Truncated Ground Mission Duration?

The common meeting place for SEOW veterans and noobs alike, sharing feedback, ideas and experiences.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

AH_Moggy

Truncated Ground Mission Duration?

Post by AH_Moggy »

Howdy again all:

What is "truncated ground mission duration?" How does it affect missions?

(Thanks in advance, as always!)

Moggy
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Moggy,

According to configuration of the MP, it is possible to plan sea and ground movements for units that will take several hours or more to finish. In a mission, if a unit starts such a trip and has not completed it by the time the mission ends, that unit is called "In Progress". It will continue on its way in following missions until it reaches its destination. Units "In Progress" cannot be allocated new movement orders, and cannot change their planned routes until they reach their destinations.

By enabling the "truncate" options, you tell the DCS to make the units stop in their tracks at the end of each mission and throw away (truncate) any remaining waypoints. That is, you will never see any "In Progress" units any more.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

AH_Moggy

Post by AH_Moggy »

Roger that, thanks bud.

Moggy
Darkcrest

Post by Darkcrest »

Umm, Yeah, I have the Turncated Missions on for both grouan and Naval Assests, yet they don't move from thier starting points, when given a mission in the 1 Hour increments. And I still have the "In progress" stuff creeping up.

Did I miss something else somewhere?
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi DC,

Normally it is simple. However, if you are using the "Fog Of War" option, then you will not see updated reports of ground movement for another campaign hour.

Fog Of War is a very advanced and confusing setting (by design) and is not recommended for SEOW beginners.

If you aren't using Fog Of War, then something is probably going wrong with your setup.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Darkcrest

Post by Darkcrest »

Yeah Fog of War is setup and going. Turning that off would just ruin the whole feel of SEOW for us.

So, that means in the next hour long mission, all those movements will be completed, and those units can then be assigned to another mission.

Based on that, I'll look at this once more and check after the next series of missions. If the "Remove Missions In Progess" is clicked, I know it reverts to a clear mission map, but would that also, erase the "Turncated" missions?

Thanks,
DC
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi DC,
Turning that off would just ruin the whole feel of SEOW for us.
Maybe that's right, but turning off FOW won't change any of the recon intel stuff, all it does is give you immediate positional updates of your own unit positions and those enemy units you have detected.

I am not sure what the "Remove In Progress" function would do in a FOW campaign! I have a feeling that it won't change anything from your perspective.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

VT-51_Thud

Post by VT-51_Thud »

It appears that I am a victem of the Fog of War setting.

Can I change this setting in the SQL database without corrupting anything? I was afraid to just try it since it is done at the beginning and unchangeable in the DCS.

Our campaign consists of 2 CV each support by 6 DD each. 28 total AI objects.
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Thud,

I would recommend that you:

1. Make a DB backup in case something goes bad.
2. Change the FOW setting to zero in the Campaign_Settings table.
3. Hit the "Remove In Progress" button in the DCS.
4. Build and run a blank mission (no movement or flights) for 5 minutes.
5. Analyze.

If I am correct, then you should be ready to go with the rest of your campaign.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

VT-51_Thud

Post by VT-51_Thud »

Excellent...thank you sir. I've learned quite a bit the last few days.

I am definatly much more appreciative to Campaign Administrators.