SEDCS and 64 bits?

For bug reports and fixes, installation issues, and new ideas for technical features.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

Ala13_Nachote

SEDCS and 64 bits?

Post by Ala13_Nachote »

Hello all :)

Recently i have set up a new test partition with Windows XP Pro X64 for hosting SEOW games, installed ODBC 3.51 and NET Framework 2.0 x64(specific version for 64bits), and of course SEDCS 3.0 a11. But i cant connect to DDBB. Has someone find the way to made it work in 64 bits system?

Regards

Ala13_Nachote
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Nachote,

We are presently using the (free) VisualStudio 2005 Express as the IDE for SEDCS3.x. Unfortunately this IDE does not create 64-bit executables, so current releases of SEDCS will only be available in 32-bit format.

If someone has a full version of VisualStudio 2005, then they should be able to build a 64-bit SEDCS executable - just ask me for the VS project files. I guess the big unknown is whether MyODBC is available in a 64-bit version too.

Hopefully 64-bit Windows will run 32-bit applications in a compatibility mode.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Murdock

Try this 32bit odbc workaround..

Post by Murdock »

Known 'issue' in vista. Not really a bug. You have to fool your Vista system to use 32bit odbc drivers.

http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=25259

Read that very carefully, as as always, I'm not responsible for blowing your system sky high!. lol. Looks harmless enough ,especially if you control the box and dont have any 64 bit compiled software on it that uses odbc drivers**.

More threads on topic-
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPo ... 1&SiteID=1

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/for ... 8003704831

Summary:
You have to use the 32bit odbc control panel to properly install/config myodbc drivers on Vista.

Regards,
Murdock
SEOW Tech Support
102nd-HR-cmirko

Post by 102nd-HR-cmirko »

my squad m8 works with visual studio 2005 in his RL job, if you need 64bit executable i can ask him to compile it for you...., shouldn't be a problem even to do it on a regular basis for all versions.....

:)
eaf92_brigstock

Post by eaf92_brigstock »

I'm dragging this thread up from the dead because I've just updated my system to Vista64 bit and have been trying to get SEDCS to work.
At first I thought I'd need 64bit MyODBC, however I have found out that is only required for 64bit programs.
So I installed the 32bit ODBC driver which installed without issue and happily connected to my SE database. Unfortunately SEDCS doesn't. At a guess I think it because the 32bit odbc resides in a folder called SysWow64 and the 64bit odbc sits in system32 (odd naming convention there microsoft :roll: )
Can we have a Vista64 compatible SEDCS.exe?......please :)
Brigstock
102nd-HR-cmirko

Post by 102nd-HR-cmirko »

my offer still stands, my squad m8 is .net programmer in RL so he does have visual studio 2005 on xp32bit at home and visual studio 2008 on vista64 at his workplace

@4Shades - he says that he doesn't really know details about compatibility, but if you send me/him the source (project) he can try and make executables for 64bit windows....

S!
eaf92_brigstock

SEDCS doesn't need to be compiled as a 64bit .exe. The standard 32bit will install and run. The only difference that I can see that would cause issue is the fact that the 32bit odbc does not sit in system32 but in Syswow64. I suspect SEDCS either uses a path to system32 or a system variable to pick up the odbc driver. If an alternative sedcs.exe with compiled that looks in syswow64 I'm sure it would work.
Brigstock
eaf92_brigstock

It works ! !! :D
For reference:
SEDCS will install to vista64, however 32bit 3.51 installer will only install to syswow64, which means SEDCS will not see it. The workaround is to manually install the 64bit 3.51 to the system32 folder.
Download the 64 bit 3.51 ODBC, unzip it and move all the files and folder to the windows/system32 folder.
Open a command prompt and navigate to the system32 folder and run the install.bat.
Simple :D
I did have a red herring along the way as some info I was given was that the 64bit version of 3.51 was only for 64bit apps, it doesn't appear to be the case though

EDIT: I did grant my user "full "Control" over the windows folder, the driver didn't register in my first attempt so I gave myself full control and it went in OK.
Last edited by eaf92_brigstock on Mon 22 Sep 2008 6:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brigstock
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Brigstock,

:D Well done mate. The DCS is compiled without hard-coding of system and .NET library paths, so in general you should be able to put the right DLLs in the right places and just run the standard DCS release executable. This is basically exactly what you did, I think.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

eaf92_brigstock

Exactly Shades,

The 64bit app only info through me for a while.

SEDCS installs and runs without issue, the 32bit OBDC installs and works as it should, I tested the connection. But it installs the dlls into 32bit syswow64 folder rather than the 64 bit system32 (still cant get over MS's naming convention LOL) That meant that although the MySQL driver was installed and a connection could be made, SEDCS didn't see it. So I tried to add syswow64 as a system variable. That didn't work either.

Bearing in mind I still had the 64bit driver for 64bit apps info in my head I thought I'd give it a go anyway. Bingo
The manual 64bit install is not as simple as running the 32bit installer, but it isn't too tricky either, there just wasn't a lot of documentation on the process involved.

Did some late night testing last night, loaded a template, planned a mission, ran the mission then uploaded the result. No issues :D
Brigstock
VT-51_Thud

Post by VT-51_Thud »

I'm feeling like a total idiot on how to make this work. Any chance one of you might be able to translate these steps into simpler steps I can follow? :?

I undertand the basics of what to do put not sure exactly what files to move to which folders. My concern is copying folders will over-write existing folders and pontentially screwing things up.
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Thud,

I gather Brigstock had to find a 64-bit version of MyODBC, and install it in the right place. You'd better PM him to get more information. I haven't tried this myself as I am still running XP.

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

VT-51_Thud

Post by VT-51_Thud »

Thank you. Yeh, I found the 64-bit version but it is weak on instructions.
eaf92_brigstock

VT-51_Thud wrote:Thank you. Yeh, I found the 64-bit version but it is weak on instructions.
Hi Thud

Download the package.
And copy the contents to your C:\windows\system32 folder.

Then open a cmd prompt using the runas command
navigate to system32 and run the install.bat
Brigstock
VT-51_Thud

Post by VT-51_Thud »

Excellent brigstock. Thank you for the reply.