SEDCS and 64 bits?

For bug reports and fixes, installation issues, and new ideas for technical features.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

II/JG54_Emil

Post by II/JG54_Emil »

Hello 4Shades,

is it possible that this HOWTO is not appropriate anymore since SEDCS-v3.2.7?
At least I can´t get it to work anymore with Win7 64bit.

I also noticed that there are 2 exe files now within "C:\Program Files (x86)\Scorched Earth online War System". One is named SEOW-DCS-V3.2.7.exe is the real exe is named SEOW-DCS-V3.2.7, I don´t know if that matters.
IV/JG7_4Shades wrote: 1. Download SEDCSv3.2.3 installer from http://sourceforge.net/projects/seow/files/.

2. Install SEDCS by running the installer. Should take about 5 seconds. For me, this installed the program into "C:\Program Files (x86)".

3. In Windows Explorer, navigate to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Scorched Earth online War System", right-click on SEOW-DCS-V3.2.3.exe, select Properties, then select the Compatibility tab. Enable "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and use the pull-down menu to select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)". Hit OK.

4. Download MyODBC v3.51.x from http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc/3.51.html, choosing the Windows x64 "Without installer (AMD64 / Intel EM64T)" download zip file. About 16 MB in size.

5. Extract the zip into a new folder somewhere handy, e.g. C:\MyODBC .

6. Run a cmd tool (black DOS window) as Administrator, change directory to inside the MyODBC folder. In my example it would be C:\MyODBC\mysql-connector-odbc-noinstall-3.51.27-winx64 .

7. Type "Install 0" and hit enter. This registers the MyODBC driver in the operating system, takes about 5 seconds.

8. Open SEDCS (double click the desktop icon) and point it at an existing MySQL SEDB database and hit "Make Database Connection". Happiness!

By going through this process you will run SEDCS (a 32-bit application) in compatibility mode using a 64-bit version of the MyODBC interface. To create my MySQL server environment I installed the 64-bit MySQL 5.1.37 server (http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.1.html#winx64) and established SEDB databases using the standard SEDB release .sql files.

I hope this helps some people build their own SEOW system on 64-bit architecture.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Still works for me. I think you need to uninstall and try again. There is no duplicate 3.2.7 executable, so something has gone wrong for you (but you already knew that!)

We did get it working with Win7 (32) on the weekend.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

II/JG54_Emil

Post by II/JG54_Emil »

Hm I redownloaded the SEDCS-v3.2.7 installed it and come to the same result with those 2 files. One is a fake exe and the other is a the real exe:
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Emil,

Aah, I see now. Your folder view is not showing file extensions. One of those files (the XML one) actually has a ".config" appended to its filename and the other one (Anwendung) has a ".exe" appended to its filename. Maybe you are executing the wrong one?

I recommend you enable display of filename extensions.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

II/JG54_Emil

Post by II/JG54_Emil »

Hi 4 Shades,

I got it working on my old Win7 OS but my primaray harddisk frakked up and I had to reinstall everything from scratch.

Now it doesn´t work anymore, though I follow every stepp of the tutorial.

Is there a way to make this run under Ubuntu, so I could run this from the rootserver?

I want to fly SEOW since one year but the SEOW-god hates me.
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Maybe using a virtual windows machine may help. Can you get Wine to run on Ubuntu?

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

II/JG54_Emil

Post by II/JG54_Emil »

Yes we use Ubuntu Jaunty on our 64bit root-server and have a dedicated server running with wine.

I installed SEDCS-v3.2.7 with wine on the root server, but can´t make it run.

The Idea with Ubuntu was just the most straightest, as the database is located on that server too and I might jsut aswell host the coops from that server.

Probably, the easiest way is to make a nother installation of XP on my PC.
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Emil,

My home PC is dual-booted with Windows XP32 and Vista64. DCS runs fine on both platforms, but I think you already knew that!

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

II/JG54_Emil

Post by II/JG54_Emil »

ehem, I got it to work!!! :D

The trick was following 4SHades Tutorial super-hammer-precisely!

I didn´t open the cmd as admin before(I don´t know what the command to open it as admin is).

I then went to: C:\Windows\System32
and opened the cmd.exe as admin.

This did the trick.
slamelov

Post by slamelov »

I followed the 4Shades tutorial and still does not work :(
deadfred

Post by deadfred »

me neither, I ended up having to use virtualbox & winxp32 (with 32mb ram) for the sole purpose of running DCS.
slamelov

Post by slamelov »

deadfred wrote:me neither, I ended up having to use virtualbox & winxp32 (with 32mb ram) for the sole purpose of running DCS.
I have tried Virtual Box, but DCS does not start. It says...
"the aplication failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click OK to terminate application".

Any tip?

EDIT: I forgot to install Net Framework...

Anyway, still does not connect, and I can connect using MySQL Front.
:?:
deadfred

Post by deadfred »

Here is what I did.

-Create new VM in Virtualbox (Windows XP - 32 mb ram)
-Boot VM after install
-Install .net framework
-Install ODCB Mysql plugin
-Install DCS
-Connect
Logite

Post by Logite »

I was just about to post a question regarding this and I must say, this worked flawlessly.

Thank you :)
PhilHL

Post by PhilHL »

I also followed 4Shades tutorial but still i cannot connect to a access database.

what i did:

I already installed:

- SEDCS v3.2.22 (the only version i can download at the moment)
- mysql-connector-odbc-noinstall-3.51.28-winx64 with windows command windows run as admin and "install 0" installation was successful
- microsoft .NET framework 2.0 SDK (x64)
- office 2003 sp3

I use win 7 64 bit and the newest SEDB32G.mdb database.
I tried to use compatibility mode xp with and without service packs and run as admin, but still...

... if i try to connect, it refuses it.

Any ideas? thank you very much :)

Phil

EDIT: Got it working with Oracke VM Virtual Manager and a win 2000 sp3 installation, installed everything and its working just from the start.

thank you deadfred for the very usefull tip and explanation!