Purpose of AAA Airfield_Objects in airbase_layouts?

The common meeting place for SEOW veterans and noobs alike, sharing feedback, ideas and experiences.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

Rejsyg

Purpose of AAA Airfield_Objects in airbase_layouts?

Post by Rejsyg »

Greetings,

I was wondering what the purpose of AAA objects are when creating an airbase layout. I read in the SEOW_Airbase_Layouts_v2.0 document that:

Code: Select all

SEOW layouts require that you define specific kinds of objects. These are ACHS
(AirCraft HardStand = parking space), AAA (flak sites), AB_Fuel (AirBase Fuel
storage). You must have at least one instance of each of these three kinds of objects in
your layout.
So I know the ACHS determine the capacity of aircraft an airfield has, AB_Fuel the capacity of the fuel on the airfield, but AAA guns? I do not see SEDCS placing AAA at the predetermined positions, unless there is a way and I have missed this step. All it appears to do is say there are X amount of AAA emplacements:

Best,
Rejsyg
IV/JG7_4Shades

Re: Purpose of AAA Airfield_Objects in airbase_layouts?

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

This is a relic from the early days of airfield layout design. It was originally intended that AA guns would be auto-generated and placed at each airfield, in the same way as runway lights are. However we soon came to see that availability of AA guns should be part of the order of battle like aircraft, vehicles etc, dynamically evolving. So the auto-placement was dropped.

Now, each airfield/airbase layout should have at least one AAA location, even though it will not be used. Just a programming relic.

From the command point of view, commanders are free to position their flak guns wherever they like. Any defined airfield layout AAA locations will have no bearing on flak gun positioning.

Cheers
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Rejsyg

Re: Purpose of AAA Airfield_Objects in airbase_layouts?

Post by Rejsyg »

Thank you for the explanation, in this case it is something that I don't have to worry about.
:D