Vectoring in SEOW

For bug reports and fixes, installation issues, and new ideas for technical features.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

CC_Tofolo

Vectoring in SEOW

Post by CC_Tofolo »

Greetings to all,

I'd like to ask about vectoring (i.e. Vectors to Home Base or Target) in SEOW missions.

At this moment, if you want to disable (or enable) it, you have to do it editing manually every mission, changing from 0 to 1 the MDS_Radar_DisableVectoring line in the .mis file.

Would it be very difficult to add a way to enable/disable this feature via SEDCS?
Or perhaps this is automatically done when enabled or disabled in the template?

Thanks in advance,

Tofolo
Zoi

Post by Zoi »

I thought that this was off by default with the expert mode but not true.
II/JG77Hawk_5

Post by II/JG77Hawk_5 »

Well I didn't even realize that an option existed till now.
I guess it should only work if you have functioning radar but then there the whole radar range issue that come in looking at it that way.

On or off keeps it simple. Off for sure if theres no radar.
CC_Tofolo

Post by CC_Tofolo »

Hi Hawk, I think it doesn't go with the radar functions, it's all about a radio option.
Zoi

Post by Zoi »

If you have radar on you can see where you are at and fly to your base so if vectoring is on it would only count if you are really lost :P
CC_Tofolo

Post by CC_Tofolo »

Of course, Zoi, but the request here is in order to have the possibility to, for instance, deactivate the vector to base in order to add realism & inmersion to the game.
By doing that you assume that there's no "GPS" in the map (whether if the Radar function is on, but I insist that this is a completely different point) and if you get lost it's up to your navigation skills (plus radio beacons if they're placed in the map).

This can be done manually editing every mission in the SEOW campaign, but my request/question is if there's any chance to do it Automatically, either if it's via Template or via DCS.
II/JG77Hawk_5

Post by II/JG77Hawk_5 »

I'm a litte puzzled then. How could it be anything else but a radar related issue.
When you ask home base base for a vector to home base or a target this is all based on the assumption that ground control have you as a contact on their radar screen and are giving you a vector from that. I guessing thats why its called MDS_Radar_Disable. I am assuming we are talking about the same vector request thing. I only fly in the SEOW co-ops and have no idea about the MDS lines.

Any radio detection is all based in your aircraft and you can home in on beacons and such but home base wouldn't have a clue where you are no matter what gadgets you had installed.
And yes, if your on radar and your in range then just vector yourself home.
In game now you can get a vector to home and targets even when you waaaaaayy out to sea and well off anyones scope.

When you out there you shouldn't get a response at all.

In any case yes I agree if the same vecor issue it would be good to be able to dissable this simply.
Zoi

Post by Zoi »

We understood you Hawk just messing with you :wink:
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Tofolo,
At this moment, if you want to disable (or enable) it, you have to do it editing manually every mission, changing from 0 to 1 the MDS_Radar_DisableVectoring line in the .mis file.
Not so. While SEOW works happily with .mis files that include MDS directives, SEOW will not include MDS directives in any coop mission it creates. So there will be no need to edit SEOW .mis files to alter MDS directives.

And, I actually have no idea if the MDS directives are even active in coop missions. I have never considered MDS functionality in connection with SEOW.

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Zoi

Post by Zoi »

I use the fog of war functionality that MDS adds successfully in every mission.

Could it be that this is the reason that vectoring is present, hmm need to check that out.
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

I use the fog of war functionality that MDS adds successfully in every mission.
Tell me more. How do you use it, what do you use etc?
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Zoi

Post by Zoi »

Fog of War is like Radar. It uses the ships and you specify the height and range for objects to appear on your map. There are two classes of ships large and small and you can specify the range for each. You can also select it to show or not show enemy, friendly, your own plane or any combination there of. You may also specify the delay, so if you are simulating ships reporting enemy planes for example you could set the delay to 10 mins. Since my campaigns only have 4 to 6 people playing I find it more convenient than using the SEOW Radar function.
CC_Tofolo

Post by CC_Tofolo »

IV/JG7_4Shades wrote:Hi Tofolo,

Not so. While SEOW works happily with .mis files that include MDS directives, SEOW will not include MDS directives in any coop mission it creates. So there will be no need to edit SEOW .mis files to alter MDS directives.

And, I actually have no idea if the MDS directives are even active in coop missions. I have never considered MDS functionality in connection with SEOW.

Cheers,
4S
Thanks for the reply 4Shades, I understand MDS is appart from SEOW, however, I thought that since 4.11 stock this particular feature is included in, perhaps it could be managed via DCS.

I'll try with the setting this values in the template so that we'll see if it remains throughout the missions created.

Thanks again, sir.
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

OK Tofolo, good luck. I suspect it will not work though.

Zoi, yes I know what FoW is meant to do, but how do you enable it in your SEOW missions?
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Zoi

Post by Zoi »

I paste it into the mission file with the options I want.