works. I flew in a few missions with the 22GCT members and I had a ball. At present we are trying to get all our members to get the HSFX 4.0 installed and running. We have members in different time zones ( most members are in the USA and some in europe).

I have downloaded the application form. We would like to participate just do not have hard numbers yet. When is the deadline for submission of the form due? When do you anticipate starting the campaign? Is there any training on how to use the SEOW?

Thanks

S~ JG26_Badger
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Badger,

See my reply in the other thread. Most evenings and mornings you can drop by SEOW HQ Teamspeak and have a chat to SEOW veterans to increase your learning speed (address 85.14.216.230:8769, pw "seow").

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

22GCT_Gross

Post by 22GCT_Gross »

hello,

Discussion moved to http://seowhq.net/seowhqforum/viewtopic.php?p=3556#3556

Register and ask the usergroup association by the "Usergroup" menu-

Thank you.
22GCT_Gross
RAF74_Buzzsaw

Post by RAF74_Buzzsaw »

Salute

Are you taking individual participants?

I'd be interested in flying as a guest of one of the Allied Squads in the N American timeslots.
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Buzz,

Yes, go to the HQ Forum site and register etc. There are several freelancers putting their hands up now and I expect that the organizers would be keen to get committed participants.

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer