New in SEOW 3.1.0: How to resupply your forces

Primary feature documentation from the SEOW Development Team.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

IV/JG7_4Shades

New in SEOW 3.1.0: How to resupply your forces

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Other threads in this room discuss the theory of resupply tracking in SEOW, so let's concentrate on simple practical things commanders need to know.

How do I resupply my unit?
You have two choices: (1) Move the platoon to a source of supply; or (2) Move a source of supply to your platoon.

Option (1)
If your unit is an army unit, i.e. a platoon, then you must move it within the normal control radius of a supply resource. Your platoon will search for the following resources (in order of priority):
1. supply drops
2. freight transport units (carrying supplies)
3. fuel dumps (industrial installation fuel dumps)
4. airbases
5. resupply points (from offmap reserves)
6. any supplies carried as freight by the unit itself (last resort)
Your platoon may use several such resources at any one time in order to satisfy its need for supplies.

If your unit is a naval unit, i.e. a flotilla, then you must move it within 10 km of a supply resource. Your flotilla will search for the following resources (in order of priority):
1. fuel dumps (industrial installation fuel dumps)
2. ship freighters carrying supplies
Because of the very large amount of supplies required by shipping, especially capital shipping, ships will only take on supplies under specific circumstances. The conditions for ship supply are as follows:
a. The ship is classified as capital or non-capital according to its maximum supply capacity. If maximum supply capacity > 100000 litres, then the ship is a capital ship. If the ship is non-capital, then it resupplies as much as it can get at all times, like platoons.
b. Capital ships can only take on supplies if their supply holding is less than 20% of their maximum holding. Even then, if they take on supplies, they can only take on a limited amount of supplies per mission. The rate at which they can accept supplies is 5% of maximum supply capacity per mission.
Here is an example. The Tirpitz is docked in port near some industrial fuel dumps. It is holding 21% of its supply capacity of 8.4 million litres, which equals 1764000 litres. In the first mission, its idle use is 0.03*8400000 = 252000 litres. At the end of the mission its holding is 1764000 - 252000 = 1512000 lites (18% of capacity), so it has fallen below the resupply threshhold. The Tirpitz seeks resupply from the nearby fuel dump. At most, the Tirpitz can seek 0.05*8400000 = 420000 litres as resupply per mission. Assuming the fuel dump contains at least this much supply, the Tirpitz ends the mission at 1764000 - 252000 + 420000 = 1932000 litres (23% of capacity).
You can see that large amounts of supply are required to resupply capital ships, and it could take up to 20 hours to fully resupply a capital ship. Be careful how you use ships, and be extra careful about where you put them - if they are within 10 km of a fuel dump they can quickly drain it.

Option (2)
Moving supply resources is fairly straightforward. You can easily order army transports to drop supplies within the normal control radius, just like unloading other freight. Air supply drops are possible, but, in general, ships do not unload supplies anywhere - they normally unload to industrial fuel dumps. Remember, supply drops are persistent until exhausted, and your enemy can use them too if they are discovered.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Gauthier

Post by Gauthier »

How do you practically ressupply Airbases?
CN_Vertex

Post by CN_Vertex »

I have the same question.

I've moved a Supply Truck and now is at an AF. I've selected unload to the AF and an error message shows "No units selected for unloading" :shock: What? Thats the first I0ve done, select the truck unit to unload fuel :?

Thanks!
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

To resupply airbases, one quick way is to fly a transport flight loaded with fuel to the airbase. Once it is landed, you can unload the fuel to the airbase.

The critical issue is whether your supply unit (aircraft, truck, ship) actually contains fuel supplies. The unit tooltip will tell you what the unit is carrying as freight. To unload any fuel supplies, go to Logistics:Freight and select the unit. You will see a list of items it is transporting as freight. Select the fuel supply item, then click unload. You will be given a choice of where to unload the fuel supplies.

Remember, fuel in a truck's engine fuel tank is NOT supply freight. You have to explicitly load supplies as freight.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Gauthier

Post by Gauthier »

But I can't load the transport units because nothing appears in the freight scroll list... even at airbases.
:?
CN_Vertex

Post by CN_Vertex »

IV/JG7_4Shades wrote:To unload any fuel supplies, go to Logistics:Freight and select the unit. You will see a list of items it is transporting as freight. Select the fuel supply item, then click unload. You will be given a choice of where to unload the fuel supplies.
That's exactly what I've done. In Logistics:Freight I selected the truck unit that transports fuel and that is at the AF, I selected Unload, the MP asked me which quantity, I selected all of it, and then a message appeared telling:

"No units selected for unloading"

Maybe it's a bug? :|
Gauthier

Post by Gauthier »

In Logistics:Freight, I have nothing to select... :?
CN_Vertex

Post by CN_Vertex »

That's what I have after slecting how many liters to drop:

IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Correct, I can reproduce this bug, and have fixed it. A new patch will be available soon. In the meantime, air transports can bring in fuel for airbases.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Gauthier

Post by Gauthier »

Gauthier wrote:In Logistics:Freight, I have nothing to select... :?
Resolved after setting "1" or more in transport field.
CN_Vertex

Post by CN_Vertex »

IV/JG7_4Shades wrote:Correct, I can reproduce this bug, and have fixed it. A new patch will be available soon. In the meantime, air transports can bring in fuel for airbases.
Thx Shades :wink:
eric963

Reinforcements and Off Map Fuel Reserves

Post by eric963 »

If I have an airfield that is running low on fuel could a C-47 coming onto the map as a reinforcement bring fuel from the Off Map Fuel Reserves to the airfield it is being sent to?

If not how do you get more fuel to that airfield if there are no other places to get it from besides your reserves?

Thanks
Eric
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Eric,

Yes, tell your C-47 to load supplies from Off Map Reserves, then fly it to the airfield in question. Once it has landed, you may need to explicitly unload the C-47 to the local airfield. If the C-47 gets shot down or crashes en route, then you have burnt all those supplies and you will have to try again.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

eric963

Post by eric963 »

I left this question out of my last post.

How are airfields normally resupplied in SEOW? If there are no on map fuel installations will they automaticlly draw from off map? If there are on map fuel installations would the airfield need to be within a certain range of it to draw from it automaticcaly or would it have to be manually resupplied?

Thanks for the quick reply on that last question and I am having a blast with all the new options!!!

Eric
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Eric,

Airfields must be resupplied manually, either by road or by air. I can't remember whether shipping can resupply airbases directly, maybe not, but they can resupply fuel dumps.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer