Database installation

The common meeting place for SEOW veterans and noobs alike, sharing feedback, ideas and experiences.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

Mhondoz

Database installation

Post by Mhondoz »

First, hi all! I have just started exploring SEOW, and I am amazed about the amount of work you have put into it! :-) Thank you for doing this.

I have been able to install and run SEOW on my computer, using the XAMPP package (easy setup for Apache, PHP and MySQL). Now I want to install the database and mission planner on my website (non local). The problem is that I can only manage the database using PHPMyAdmin, and the database file is quite large... I am able to upload it, but the server times out before I get a response that tells me everything went ok.

So, is there any way I can verify that the database is installed correctly?

I have also been looking into the SEDB31_MySQL_Unix_split.zip version of the database. Is it possible to install just one of the files there, say for example Moscow, if you only intend to run a Moscow campaign?
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Mhondoz,

Welcome!
I have also been looking into the SEDB31_MySQL_Unix_split.zip version of the database. Is it possible to install just one of the files there, say for example Moscow, if you only intend to run a Moscow campaign?
The short answer is yes.

Here is the long answer. The SEDB31 "Reference" MySQL database is really only for power users, as it contains approximately 0.5 million records and is difficult to install. For "production" purposes, we release the split databases that are designed for individual sector operations. These databases are much smaller and easier to handle.

The MP is designed to operate perfectly well as long as it can see a SEDB database with minimum internal data structures (common to all split databases). It is perfectly OK to use a single map split DB with the MP, as long as you realize that it only contains information for the associated target sector. That is, if you choose to use a Moscow split, then you won't have valid data for any other sector even though you can still browse the MP maps for the other sectors. Of course, there is nothing stopping you installing several different split databases so you can run several simultaneous campaigns.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Mhondoz

Post by Mhondoz »

Thank you for your explanation. I see that installing only one sector works for me, both the database installation and the MP.

Unfortunately I now realize that it is a problem when I try to access the database from DCS, which I think is because my MySQL account can only access the database from localhost at my ISP. So I guess I am stuck with hosting locally until I get another ISP.
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Yes, this is a common problem with ISPs. There *are* better ISPs around that allow remote connections to MySQL - but you need to do some checking to find them.

Alternatively, there are ISPs that offer Windows hosts, so you can install DB, MP and DCS on your hosted machine and do all SEOW operations from there.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer