Battlefield Command and Control.

For bug reports and fixes, installation issues, and new ideas for technical features.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

II/JG7_Warg

Battlefield Command and Control.

Post by II/JG7_Warg »

Hi there 4Shades and gang,

Just to follow on from an idea or two that I've hinted at earlier. Have been mulling over during the week and attempted to get it into some workable framework. As you know, I'm always looking at making things realistic, with an eye to making it simplistic and kind to the computer framerates. Anyhow, I've borrowed a little bit from my old ASL days, I think I've come up with something thay may be automatic and feasible to the design and implementation of SE battlefields. Some of these are already being implemented and you'd already be aware of. I just keep asking myself this, when the troops start taking heavy losses, the last thing it wants to do is expose themselves to more of the same. Invariably the vigour of the attack falters and it goes on the defensive. My recommendations are in the bolded areas. So here it is on the forum and open for wider discussion and debate.

Radios.

The "radio truck vehicles" are used for this. The only exception being the Japanese, who have the option of using a type 95 Radio Tank. This is wireless communication and simmulates orders coming from HQ. This rule attempts to portray the communication difficulties associated with command and control at the battlefield level. Each radio vehicle has a range of 20 Kilometres and can control, ie. issue orders for movement to, a certain number of platoons or vehicles. This range can be affected by weather. The number of platoons and vehicles that a radio vehicle can give orders to, each mission, will vary on nationality and historic basis. Units outside radio range receive no orders and cannot move. See table 1.1 for this. Certain units will be exempt from these movement restrictions. Namely, aircraft, vessels and land units with singular purposes that fall outside these movement restrictions. These being fuel trucks used for fuel rules, engineers (bulldozers) for bridge repairs and radio vehicles. Additionally, ships of Destroyer class and larger can function as a radio unit.

Table 1.1
British & Commonwealth = 8 x platoons or individual units *(1)
Germany = 8 x platoons or individual units
American = 8 x platoons or individual units
Japanese = 8 x platoons or individual units
Italy = 8 x platoons or individual units
Finland = 8 x platoons or individual units
France = 7 x platoons or individual units *(2)
Russia = 6 x platoons or individual units up to June 42 *(3)
Russia = 7 x platoons or individual units July 42 to June 43
Russia = 8 x platoons or individual units July 43 onwards
China = 6 x platoons or individual units up to June 42 *(4)
China = 7 x platoons or individual units July 42 to June 43
China = 8 x platoons or individual units July 43 onwards
Allied Minors = 7 x platoons or individual units *(5)
Axis Minors = 7 x platoons or individual units *(5)

Notes *(x)
(1) Includes all Allies fighting in British Army uniform, eg. Free French & Polish.
(2) Applies only to France 1939/40 and Vichey French forces.
(3) Represents gradual historic improvements.
(4) As above, but includes Nationalist and Communist Chinese forces.
(5) Nations such as Belgium, Greece, Holland, Norway, Poland, and Yugoslavia.
(6) Nations such as Bulgaria, Hungary, Romainia and Slovakia.

Field Phones.

The "siren" from the stationey objects are used for this. This is wire communications, where a physical line has been laid. This were normally placed in permanent fixed / prepared positions where time allowed. Therefore, put them at all airfields and prepared trench systems. Generally they were more reliable then wireless communications, but had obvious limitations in a war of movement. The field phone functions much like the radio vehicle, but it cannot be moved. It only has a range of only 2 kilometres. However, all field phones can control up to 11 platoons or individual units.

Experience Level Rating (ELR)

Now its all good and fine to talk about command and control, but we also need to access the "battlefield integrity" of the forces involved. Naturally some armies were "rock solid" and some went to water. Within the limitations of SE, I have attempted to link this with the above command and control rules. This is by designating a ratio of radio vehicles to units they are commanding. This will need to be done by the SE template designer. Please refer to table 1.2 for each nationality and date. The ELR number, is the designated number of radio vehicles to every fifty vehicles. (Excluding the exceptions mentioned earlier)

Table 1.2
British & Commonwealth : Up to June 42 = 3, July 43 to Dec 44 = 4, Jan 45 onwards = 3
Germany : Up to June 41 = 3, July 41 to Dec 43 = 4, Jan 44 to Dec 44 = 3, Jan 45 onwards = 2
American : Up to June 42 = 2, July 42 to June 43 = 3, July 43 to Dec 43 = 4, Jan 44 to June 44 = 3, July 44 onwards = 4
Japanese : Up to Dec 40 = 3, Jan 41 onwards = 4
Italy : Up to June 41 = 1, July 41 to Dec 42 = 2, Jan 43 onwards = 1
Finland : Always at 4
France : Up to Dec 40 = 2, Jan 41 to Dec 41 =3, Jan 42 to Dec 42 = 2, Jan 43 onwards = 3
Russia : Up to June 42 = 2, July 42 to June 44 = 3, July 44 onwards = 4
China : Up to Dec 38 = 2, Jan 39 to Dec 43 = 1, Jan 44 onwards = 2
Allied Minors : Always at 3
Axis Minors : Up to June 41 = 1, July 41 to Dec 43 = 2, Jan 44 onwards = 1

Night Movement rules.

Generally speaking, nocturnal attacks by armour was a rarity. Too many friend and foe problems and allows enemy infantry to close range with the tanks. The only exception that I can think of, was Slim River in Malaya during 1942. Maybe a rule allowing aircraft, vessels, engineers, fuel trucks and infantry to move at night, but restricting armour and vehicles.

Engineers.

Use the US bulldozer for this. Not subject to movement restrictions.

Fuel Trucks.

The ZIS & Opel fuel trucks for this within the fuel supply rules. Again no movement restrictions.

Infantry.

Designate the MG42 as an "Infantry Platoon" i.e. a squad of eight soldiers. The moving unit as an eight man bicycle column, with the front marker linked to this unit. Also, it is the only type of unit that can secure control points. Please note, I've tried the DSK and M2 Machineguns, but they seem to have the ability to destroy tanks at long range. Maybe, can use these units for later scenarios and chalk this up to bazookas, panzerfaust and other hollow charged infantry weaponry.

PS. I'll include this in the "Wrath ok Khan" template under development and make amendments to any other that you care to nominate for testing.

Regards, Warg
II/JG7_Warg

Post by II/JG7_Warg »

Errata: ELR relates to the ratio of radio vehicles to every fifty platoons or individual units.