Script-Generated IF Maps

Discussions on transforming SEOW into a meta-gaming platform, including concepts, technical development and meta-campaigning.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

IV/JG7_4Shades

Script-Generated IF Maps

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

I have been busy developing a semi-automated method to generate small maps for use in Iron Front from IL-2/HSFX map terrain features. Below are three images taken from a 5 km x 5 km Iron Front map generated in about 5 minutes from a small rural portion of the Kiev_AP map in HSFX. The combat units, sandbags, campfire are not generated as part of the map - they are there for decoration. Everything else (terrain, trees, buildings, grass etc) is part of the map generation.

Spot the Tiger:

MG emplacement near houses:

Approaching the village:

As yet there is no real support for roads, bridges and water, but just about everything else is there for basic SEOW ground operations.

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

IV/JG7_4Shades

Re: Script-Generated IF Maps

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

The village above now has grain fields and a road.

As a simple benchmark, the map generation script currently extracts a 5 km x 5 km data set from IL-2 map structures, and produces all required data files for ARMA2 map building with Visitor3. This includes configs, names, clutter, surfaces, terrain, buildings, forests and roads. The script execution time is currently 18 seconds for this size map (assuming the IL-2 map is pre-expanded). Running through the Visitor3 import and building process takes about 5 minutes with another minute to binarize the map to produce a portable PBO file. Yes, that's correct, less than 10 minutes to identify an area on an IL-2 map and generate a corresponding and convincing Arma2 map ready for detailed ground operations. For now the script is tuned to rural locations, but in principle there is no obstacle to urban settings.

To polish the map generation script further I need to generate more convincing gardens with fences for houses, and build logic for road intersections. Once these things are done I will call the map generation script v1.0 and then move onto mission generation and mission analysis tools for meta-SEOW.

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

OK, here we are with some map generation scripting improvements, including tweaked vegetation densities and improved road support, including junctions. The road code needs extra work, but it is not far from being complete. I have also generated some 10 km x 10 km maps using the code, and it works fine. Of course, run times are longer (under 200 seconds) and map build times expand out to about 15 minutes, but that is still pretty good considering the end result is an ARMA2 map that includes ~800k plants/buildings etc and is capable of supporting many different missions.

Here are some recent screenshots.

First, an ad hoc camp at a fork in the road (5 km map extracted from IL-2 Kiev map, near Topory):

Next, a track through featureless forest, great partisan ambush spot (5 km map extracted from IL-2 Kiev map, near Dabryn):

Next, a fork in the road, Dabryn is over the hill to the right (5 km map extracted from IL-2 Kiev map, near Dabryn):

Next, a deserted and overgrown village (5 km map extracted from IL-2 Kiev map, near Dabryn):

Last, an SU-85 moves into position in the morning rain (10 km map extracted from IL-2 Kiev map, near Gorodishche):

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Riksen

Post by Riksen »

Amazing Shades!

But i wonder how is this going to be integrated with the air battles? Is the air battle going to be fought first and the land one?

I'm sure u got all of figured out so all i can say is CANT WAIT!!!

:lol:
102nd-HR-cmirko

Post by 102nd-HR-cmirko »

I will definitively have to get Iron Front :) - looking forward to seeing Il2 maps in a modern game engine :)
StG77_CountZero

Post by StG77_CountZero »

This looks very nice and interesting, we are thinking to try it in Battle of Kursk campaign in mis. 20 or 21. To have battle for some village or town, and to see how all would work with Arma II IF.
baek

Post by baek »

I already have iron front and this looks great, good job.
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Well I guess I'd better get hold of the Battle of Kursk map mod, and expand it ready for use! :D

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer