Operation Toenails - A Campign Idea for SEOW

SEOW campaign designers contributing their scenario notes, orders of battle and other useful research.
Kopfdorfer

Operation Toenails - A Campign Idea for SEOW

Post by Kopfdorfer »

First of all , I do not want to appear as someone who abandons one idea for another without following through the first to completion. I have every intent to pursue "The Bitter End 1945" , in fact it is much closer to my own realm of interest being in the NWE Theatre. That being said , though my technical limitations have slowed my development on "The Bitter End 1945" , my creative juices are still working , and since I have been reading a number of books on the Pacific War during the last few months , I discovered what I think would be a fascinating campaign - the Struggle for the Central Solomon Islands through the spring and summer of 1943.

Operation Toenails - A Campaign proposal for SEOW

In the hours of darkness on the first days of February 1943 , the IJN skilfully withdrew the last Japanese ground forces that remained on Guadalcanal, finally conceding the island to the Americans after a brutal 6 month struggle. While the evacuation was achieved with operational brilliance with the Americans blissfully unaware , the men evacuated were weak from poor nutrition , tropical disease and exhaustion. In addition , a great deal of ordnance and supplies were abandoned.

Unfortunately for the Americans , their forces in the Solomons were exhausted and suffered from serious attrition from the Guadalcanal campaign as well. This limited their ability to follow up on the Japanese evacuation with a forceful offensive of their own.

In strategic terms , there was some acrimony amongst high US brass as to what exactly the plan to win the war in the Pacific was or should be. General MacArthur desired a campaign moving north out of Australia through New Guinea and a reconquest of the Philippines as the best stepping stone to Japan. Admiral Nimitz was inclined to prosecute an "Island Hopping" campaign across the Pacific from Hawaii more directly towards Japan , taking a series of islands/atolls that were already airbases , or suitable to be made into airbases , to allow ground based air support, especially long range bombers, to cover the next area to be assaulted. The solution proposed by Chief of Staff General George C. Marshall was a compromise. Marshall approved a two-pronged strategy , allowing both MacArthur and Nimitz to proceed with their strategies , but with neither declared as the major objective. Despite the fact that both camps were clamoring for material support of their objectives , the one common intermediate objective was the neutralization of the major Japanese air and naval installations at Rabaul. To get to Rabaul , the Americans needed to control the Japanese airbases in the Slot.

The overall operation to neutralize Rabaul was called Operation Cartwheel . Cartwheel was broken down into more bite sized objectives to suit the current inadequacy of offensive force available to the Americans in the Solomons. (Though by the end of Operation Toenails in mid August , the balance of force had definitely shifted in favour of the Allies).

Phase One was Operation Cleanslate , the capture of the Russell Islands. This was achieved with little difficulty in mid-February 1943 , but only just. Unaware of the Americans intent , all Japanese ground forces withdrawn from Guadalcanal had staged into the Russells , and in fact were withdrawn only days before the Americans invaded.

Phase Two was Operation Toenails , the capture of the New Georgia Group of Islands. In order for Toenails to be successful , the US brass felt it needed better control over the airspace over the central Solomons , and over the sea lanes through the Slot. This precipitated first a rush to develop the 2 Airfields on the Russell Islands , and second a series of closely fought naval and air engagements running the entire length of the Solomon Islands chain from Guadalcanal to Buka.

In April 1943 , P38s of the 347th Fighter Group intercepted and shot down transports carrying Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto over southern Bougainville , undoubtedly affecting the complexion of the campaign in the Pacific for the rest of the war.

While historically Operation Toenails was specific to the invasion and capture of New Georgia ( June 30 - circa August 23) , this campaign will (hopefully) reflect some of the Operational considerations of the broader struggle for the Central Solomons that occurred from the spring of 1943 through to the middle of August 1943.
(Munda was not captured until August 5 , 1943 , Bairoko Harbour until August 23 , 1943 , and New Georgia was not considered totally in Allied hands until October 1943 !)

The US , while strapped for adequate force at the Campaign start , will receive constant resupply and reinforcement. The Japanese will suffer from inadequate and undependable supply.

Both sides will receive strategic support for and from offboard bases. Japanese reinforcements and/or supplies may appear from Truk and/or Rabaul. Some supplies may arrive from Indonesia , primarily POL carried in tankers.
US may receive strategic air support in the form of long range ground based bombers of the 5th Army Air Force B17s and B24s out of New Guinea , the 306th Bombardment Group "Long Rangers" B-24s out of Funafuti Atoll , and elements of the 5th Bombardment Group (Heavy) B17s and B24s out of Espiritu Santo (those that are not based on map at Guadalcanal).
Japanese may receive strategic bomber support from Rabaul.
Both sides may receive strategic naval support from offboard submarine forces which may delay or sink supply vessels en route to the map area.

At this time , the technical edge in terms of both aircraft and naval technology which had favoured the Japanese for the first eighteen months of the war was shifting. The redoubtable F4F was beginning to be replaced with the F4U in the Marine Corps fighter squadrons , and the Army was finally fielding a small contingent of the much desired P38 Lightning to augment (for now) and later to replace the outmatched P39s and P40s. Soon the USN would field the powerful F6F Hellcats as well.
Things were not so rosy in Japanese Fighter development circles.

TBF Avengers were appearing in greater numbers , replacing some SBD Dauntless Units. PBY units out of Guadalcanal were being outfitted with radar and a broader range of weaponry , and their transition into the night skies over the Solomons as the "Black Cats" made them a force to be reckoned with for the IJN destroyers and transports that constantly moved in the Slot and preferred nocturnal activity.

