New to SEOW

A meeting place for people running SEOW campaigns and people who want to participate in SEOW campaigns.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

BuzzumFrog

New to SEOW

Post by BuzzumFrog »

Hello,

I've been shamelessly lurking around these forums and the SEOW wiki pages and I wanted to finally introduce myself and inquire if there are any open SEOW campaigns going on. I've played online IL-2 cooperative campaigns with a couple of my buddies using Lowengrin's fantastic DCG generator, but lately they have been proving a little repetitive and I wanted to try out something more fresh / dynamic.

Are there any ongoing campaigns that are accepting single players (i.e. not part of an established squadron)? As I said before I am new to SEOW style campaigns but I would very much like to experience them and learn more about how they play through.

Thank you.
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Welcome BuzzumFrog,

I remember playing DCG coops probably 8 or 9 years ago. They were a great way for the squad I was in to get together and fly. But we found that they became very predictable (we had to dial in our opposition after all!). Lowengrin has made many improvements since then, but we were after something more convincing with the element of surprise.

SEOW is very different in the way missions and campaigns are set up and planned, but in the end each mission is played out as a standard IL-2 coop. To fly in SEOW all you need is a copy of IL-2 with the same version as the SEOW mission host - usually HSFX because of its in-built support for SEOW. But to command in SEOW, you only need a web browser that is compliant with Internet Explorer 8. I use Firefox with IETab2 enabled, which does the job perfectly.

Many people who play SEOW just turn up and fly and have no idea about the campaign context. That is a real shame, because SEOW offers so much more than the in-cockpit experience. Learning to command is where the action really is, and the principles are pretty easy.

Anyway, there are some small campaigns running now and some major new ones in development. It all depends on your timezone and preferred timeslots. Some instances I know of are:

SEOW HQ (Australia): 3 campaigns: Singapore, Malta and Lvov. Run weekly but in a little hiatus now for Christmas/New Year. Usual time 8.30 pm (GMT+8 ). Also scoping a Kiev campaign.

102nd (Serbia): Now developing a Stalingrad campaign.

ITA-SEOW (Italy): Now developing a Barents Sea campaign.

69.GIAP/Zoi (USA): Now running a Dieppe campaign.

PA (France): Now developing a Burma campaign.

Drop by at SEOW HQ TS and say hello. We can have a chat, provide a bit of training and orientation etc.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Zoi

Post by Zoi »

If your in the NA time zone send me a PM and I can tell you how you and your mates can get involved in campaigns that I run.
BuzzumFrog

Post by BuzzumFrog »

Zoi, we are in the NA timezones and I sent you a quick PM saying as much. Thank you for your info.

Shades, I must say I find it very refreshing to find the developer of a piece of software so involved in the community surrounding it, awesome even!!

For now we are looking to fly where the missions have a little more meaning in the overall conduct of the campaign than our DCG coop. What day of the week do the SEOW HQ campaigns fly on?
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

At the moment Saturday evenings are the time. That is Saturday morning in the US timeslots.

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Zoi

Post by Zoi »

I sent you a reply, unfortunately I'm going to be out of town and away from a computer for a few days. I will let you know when I return.
IAF_Alon

new to seow

Post by IAF_Alon »

i'm new in SEOW. i would like to learn to set up a campaign .where can i learn or participate in a campaign setup from scratch.?
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Alon,

You can talk to the guys who have already done it, e.g. Gross, Petr, Emil, Dore, Hawk_5, Badger, Charlie, Devill, Cmirko etc. Alternatively, you can drop by SEOW HQ TS server and discuss with people there.

The Wiki is a good starting point too.

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

IAF_Alon

seow

Post by IAF_Alon »

I will try to get in touch with them