Considerations on Plotting in a Combined IL2/Arma Campaign

For bug reports and fixes, installation issues, and new ideas for technical features.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

Kopfdorfer

Considerations on Plotting in a Combined IL2/Arma Campaign

Post by Kopfdorfer »

[This is the duplicate of a thread I posted in the Winter Boardroom 43 ; at 4Shades request I have also posted it here]

This is pursuant to a conversation with 4Shades and JG26 Badger the other night.

In dealing with the combined campaign concept with both IL2 and Arma scenario resolution activated some problems arise insofar as thinking as an overall campaign commander are concerned.

If the Arma maps are activated and the DMZ is considered an exclusion zone in the MP , the Arma maps become an artificial "terrain" that by definition restricts movement on the overall MP map.

In addition , where the Arma Maps are in close proximity , the small areas between the DMZs become artificial "Kill Zones".
Please see for example the gap between Arma maps in AC-11 and AB-12 and -13 of the Zhitomir campaign map.
If commanders of both sides know that the enemy must traverse through the narrow corridors between the DMZs , they can create defensive "kill zones" easily with a few key units , perhaps where there would be no defense normally.

I must say that not having Arma installed myself , and with no immediate desire/ability to do so , I am biased to the resolution by IL2 concept. But honestly as a campaigner , it seems to me an artificial constraint to decisions and plans to have these exclusion zones , especially those that have been created (with good reason!) right in key areas of the campaign map.

Also consider Arma maps across key road or railroad sections. If a commander has need to move units through such a sector in a timely manner , and cannot do so , then his units may be compromised in their effectiveness or even survival solely due to the Arma map , which may not even be used.

The ideal resolution would be (it seems to me) to be able to plot the campaign moves normally with no constraints , and then to determine if and where the resolution would be appropriate or desired in the ARMA format.
Whether this can be achieved I do not know , but as "exclusion zones" , the areas mapped as Arma maps currently restrict what is normal and logical movement viewed as a military commander.

I have no problem seeing these areas on the MP ; my issue is with them restricting command choices of where to move and fight.

I guess one of the primary things to assess with this inaugural joint resolution campaign is to brainstorm for a mechanism which serves the easy determination of what can be an ARMA map area , without interfering with the normal considerations of military command choices in a given campaign.

Hopefully some of you other guys will have some creative thoughts in this regard.

Kopfdorfer