Despite the fact that the Allies had no answer ( and wouldn't for the entire Pacific war) for the Japanese Type 93 "Long Lance" torpedo (with greater range , speed and a larger warhead than any like Allied weapons , and the low visibility wake produced by the compressed oxugen propellant) , and the excellent Japanese Destroyer doctrine trained in night surface engagements, the USN was learning fast , and combined their hard won experience with radar directed gunfire to heavily attrite the "Tokyo Express" , the almost nightly Destroyer and supply vessel sorties into the Slot.

Hopefully this SEOW Campaign will reflect the many Ground, Naval and Air battles that made up the campaign for the Central Solomons , in such places as Segi Point , Rice Anchorage , Rendova , Blackett Strait , Kula Gulf , Munda , Vila , Bairoko Harbour , Vella Gulf , Vella Lavella , and Rekata Bay , as well as Japanese attacks on Guadalcanal , Tulagi and the Russell Islands , not to mention the hazardous waters of the Slot itself.

The Americans will face difficult Victory Conditions , requiring a certain number of available Victory Points based on points assigned to control of Islands/Island groups on the Solomon Islands Map. Victory Points for the Americans can only be achieved by complete control of each Island/Island Group , while Japanese Victory Points, may be achieved by maintaining a minimum presence of 1/4 (25%) of the Allied ground units on that Island/Island Group.

While the Allies enjoyed a great superiority in the amount of supply , the truth is that they were backlogged in delivery into the Solomons due to inadequate docking and unloading facilites and workshops to construct crated and disassembled equipment as it arrived in theatre (mostly at the main bases of Noumea and Espiritu Santo). In simple terms they will get a lot of stuff , but how much of it can and will reach the battle area?

Hopefully the campaign will reflect the Japanese need to resupply by night under the noses of the Americans , and the Americans will enjoy the power of their new Corsairs and Lightnings in combat against the aging Zeros and less well trained Japanese Pilots.
Hopefully the Japanese Naval vessels will learn to fear the swarms of US MTBs as well as the ever present eyes of PBYs , F5 Lightnings , F10 Mitchells and B17s giving their positions away no matter what course they choose through the Slot.
Hopefully both sides will feel the frustration of enemy submarines vying to strangle enemy attempts to supply their ground forces.

I envision the campaign occurring over 32 campaign turns alternating 2 day turns and one night turn. In order to accomodate adequate naval movement I think the turns need to be somewhat long - I hope that there is someway to make the Campaign Turns run 8 hours per , but that can include more reasonable length Air Mission Turns ( like 90 minutes - 120 minutes).

I hope the concept of this campaign appeals to some of you out there. I would appreciate any comments , thoughts and ideas pertaining to the realization of this.

OOBs to follow...

Kopfdorfer
Last edited by Kopfdorfer on Fri 28 Feb 2014 5:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
II/JG3K.Brandle

Post by II/JG3K.Brandle »

S!

This is a great idea. The Slot is one of the best maps we have.
II/JG54_Emil

Post by II/JG54_Emil »

Sounds very interesting!

A great theatre for interesting campaigns.
WTE_Ikey

Post by WTE_Ikey »

I know those of us who participated in the J42-The Slot campaign sometime back (HSFX4.2 I think) really enjoyed it & would relish another one, especially as it will be like a continuance of those earlier battles for Guadalcanal.
If I remember correctly we had 3 hour mission length & Enforce Aircraft Landings unchecked to allow bombers to fly (airstart) from south of Guadalcanal & be able to hit far north targets & then we had to the fly about till mission end being unable to return to base in time.

Like Brandle said, Slot is one of the best maps.
II/JG77Hawk_5

Post by II/JG77Hawk_5 »

Ikey's post has prompted me to have a more careful read of the concept and I agree with Ikey in that the Slot is a great campaigning map. Our time there in the 42 campaign was the best and indeed that sector was the best sector to be a part of in the whole campaign.

The one thing that must be taken into account that I found was the distances involved to campaign effectively. I beleive that was one of the reasons we ran 3 hour missions. It takes a long time to fly up and down the Slot and to get home again. I can't recall if we had clock advances in that campaign but it took japanese transports most of the duration of the campaign just to get some ships to Munda. It wasn't until the Japanese received Atlantic transports gifted from another sector that had a decent speed could they get any more supply into a position where they could be of some help in the campaign. Even then, you would only get a single run for any ship coming into sector. No going back and forth off sector here. The distances are too great.

My whole point is that the mission duration and the scope of the campaign must be realistic and set up so that the basic logistics of getting stuff around can be achieved. This sector requires different methods and ideas of SEOW campaigning than are normally applied on your usual campaign. This may require forward supply points that are not on the edge of map. Forward spawning air starts and withdraw points for aircraft to enable long distance air missions that can span over 2 missions or more depending on mission duration. Thats just a couple of basic concepts that have been discussed before.

I also think that to give the Japanese the ability to make night runs down the Slot, it would require an around the clock campaign which has missions that covers every hour. While this is envisaged in scope in the brief, I get the impression that there an understanding that there is the ability for SEOW to process an 8 hour chunk of time and all events that would happen while only be running a single mission that is only an 1 1/2 hrs within this time. I'm sure that by now your aware that SEOW is only aware of events that occur during an actual mission that is run. To capture 8 hours of campaign time and all its events the server would need to run an 8 hour mission (probably a bit much for IL2 and the person running the server) or four 2 hour missions etc.

There is a lot of scope to look at how to apply the tools we have to make this sector more playable and better allow for the campaign to achieve the type of actions that occured here during the war.

If anything this is a subject that covers all large sector campaigns and could have its own thread.

