RSS Feed for SEOW Software Versions

For bug reports and fixes, installation issues, and new ideas for technical features.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

IV/JG7_4Shades

RSS Feed for SEOW Software Versions

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

I have added an RSS feed to the Mission Planner (v7.0.19).

If you subscribe to the feed on any Mission Planner, you will see the version numbers for the MP and for the Statistics engine software components that are installed on that Mission Planner, and you can also see the installation/upgrade dates. As versions are upgraded, the RSS feed should automatically propagate the new information to all subscribers.

This feed may be of interest to those people who are managing their own SEOW installs and want to compare them to or synchronize them with, for example, the SEOW HQ version, or at least be alerted automatically that a new version exists.

The RSS icon is on the front page of the MP, right at the bottom next to the version text. Just click on it and subscribe using your browser or RSS feed aggregator of choice. As this is new there may be some bugs, so please report here if you find any.

For SEOW Managers:
The RSS feed is referenced in the MP4public/Scripts/default-{green,iron,sepia}.php files and the supporting script and images are in the new "rss" folder in the MP. To configure your feed name, edit MP4public/rss/seowrss.php and change the line

Code: Select all

$SITE_NAME	= "Your SEOW Server";
to suit your needs.

Enjoy!
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

PA-Dore

Post by PA-Dore »

Great addon!
II/JG77Hawk_5

Post by II/JG77Hawk_5 »

Looks like a great feature.

However, It only displays correctly for me if I use Internet Explorer but not if I'm using latest Firefox with IE Tab.

Looks great in IE though although I never use it (the browser).
Is this feature supposed to be supported by Firefox? Or could it?

My system:
Firefox v 27.0.1
IE 10 using IE Tab with IE 9 compatability and tested IE 9 Forced Standards Mode as well. (not functioning in either mode)

All I see is the text when clicking on the RSS feed icon.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
-<rss version="2.0">-<channel><title>Hawk_5 SEOW Server: SEOW Software Versions</title><link>http://discoveryone:80/SEOW7/MP4public/ ... iption>The latest production versions of SEOW software at Hawk_5 SEOW Server.</description><pubDate>Sun, 02 Mar 2014 17:19:07 +0000</pubDate><lastBuildDate>Sun, 02 Mar 2014 17:25:01 +0000</lastBuildDate><ttl>60</ttl>-<item><title>Mission Planner</title><link>http://discoveryone:80/SEOW7/MP4public/ ... ubDate>Sun, 02 Mar 2014 17:19:07 +0000</pubDate><description>Hawk_5 SEOW Server is running SEOW Mission Planner v7.0.20</description></item>-<item><title>Statistics</title><link>http://discoveryone:80/SEOW7/MP4public/ ... ubDate>Sat, 01 Mar 2014 09:52:11 +0000</pubDate><description>Hawk_5 SEOW Server is running SEOW Statistics Tool v7.0.9</description></item></channel></rss>

Observation:
When using in IE there is a line that has the date of last update for the Mission Planner and Statistics with a small arrow pointing right. Moving mouse over that displays "go to full article". Clicking on this arrow takes you to a page looking like an FTP directory for the whole MP directory tree where you can access all MP files. Not sure if this is correct or expected.

Cheers,
Hawk_5
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Works well for me with IE11, and seems not to be working sensibly using Firefox 27.0.1.

There are a range of free RSS feed tools you can use. I just downloaded FeedReader (http://feedreader.com/download) and it works fine with the SEOW feed from HQ. FeedReader has notifications so it will play a sound and pop a window up if it detects a change in the feed.

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Given that this simple feed can be tweaked to be reliable and useful, the obvious next question is how can we use this technology to improve the commander/player experience?

Here are some ideas:

Unauthenticated
  • Feed the number of missions currently planned for each side in a campaign
    Feed the number of missions reported in Stats in a campaign
    Feed the top ranking pilots in a campaign
    Feed the capital points balance for each side in a campaign
Authenticated
  • Feed the updated campaign notices for a side in a campaign
    Feed the updated pilot reports for a side in a campaign
    Feed the new planned mission titles for a side in a campaign

Does anyone else have some ideas to add?

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

PA-Dore

Post by PA-Dore »

Number of free human slot in the Roster pilot in each side.?