Recommended Software Environment

For bug reports and fixes, installation issues, and new ideas for technical features.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

IV/JG7_4Shades

Recommended Software Environment

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

SEOW software has several pre-requisite software packages that must be installed for proper operation. It is recommended that the following software packages be installed PRIOR to installation of SEOW components.

PRIOR to Installing MP
Make sure that you have a web server operational and handling PHP scripts correctly. The MP will not work at all unless PHP is handled correctly by the web server. The current recommended release of PHP is PHPv5.x, although PHP4.x should also work. Almost any modern web server should be capable of handling PHP.

PRIOR to Installing SEDB
Which software you need depends upon which database flavour(s) you install. For MSAccess databases, you need Microsoft Data Access Components 2.8 or higher (MDAC2.8 ). MDAC should already be loaded in WinXP operating system variants. The MSAccess 2003 application itself ($$$) is also very useful, but not mandatory for running SEOW.
For MySQL, we recommend MySQL5.x with InnoDB tables enabled, although MySQL4.x also works. Since the SEOW databases are now heavy-duty, try to use a MySQL configuration file suited to medium- to large-scale server environments.

PRIOR to Installing SEDCS
MyODBC-v3.51.12 is required for MySQL database connections, but I recommend it for ALL SEDCS installations, regardless of database flavour. .NET Framework 2.0 is another pre-requisite for SEDCS installation.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

102nd-HR-cmirko

Post by 102nd-HR-cmirko »

Hi all, i would like to setup a test seow server, i will outline install steps i thought to take and would like comments, it has been some time i last installed SEOW framework so pls take your time and give advice :)

1. install wamp

WAMP - http://www.wampserver.com/en/index.php

will this be good enough for MP ?

2. install MyODBC-v3.51.12

we will be using mysql db version of seow, will the up mentioned mysql be ok ? also i have a fully patched net 2.0

3. unpack MP4.285 in root of web server - unpack Mp4.288 patch on top of it

4. import SEDB30a-SPLIT2 into newly created mysql db

5. install and setup DCS to connect to DB

see if it works with some campaign :)

any ideas what could/should go wrong :) any steps i missed ?
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

1. Some people use WAMP successfully with SEOW, but I hate it. :wink: It *should* work OK. Get the latest WAMP version.

2. Yes, do this.

3. Yes, do this.

4. Negative. SEDB30a-SPLIT2 is a set of *.sql scripts. To use these to build a SEOW database, you need to create a blank database on your MySQL server, then execute the following three *.sql scripts contained inside the SEDB30a_SPLIT2.zip file (in order):
StructDB.sql
GenDATA.sql
then the sector-specific MAP_???.sql script appropriate for the sector you want.

5. Yes.

6. Once you have done this, you will need to run MP-Admin.php to set up your DB connections in the MP and test all that. Don't forget to make sure your Scripts/MP-Connections.php file is world-writable.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

102nd-HR-cmirko

IV/JG7_4Shades wrote:1. Some people use WAMP successfully with SEOW, but I hate it. :wink: It *should* work OK. Get the latest WAMP version.

4. Negative. SEDB30a-SPLIT2 is a set of *.sql scripts. To use these to build a SEOW database, you need to create a blank database on your MySQL server, then execute the following three *.sql scripts contained inside the SEDB30a_SPLIT2.zip file (in order):
StructDB.sql
GenDATA.sql
then the sector-specific MAP_???.sql script appropriate for the sector you want.

6. Once you have done this, you will need to run MP-Admin.php to set up your DB connections in the MP and test all that. Don't forget to make sure your Scripts/MP-Connections.php file is world-writable.

Cheers,
4Shades
why do you hate wamp ? :) still haven't started installing, do you think vanilla setup of apache and php would be better ? :), just trying to shave some time off configuring everything ;)
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Simply because it lags behind latest PHP and MySQL versions, and because it pre-configures things, which can often lull the user into a false sense of security.

I guess I am a hard-core nerd! :shock: Anyway, Apache, MySQL and PHP can be difficult to set up separately, so if WAMP works for you, be happy!

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

102nd-HR-cmirko

i after installing everything and configuring (initialized campaign) i get these messages when trying to load MP4

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in C:\wamp\www\MP4\Scripts\default-green.php on line 26

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in C:\wamp\www\MP4\Scripts\default-green.php on line 27

Fatal error: Call to a member function Close() on a non-object in C:\wamp\www\MP4\Scripts\default-green.php on line 34

any ideas what went wrong ?
102nd-HR-cmirko

more problems on the way :), wamp uninstalled, vanilla setup is now online :)

so i have php 5.2.1, apache 2.0 (latest, 2.2.4 gave some weird errors on admin email adress), and mysql 5.0.27 - everything is setup and working (php test page is shown normally)

i made a db imported those sql queries and initialized campaign (some tunis test), and can make connection to DB from DCS...., also MP-Connection is world writable, and i managed to write in correct info for DB connection....

each time i go to http://localhost/MP4/default.php i get an empty screen.....

any ideas, i will send conf files to your pm
Katana

Post by Katana »

Are Wamp services started ?... :mrgreen:
EA_Nem0

Post by EA_Nem0 »

Check if the php_mysql extension is working.

And check the Apache error log ...
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Cmirko,

Point your browser at http://localhost/MP4/Scripts/MP-Admin.php, (login is "admin" by default) set the default connection details to point at your MySQL Tunis DB, then set all sector connections to "default". Save settings, return to MP.

It is OK to point a sector at a DB that doesn't contain its info - it will just show a blank campaign. I recommend that all DB connection settings be edited using the MP-Admin tool. Hope that solves things.

I will be on SEX TS on Sat morning (my time).

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

102nd-HR-cmirko

all problems solved :), as usual as soon i think its some kind of alien in the machine :), i see that the problem is a typo :)

thx all for suggestions...