Cheers,
Hawk_5
Kopfdorfer

Initial OOB for Operation Toenails , C. June 25 - Aug 5 1943

Post by Kopfdorfer »

Okay Guys , here is the first round of info on Operation Toenails , the component of Operation Cartwheel that got the ball rolling in Admiral Halsey's attempt to subdue Rabaul.
It's sister operation on Woodlark and Kiriwana Islands off the New Guinea Coast had already gotten underway .
Elements of the US Marine 4th Raider Btn landed at Segi Pt at the first US invasion on the New Georgia Island Group.
I have designated start areas for many units. Most are (or could have been) historical. Because of the length and violence of this campaign, many ships that started it did not survive the 6 week struggle.
Clearly the number of ships in the OOB (all of whom listed made at least an appearance in this time frame (subject to historical verification by anyone out there who cares to comment with references) is very large.
Despite Munda and Vila receiving nearly constant attention from Allied Air craft , IJN and IJA aircraft based in Rabaul staged out of Bougainville and often surprised the US flyers by the frequency and numbers in which they appeared. Post war assessment showed that the US planners had seriously underestimated both the initial count of Japanese aircraft - especially at Rabaul - and the Japanese ability to provide support from other sectors (Truk) and reinforcement aircraft from the home islands.

In assigning the number of aircraft to squadrons , I have strived to create a historical and interesting representation of numbers. This may ultimately need to be scaled back , depending on the projected length of the SEOW campaign.

My initial inclination is to define the Campaign by the US attempt to capture the New Georgia Islands , and the Victory Conditions need to reflect this. I would like to represent the campaign from approximately June 25th - August 5th (the Day the US actually captured Munda Airfield).

Clearly the Japanese made much of the cover of darkness to deliver their reinfircements and supplies to New Georgia , as they enjoyed asome significant tactical advantages in night action - until the US began to use their new naval gun-laying radar to good effect.

Anyway , I like this theatre and period of operations.

Here it is without further adoo...

OOB for Operation Toenails - a campaign for SEOW

US OOB

US Ground OOB for Operation Toenails

New Georgia Occupation Force(NGOF)

US Army 43rd Infantry Division (MajGen John Hester)
103rd Infantry Regt (LtCol Lester Brown) Reserve Guadalcanal
169th Infantry Regt
172nd Infantry Regt

US Army 37th Inf Divsion "Buckeyes" (MajGen Robert Beightler)
145th Infantry Regt
148th Infantry Regt
161st Infantry Regt Reserve Guadalcanal
136th Field Artillery Btn

Elts 1st Marine Raider Rgt (Col Harry Liversedge)
4th Marine Raider Btn (LtCol Michael S. Currin) for Toenails
1st Marine Raider Btn (LtCol Merritt A. Edson)
Light Tank Company (M3A1s) for Toenails
9th Marine Defense Btn for Toenails
10th Marine Defense Btn Guadalcanal
11th Marine Defense Btn Guadalcanal
12th Marine Defnese Btn Russell Islands
US Marine 4th Base Depot

20th Naval Construction Btn (Seabees)
24th Naval Construction Btn (Seabees)

US Army 118th Engineer Btn

South Pacific Scouts (unit size???)
1st Commando Fiji Guerillas

Coastwatchers
Donald G. Kennedy Segi Point
Kennedy Guerrilla Company Segi Point

152nd Field Artillery Btn (105mm)
70th Coastal Artillery (Anti-Aircraft)

Reserve
US Army 25th Infantry Division Guadalcanal

PATSU Tulagi (Patrol Aircraft Services Unit) Supply Units
PATSU Russells
PATSU Henderson
PATSU Guadalcanal

Spy
Captain Foster LaHue

US Naval OOB for Operation Toenails June 30 - August 16 , 1943

Task Group 31.3 (RAdm Richmond K.Turner)

TF 11 Task Force 11 (offboard RFG) Possible RFG

USS Maryland BB-46 Colorado Class
USS Colorado BB-45 Colorado Class
USS Selfridge DD-357 Porter Class
USS Ralph Talbot DD-390 Gridley Class

Task Force 37 (R.Adm Walden L. Ainsworth)

CruDiv9 Cruiser Division 9
USS St. Louis CL-49 St. Louis Class
USS Honolulu CL-48 Brooklyn Class
USS Helena CL-50 St. Louis Class

DesRon12 Destroyer Squadron 12
USS Farenholt DD-491 Benson Class FLAG
DesDiv15  Destroyer Division 15
USS Lang DD-399 Benham Class
USS Sterett DD-407 Benham Class
USS Stack DD_406 Benham Class
DesDiv23
USS Woodworth DD-460 Benson Class
USS Landsdowne DD-486 Gleaves Class
USS McCalla DD-488 Gleaves Class

Task Force 18(R.Adm Robert Giffen) RFG

DesRon21 Destroyer Squadron 21
USS Chevalier DD-451 Fletcher Class
USS Jenkins DD-447 Fletcher Class
USS La Vallette DD-448 Fletcher Class
USS Strong DD-467 Fletcher Class
USS Taylor DD-468 Fletcher Class

Task Force 19 (R.Adm Aaron S. Merrill) RFG

CruDiv12 Cruiser Division 12
USS Montpelier CL-57 Cleveland Class
USS Cleveland CL-55 Cleveland Class
USS Denver CL-58 Cleveland Class
DesDiv12
USS Dunlap DD-384 Mahan Class
USS Craven DD-382 Gridley Class
USS Maury DD-401 Benham Class

USS Merrimack AO-37 Kennebec Class Fleet Oiler

HMNZS Leander Leander Class (Reserve Cruiser - Noumea)

DesRon22 RFG
USS Waller DD-466 Fletcher Class FLAG
DesDiv43
USS Saufley DD-465 Fletcher Class
USS Philip DD-498 Fletcher Class
DesDiv44
USS Conway DD-507 Fletcher Class
USS Cony DD-508 Fletcher Class

Cactus Strike Force  (Lunga Roads)
USS Fletcher DD-445 Fletcher Class
USS Radford DD-446 Fletcher Class
USS O'Bannon DD-450 Fletcher Class
USS Buchanan DD-484 Gleaves Class

DesDivReserve RFG
USS Gwin DD-433 Gleaves Class
USS Nicholas DD-449 Fletcher Class

MSRon15 (Lunga Roads)
RNZS Matai T-01 Converted Lighthouse Tender
RNZS Tui T-102 Bird Class Minesweeper
RNZS Kiwi T-233 Bird Class Minesweeper
RNZS Moa T-234 Bird Class Minesweeper

Minesweepers
USS Breese DM-18 Wickes Class Lunga Roads
USS Conflict AM-85 Adroit Class Espiritu Santo
USS Gamble DM-15 Wickes Class Lunga Roads
USS Hopkins DMS-13 Clemson Class Lunga Roads
USS Montgomery DM-17 Wickes Class Espiritu Santo
USS Ortolan AM-45 Lapwing Class Noumea
USS Preble DM-20 Clemson Class Lunga Roads
USS Trever DMS-16 Clemson Class Russell Islands
USS Vireo AM-52 Lapwing Class Noumea

PTRon3
Russell Island Flotilla
PTBoats # 8,9,10,20,21,22,31,32,33,109
PTRon2
PTBoats # 11,12,23,24,25,34,36,37,110,111
PTRon4
PTBoats # 13,14,15,17,26,27,28,30,112,113
Reserve Flotilla - Noumea
PTBoats # 19,38,39,40,144,147

SubRon8 (Cpt Willard M. Downes) Noumea
USS Gato Gato Class
USS Guardfish Gato Class
USS Pickerel Gato Class
USS S-30 S-Class
USS Sculpin Gato Class
USS Silversides Gato Class
USS Spearfish Gato Class
USS Triton Gato Class

Attack Transport Unit *actually called Rendova Attack Unit Lunga Roads
USS Talbot APD-7 Wickes Class
USS Dent APD-9 Wickes Class
USS Waters APD-8 Wickes Class
USS Zane DMS-14 Clemson Class

NavTransUnit
USS Libra AKA-12 Arcturus Class Attack Cargo Espiritu Santo
USS Algorab AKA-8 Arcturus Class Attack Cargo Espiritu Santo
TransDiv12
USS Stringham APD-6 Wickes Class Espiritu Santo
USS McKean APD-5 Wickes Class Espiritu Santo

TransDiv22
USS Kilty APD-15 Wickes Class Noumea
USS Schley APD-14 Wickes Class Noumea
USS Crosby APD-17 Wickes Class Noumea

Reserve Transport Division
USS McCawley* APA-4 McCawley Class Attack Transport Lunga Roads
*Flag
USS President Adams APA-19 President Jackson Class Lunga Roads
USS President Hayes APA-20 President Jackson Class Lunga Roads
USS President Jackson APA-18 President Jackson Class Lunga Roads

Cargo Ships
USS Adhara AK-71 Crater Class Cargo Ship Espiritu Santo
USS Aludra AK-72 Crater Class Cargo Ship Espiritu Santo
USS Celeno AK-76 Liberty Ship Noumea
USS Deimos AK-78 Crater Class Cargo Ship Noumea

Oilers/Tankers
USS Kanawha AO-1 Kanawha Class Fleet Oiler Tulagi
USS Chicopee AO-34 Chicopee Class Fleet Oiler Espiritu Santo
USS Mattaponi AO-41 Mattaponi Class Fleet Oiler Espiritu Santo
USS Tappahannock AO-43 Mattaponi Class Fleet Oiler Noumea
USS Merrimack AO-37 Kennebec Class Fleet Oiler Task Force 19

Others
USS Menominee AT-73 Cherokee Class Ocean Tug Tulagi
USS Rail AT-139 Lapwing Class Tulagi

USS Niagara AGP-1 MTB Tender Commander's Choice

USS Thornton AVD-11 Seaplane Tender Russell Islands

LSTS
LST-339
LST-340
LST-342
LST-343
LST-396
LST-449
LCI 
LCI-68
LCI-70

LCM
LCM-22

Landing Craft
LC x 40 Lunga Roads

CarDiv22
CarDiv22 was assigned to escort supply convoys between Noumea , Espiritu Santo , and Lung Roads (Guadalcanal). Consequently , (parts of) its air complement operated out of Guadalcanal off and on throughout "Toenails".
USS Sangamon CVE-26 NavAirGroup26 VF-26 , VT-26
USS Suwannee CVE-27 NavAirGroup27 VF-27 , VT-27
USS Chenango CVE-28 NavAirGroup28 VF-28 , VT-28
US Air OOB for Operation Toenails

USN

ComAirSols (R.Adm Marc Mitscher)

USN
VF-5 Guadalcanal 8 x F4F-4
VF-11 Guadalcanal 8 x F4F-4
VO-7 Tulagi 6 x OS2U Kingfisher
VS-3 Guadalcanal 8 x SBD
VS-78 Guadalcanal 8 x SBD
VT-8 Guadalcanal 8 x TBF-1
VT-11 Guadalcanal 8 x TBF-1
VP-11 "Proud Pegasus" Tulagi 4 x PBY
VP-12 "Black Cats" Tulagi 4 x PBY
VP-23 "SeaHawks" Russell Islands 4 x PBY
VP-72 "Black Cats" Tulagi 4 x PBY

