Expanding Shipborne Radar Function

For bug reports and fixes, installation issues, and new ideas for technical features.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

Kopfdorfer

Expanding Shipborne Radar Function

Post by Kopfdorfer »

As I briefly discussed with 4Shades,
I had a thought last night after reading a good book about the Battles for Guadalcanal , and it occurred to me that it might not take a great deal of adjustment (especially for me!) to the existing system to have Ships radar showing other ships as well as aircraft.
Clearly the data of the ships location and movement information already exists , the difficulty lies in :
1) having the information appear in the Radar Operator Screen of SEOW , and
2) determining to what extant the effectiveness of radar is modelled , and
3) determining and then (possibly) implementing the variables of such that might be adjusted within the DCS by campaign designers to represent the inherent qualities of radars of different nations at different points in the war (WW2).

Here are the quantifiable elements as far as I can determine - suggestions and additions encouraged...
a. range - how far does the radar scan ?
b.accuracy - positional , and qualitative.
How close are the ships to the plotted positions?
How can interference (usually due to nearby land masses , and other ships ) be represented ?
c.reliability - how often does the equipment breakdown , how long is it down , how many extra resources from the ships
store does it require to repair? Is repair automatic or should it be optionally detailed by the commander?
d.which ships should have Ship to Ship radar , and must it be hard coded , or can it be managed through SEOW rather than
a mod ?

Of course , such radar was chiefly used to guide naval gunfire , NOT to direct aircraft , and so may not be within the accepted mandate of SEOW to explore.

Just Ruminating.

Kopf