USMC
VMF-112 "Wolfpack" Russell Islands 10 x F4U-1
VMF-121 "Green Knights"
VMF-122 "Werewolves" Russell Islands 10 x F4U-1
VMF-123 "Flying Eight Balls" Russell Islands 10 x F4U-1
VMF-124 "Whistling Death" RFG Espiritu Santo 16 x F4U-1A
VMF-212 "Hell Hounds" RFG August
VMF-213 "Hell Hawks" Russell Islands 10 x F4U-1A
VMF-214 "Black Sheep" RFG Espiritu Santo 16 x F4U-1A
VMF-221 "Fighting Falcons"
VMJ-152 RFG Noumea 9 x C-47
VMJ-153 Guadalcanal 9 x C47
VMJ-253 RFG Espiritu Santo 9 x C-47
VMO-251 Tulagi 6 x J2F Duck
VMSB-132 "Crying Red Asses" Guadalcanal 10 x SBD-3
VMSB-142 Guadalcanal 10 x SBD-3
VMSB-144 Guadalcanal 10 x SBD-3
VMSB-234 "Rangers" Russell Islands 10 x SBD-3
VMTB-131 Russell Islands 10 x TBF-1
VMTB-232 "Red Devils" Avail July Espiritu Santo 12 x TBF-1
VMTB-233 "Bulldogs" Avail July Espiritu Santo 12 x TBF-1

USAAF

18th Fighter Group
6th NF Squadron 6 x P-70 Havoc
12th Fighter Squadron "Dirty Dozen" 10 x P-400
44th Fighter Squadron "Vampires" 10 x P-40M
70th Fighter Squadron "White Knights" 12 x P-38G

347th Fighter Group
67th Fighter Squadron "Fighting Cocks" 10 x P-39D2
68th Fighter Squadron 10 x P-40M
339th Fighter Squadron 12 x P-38G
42nd Bombardment Group (Medium)
2 Sqdns at Espiritu Santo , 4 Sqdns at Guadalcanal
69th BS (Medium) 8 x B-25C
70th BS (Medium) 8 x B-25C
75th BS (Medium) 8 x B-25C
76th BS (Medium) 8 x B-25D
77th BS (Medium) 8 x B-25D
406th BS (Medium) 8 x B-26B

5th Bombardment Group (Heavy) B-17 , B-24
2 Sqdns at Henderson , 2 Sqdns at Espiritu Santo
23rd Bomber Squadron (Heavy) 7 x B-17E
31st Bomb Squadron (Heavy) 7 x B-17E
72nd Bomb Squadron (Heavy) 7 x B-24D
394th Bomb Squadron (Heavy) 7 x B-24D

RNZAF
No.3 , No.14 at Guadalcanal ; No.15 , No.25 at Espiritu Santo
No.3 Bomber/Reconnaissance Squadron 6 x Hudson
No.14 Fighter Squadron 12 x Kittyhawk
No.15 Fighter Squadron 12 x Kittyhawk
No.25 Scout Bomber Squadron 12 x SBD3

Ancillary Groups at Espiritu Santo

4th Recon Group
17th Recon Sqdn F-5 Lightning x 6 Espiritu Santo
18th Recon Sqdn F-10 Mitchell x 6 Espiritu Santo
19th Recon Sqdn F-10 Mitchell x 6 Funafuti
20th Recon Sqdn F-9 Fortress x 6 Espiritu Santo

403rd Troop Carrier Group
13th Troop Carrier Squadron C-47 x 6 Espiritu Santo
63rd Troop Carrier Squadron C-47 x 6 Espiritu Santo
64th Troop Carrier Squadron C-47 x 6 Espiritu Santo

Carrier Division 22
Naval Air Group 26 USS Sangamon CVE-26
VF-26 18 x F4F-4
VT-26 12 x SBD-5
Naval Air Group 27 USS Suwannee CVE-27
VF-27 18 x F4F-4
VT-27 12 x TBF-1
Naval Air Group 28 USS Chenango CVE-28
VF-28 18 x F4F-4
VT-28 12 x TBF-1

Strategic Air Assets - Offboard Units

US VAAF (Kenney) Offboard RFG at New Guinea

43rd Bombardment Group (Heavy) "Ken's Men" 28 x B-17E
63rd BS "Sea Hawks"
64th BS
65th BS "Lucky Dicers"
403rd BS "Mareeba Butchers"

90th hombardment Group (Heavy) "Jolly Rogers" 28 x B-24D
319th BS "Asterperious"
320th BS "Moby Dick"
321st BS "Bombs Away"
400th BS "Black Pirates"

380th Bombardment Group (Heavy) "Flying Circus" 28 x B-24D
528th BS
529th BS
530th BS
531st BS

35th Fighter Group 32 x P-38F
39th Fighter Sqdn "Cobra Squadron"
40th Fighter Sqdn "Fightin' Red Devils"

307th Bombardment Group (Heavy)* "The Long Rangers"  28 x B24D
370th BS B24D x 7 Funafuti , Ellice Islands
371st BS B24D x 7 Funafuti
372nd BS B24D x 7 Funafuti
424th BS B24D x 7 Funafuti

* Funafuti , Ellice Islands

Japanese OOB for Operation Toenails (for SEOW)

Japanese Ground Units

Seventeenth Army ( MajGen Noboru Sasaki)

6th Infantry Division
13th Kumamoto Inf Regt (Col. Tomonari)

38th Infantry Division (MajGen Noboru Sasaki)
229th Gifu Inf Regt (- 3/229th in New Guinea) (Col. Hirata)
230th Shizuoka Inf Regt

8th Combined Special Naval Landing Force (R.Adm Ota)
8th CSLF Landing Craft Co.

Kure 6th SNLF (Cmdr Okamura) New Georgia , Rendova
HQ Pltn
2 x Rifle Co.
Heavy Wpns Co. - Howitzer , AT , MG units
Anti-Aircraft Co.
Seacoast Defence Unit (Coastal Guns)
Medical , Signal , Supply , Engineer Troops
Dragon's Defense Unit (Cmdr Saburo Okamura)
Kure 6th SNLF Anti-Aircraft Machine Gun Co.

Yokosuka 7th SNLF ( Cmdr Takeda) Kolombangara
HQ Pltn
2 x Rifle Co.
Heavy Wpns Co. - Howitzer , AT , MG units
Anti-Aircraft Co.
Seacoast Defence Unit (Coastal Guns)
Medical , Signal , Supply , Engineer Troops
Dragons Defense Unit (Cmdr Saburo Okamura)
Yokosuka 7th SNLF 8cm Flat Trajectory Gun Squad

7th Combined SNLF Choiseul , Santa Isabel
Kure 7th SNLF
16th AA Defense Unit
17th AA Defense Unit

17th Pioneer Co.
19th Pioneer Co.
131st Pioneer Co.

3rd Machine Gun Co.
22nd Machine Cannon Co.
23rd Machine Cannon Co.

2nd Btn/10th Independent Mtn Infantry Regt
(at least) 2 x Bties 75mm Mtn Howitzer

Independent Anti-Aircraft Units
58th Field AntiAircraft Btn
21st Anti-Aircraft Co.

Munda Anti-Aircraft Defenses (Col. Shoichi Shiroto)
15th Air Defence Unit
41st Field Anti-Aircraft Btn
31st Independent Field Anti-Aircraft Co.
27th Field Machine Gun Co.
3rd Field Searchlight Btn

Shipping Co. (Army) New Georgia Sector
??? x Landing Craft

60th Independent Radio Pltn

Seacoast Artillery Batteries New Georgia
140mm Bty
120mm Bty
80mm Bty

????????????????????
1st AA Defense Unit
18th AA Defense Unit
20th AA Defense Unit
24th AA Defense Unit
28th AA Defense Unit

Viru Defense Force (Major Masao Hara)

1 x 3" Coastal Gun
4 x 80mm Guns
8 x Dual Purpose Guns (calibre?)
Landing Craft Flotilla

Japanese Naval Forces

IJN 8th FLeet (Vice Admiral Mikawa)

CruDiv7
IJN Chokai Takao Class CA FLAG RFG ~July 10 at Rabaul
IJN Kumano Mogami Class CA
IJN Suzuya Mogami Class CA

IJN Junyo Hiyo Class CVL Possible RFG prior , then RFG ~July 2

IJN Jintsu Sendai Class CL RFG ~July 10 at Rabaul

IJN Yubari Yubari Class CL Shortlands

DesDiv2
Murasame Shiratsuyu Class
Minegumo Asashio Class

DesDiv7
Tanikaze Kagero Class
Hamakaze Kagero Class

DesDiv10
Mochizuki Mutsuki Class
Minazuki Mutsuki Class

DesRon10
Hagikaze Kagero Class
Arashi Kagero Class

DesDiv11
Niizuki Akizuki Class
Amagiri Fubuki Class
Hatsuyuki Fubuki Class

DesDiv17
Shigure Shiratsuyu Class

DesDiv21
Isokaze Kagero Class
Fumizuki Mutsuki Class

DesDiv22
Nagatsuki Mutsuki Class
Satsuki Mutsuki Class
Yunagi Kamikaze Class

DesDiv24
Suzukaze Shiratsuyu Class
Kawakaze Shiratsuyu Class

Possible RFGs
Yukikaze Kagero Class
Kiyonami Yugumo Class
Matsukaze Kamikaze Class
Mikazuki Mutsuki Class

Seaplane Tenders
IJN Niishin Seaplane Tender Shortlands
IJN Akitsushima Seaplane Tender Rabaul Possible RFG
IJN Kunikawa Maru Seaplane Tender Rabaul Possible RFG 13/6 , 30/8

SubmarineTender
Nagoya Maru Nagoya Maru Class Possible RFG

Minesweepers
W-15 W-13 Class Shortlands
W-22 W-19 Class Shortlands

Minelayers
Hoko Hirashima Class Kahili

SubChasers
CH4,CH5,CH12, CH4 Class Subchaser 291t Shortlands
CH10 CH4 Class Subchaser 291t RFG August
CH16 CH13 Class Subchaser 438t Rabaul
CH17 CH13 Class Subchaser 438t Rabaul
CH18 CH13 Class Subchaser 438t Rabaul
CH22,CH23,CH24, CH13 Class Subchaser 438t Buka/Bonis
CH29 CH28 Class Subchaser Shortlands - possible withdrawal July
CH30 CH28 Class Subchaser

Submarines
I-11 Type A-1 Seaplane Carrier Shortlands
I-17 Type B-1 Carry 1 x E14Y Seaplane "Glen" Rabaul
I-19 Type B-1 Carry 1 x E14Y Seaplane "Glen"
I-20 Type C-1 Carry 1 Midget Submarine Shortlands
I-25 Type B-1 Carry 1 x E14Y Seaplane "Glen" Rekata
I-28 Type B-1 Carry 1 x E14Y Seaplane "Glen"
I-168 Type KD-6 High Speed Rabaul
I-178 Type KD-6 High Speed Rekata
RO-34 RO-33 (K-6) Class
RO-106 RO-100 Class Sen-Sho Gata (Submarine-Small Type) Rabaul
RO-107 RO-100 Class Sen-Sho Gata (Submarine-Small Type) Rabaul

Daihatsu Landing Craft
LC x 30 Rabaul
LC x 30 Buka/Bonis
LC x 20 Shortlands
LC x 20 Kieta

Tankers/Oilers
Eiyo Maru
Nissho Maru
Nisshiin Maru
Palembang Maru
Shinei Maru

Transport Vessels
Kaihei Maru
Kinsen Maru
Kosei Maru
Sydney Maru
Tokai Maru

CargoVessels
Amayo Maru
Jimbu Maru
Kasuga Maru
Keishin Maru
Kotoka Maru
Madras Maru
Ryoho Maru
Sapporo Maru No.12
Shinnan Maru
Shojin Maru
Shuto Maru
Uyo Maru
Yuzan Maru

Japanese Air Forces

***Note that for "Operation Toenails" all Japanese Aircraft of the following types will operate in flights of 3 aircraft :
Fighters , Float Fighters(A6M2-N) , Dive Bombers , Torpedo Bombers , Bombers , Transport
The following types will operate in flights of 2 Aircraft or singly :
Night Fighters , Flying Boats , Floatplanes , Recon Aircraft***

11th Air Fleet (Vice Admiral Jin'ichi Kusaka) Rabaul

21st Air Flotilla
151st Kokutai (w4) J1N1 "Gekko" x 6 , J1N1C x 6 Rabaul
253rd Kokutai (Z1) A6M2 "Zeke" x 12 Rabaul
Kanoya Kokutai (Z2) B5N2 "Kate" x 12, D3A2 "Val" x 12 Rabaul

22nd Air Flotilla
755th Kokutai (Y1) D3A2 x 12 at Vila , D4Y2 x 12 at Kahili
252nd Kokutai (Y2) A6M3 "Hamp" x 12 Rabaul

24th Air Flotilla
201st Kokutai (W1) withdrawn 15Aug A6M2 x 12 Kahili
552nd Kokutai (Y3) withdrawn 1July D3A2 x 12 Kahili
703rd Kokutai (U3) G4M "Betty" x 12 Kahili
752nd Kokutai (W2) G4M x 12 Rabaul

25th Air Flotilla
251st Kokutai (U1) A6M3 Kai x 12 , J1N1 x 6 Rabaul
702nd Kokutai (U2) G4M x 12 Rabaul

26th Air Flotilla
705th (Misawa) Kokutai (T1) G4M x 12 Rabaul
204th Kokutai (T2) A6M2 "Zeke" x 12 Rabaul
582nd Kokutai (T3) D3A2 x 12 Munda
Toko Kokutai (51) A6M3 "Zeke" x 12 Bonis
204th Kokutai A6M2 x 12 Buin
582nd Kokutai A6M2 x 12 Rabaul
758th Kokutai B5N2 x 12 Bonis
802nd Kokutai E13A "Jake" x 6 , E8N "Dave" x 4 , A6M2-N "Rufe" x 12 ,
H8K2 "Emily" x 4 Shortlands
902nd Kokutai F1M "Pete" x 6 , H8K2 x 4 Rekata Bay
938th Kokutai (38) F1M x 6, E8N "Dave" x 4 , A6M2-N x 12 Rabaul
958th Kokutai (P3) F1M x 6, E13A "Jake" x 6 , 4 x H5Y "Cherry" Bonis
IJN Transport Kokutai L2D x 12 "Tabby" Rabaul

IJAAF Units Toenails
1st Hiko Sentai Ki-43I "Oscar"x 12 > Ki-43II Ballale
4th Hiko Sentai Ki-45 "Nick" x 9 Rabaul
11th Hiko Sentai Ki-43I x 12 Munda
13th Hiko Sentai Ki-43I x 24 > Ki-43II Rabaul
24th Sentai , 59th Sentai
68th Hiko Sentai Ki-61 "Tony" x 12 Buka
78th Hiko Sentai Ki-61 x 12 Rabaul
???? Hiko Sentai Ki-48 "Lily" x 12 Buka
5th Sentai Ki-45 x 6 , Ki-46 "Dinah" x 6 Kahili
IJAAF Transport Sentai 12 x Ki-57 "Topsy" Rabaul

Obviously this is the initial outlay for these OOBs and many changes are to come. As I previously stated , historical corrections are welcome. I have already researched more complete and precise OOBs for such Units as the Kure 6th SNLF and the Yokosuka 7th SNLF , and the breakdown of such units as the USMC Defence Units . If anyone has an accurate OOB for a Seabee Btn I have yet to find one.

Sincerely ,

Kopfdorfer
Last edited by Kopfdorfer on Fri 28 Feb 2014 6:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kopfdorfer

Some Special Unit Compositions for "Toenails"

Post by Kopfdorfer »

A. IJN SNLF
(I stole this definition from somewhere on the net and edited it - it is not my original prose)
By the end of April (1943) Japanese land defenses in the Solomons had been strengthened with both Army and Navy Troops , and additional reinforcements were standing by in the Buin-Shortland area for further transportation.
The 8th Combined SNLF , which included the Kure 6th SNLF and the Yokosuka 7th SNLF was the Navy's contribution to Vila-Munda.
The 7th Combined SNLF was assigned to Choiseul , and Santa Isabel. It included the Kure 7th SNLF and the 16th and 17th Air Defense Units (Bokutai - see following description).
After Japan lost the initiative in the Pacific , these amphibious Assault Troops were transitioned to a defensive role. Named for the base at which the unit was formed , an SNLF generally included :

1 x HQ Company
2 x Rifle Companies
1 x Heavy Weapons Coy , which included howitzer , anti-tank and
machine gun units
1 x Anti-Aircraft Company
1 x Heavy Gun or Seacoast Defense Unit
plus Medical , Signal , Supply and Engineer troops

Note that the Combined SNLF included an overall Commmand HQ and a Command Unit which included the following components (in addition to the HQ Pltn) :
Medical Sect , Intendance Sect , Signals Sect, HQ Company , Transport Sectiion 16 x LLB) , Engineer Sect , OBSN Sect (2 x SR Radar)

The Yokosuka 7th SNLF landed at Kolombangara on 23 Feb , with 1,807 men , and was followed on the 9 March by the Kure 6th with 2,038 men.
This unit went into positions between Bairoko and Enogai and around the airfield at Munda. The overall manpower total is listed as 4,386 men for the start of the Operation Toenails period.
Rear Admiral Minoru Ota commanding the 8th Combined SNLF , assumed command for the Defense of New Georgia.

B. US Marine Defense Battalion 1943

HQ

HQ And Service Bty

Tank Company 3 Pltns of 4 x M3 Light Tank

Coastal Artillery Group Bty A 4 x 155mm Howitzer
Bty B 4 x 155mm Howitzer

Heavy AA Group HQ Bty 1 x SCR-516 LR Radar (112 km)
(76 or 90mm AA) 2 x SCR-268 SR Radar (40km)
6 x Searchlight
Bty C 4 x AA , 1 x SCR-168 Radar
Bty D 4 x AA , 1 x SCR-168 Radar
Bty E 4 x AA , 1 x SCR-168 Radar
Bty F 4 x AA , 1 x SCR-168 Radar

Special Weapons Group Bty G 16 x AA (AW) 37mm or 40mm Bofors
Bty H 28 x 20mm Oerlikon
Bty I 35 x .50 Cal HMG
Bty J AT Bty 2 Pltns , each 4 x 37mm ATG

Note***I was unable to ascertain what form of transport accompanied the MDBtns

C. Japanese Air Defense Btns (Bokutai)

There were 3 different Bokutai in service with the Japanese. I do not know either the proportion of the different Types , or whether the Bokutai fell under IJN or IJA Command.

Bokutai Type "A"
Contained 1 x Fire Control Section and 4 Pltns of Weapons.
Manpower Strength was 287 Men
No1 Pltn 2 x 7/8cm Guns
2 x SL
No2 Pltn 2 x 7/8cm Guns
No3 Pltn 2 x 7/8cm Guns
No4 Pltn 10 x 7.7mm MG

Bokutai Type "B"
Contained 1 x Fire Control Section
1 x Observation Section 2 x Searchlights
No1 Pltn 10 x 7.7m MG
No2 Pltn 16 x 13cm (.50 cal) HMG
No3 Pltn 16 x 13cm (.50cal) HMG
Manpower Strength was 225 Men

Bokutai Type "C"
Contained 1 x Fire Control Section
No1 Pltn 4 x 25mm
2 x SL
No2 Pltn 4 x 25mm
No3 Pltn 4 x 25mm
No4 Pltn 10 x 7.7mm MG
Manpower Strength was 316 Men

D. Japanese Construction Btn (Pioneers - IJN Equivalent of Seabees)

HQ

Command Pltn 1 x officer
1 x WO
7 x Enlisted Men
2 x Civilians

Armament Unit 3 x Officers Ordnance Sect
3 x Enlisted Men 1 x Officer
87 x Workmen 45 x Workmen

Electric Sect
1 x Officer
42 x Workmen

1st Labour Company
45 Workmen

2nd Labour Company
42 Workmen

Installation Unit 20 x Enlisted Civil Eng Sect
257 x Workmen 13 x Enlisted
1045 Coolies 111 x Workmen
934 x Coolies

Construction Sect
7 x Enlisted
144 x Workmen
111 x Coolies

Transport Unit 62 x Men Boat Sect
6 x Barges 28 x Men
17 x Trucks 6 x Barges
2 x Care ???
2 x Motorcycles Truck Section
1 x Filter 1 x CPO Sect Ldr
33 x Men
17 x Trucks
1 x Filter
1 x Care
2 x Motorcycle

Medical Unit 1 x Officer
20 x Medical Corpsmen

Intendance Unit 1 x Officer
50 x Workmen

That's it for now. Further Info Appreciated.

Kopfdorfer
Kopfdorfer

Re: Operation Toenails - A Campign Idea for SEOW

Post by Kopfdorfer »

Operation Toenails is still alive and gestating.

I was dissatisfied from the start by the fact that the Solomons July 43 Map was too historically advanced for Toenails (more to the end of July than the beginning which was when Toenails began) , and I had always intended to learn to modify maps so that I could reduce the size of the airfields of Sunlight and Renard on the Russell Islands , Segi Pt to a strip under development (emergency only) , reduce Vila airfield on Kolombangara , and reduce Kieta airfield on the east coast of Bougainville to the minor emergency strip which it was until abandoned.

Fortune arrived faster than my skills developed , and following an offhand discussion of SEOW Campaign ideas here at SEOWHQ one night , Count Zero offered to adapt the Solomons July 43 map more to my historical vision for the period of early July 43.
Well Count Zero doesn't mess around , and although we are in the process of finishing up my 3rd Campaign Design (Parkers Crossroads - one Mission remaining Sat July 11 2015) , and I have a couple more learning campaigns to process before I even think about Toenails , Count Zero has emailed me prototype Toenails Dated Solomons maps to consider.

That is where we stand on Toenails as of 6 July 2015.

Kopfdorfer