More Glider Issues

For bug reports and fixes, installation issues, and new ideas for technical features.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

II./JG1_Krupinski

More Glider Issues

Post by II./JG1_Krupinski »

Scorched Earth Mission Planner v4.360
SEDCS 3.1.3

~S~ All!

I think I've stumbled across another unwanted feature.

As you know we are trying some pretty unorthodoxed things with SE. One of which is giving the Allies a glider, Me-321. First tests were fine in the end.

But with the BETA template, populated with all the objects we are using, and every I is dotted / t crossed, we found that the Allies can schedule glider missions, but no gliders were in the IL-2 mission.

Strange, I tried it myself and sure enough - it's broke.

I look in the newwaypoints table, and sure enough, the WP that was supposed to be the GA WP, is MISSING! (Note: No error in MP)

Troubleshooting today, I found that if I changed the squadron from USA/No 33 squadron to Russian<None>, it works. If I set it to any of the USA, other than USA <none) then it DOESN'T work. Setting to anything Netherlands doesn't work either.

So, some squadrons work, some don't.

Are there a list of squadrons that will work?

Or is there some idea, so I can be prepared?

Will this affect other object(s)?
I.e. Romainian I.A.R. squadrons won't fly because the Squadrons are incomplete in SE?

-Raven
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Wow,

I tried to write the code so that the choice of air squadron was completely irrelevant to the kind of aircraft used, i.e. there ought to be no problem using Me-323 in ANY squadron, regardless whether it is a US squadron, or RAAF, or OKL, or Slovak or whatever. That was the intention, anyway!

But clearly you have a problem. Please email me the beta template and I will check it out.

Also, note that there were some glider issues addressed in the 3.1.4 release (see http://seowhq.net/seowforum/viewtopic.php?t=279 ).

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Raven,

I initialized your template and found that there were several groups of units (air, ground shipping) defined out at sea, well away from supply points. You probably know this already, but those aircraft out there without designated landing points won't work well in SEOW. This gives errors at DCS Build time. Ignoring these "beta" testing issues, I found that I couldn't task the C-47s to fly as they were classified "en route", let alone tow a glider.

In the end, I issued some C-47s, gliders and flak guns at some newly created supply points over the sea. Then I commissioned one C-47 there as OffMap, then did the same for a glider. Then I loaded the glider with a nearby flak gun as freight. Finally I planned a flight for the C-47 with a GATTACK point, and select the glider after the "Finalize Mission" was issued. I added a fighter flight for human seats. The DCS built the mission (which had properly formed waypoint directives) and I flew the coop with Brandle as a witness ( :) ). The C-47 successfully towed then released the glider at the designated point, and the glider landed successfully.

If you are making a template with massed army battlegroups, I would recommend building those battlegroups from reinforcements, rather than have all those units floating out at see on top of each other from the word go. You can commission them as you need them.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

II./JG1_Krupinski

IV/JG7_4Shades wrote:Wow,

I tried to write the code so that the choice of air squadron was completely irrelevant to the kind of aircraft used, i.e. there ought to be no problem using Me-323 in ANY squadron, regardless whether it is a US squadron, or RAAF, or OKL, or Slovak or whatever. That was the intention, anyway!

But clearly you have a problem. Please email me the beta template and I will check it out.

Also, note that there were some glider issues addressed in the 3.1.4 release (see http://seowhq.net/seowforum/viewtopic.php?t=279 ).

Cheers,
4Shades
Just so you know it's an Me-321 not 323. And looks like the glider isses addressed is a waypoint field size.

-Raven
II./JG1_Krupinski

IV/JG7_4Shades wrote:Hi Raven,

I initialized your template and found that there were several groups of units (air, ground shipping) defined out at sea, well away from supply points. You probably know this already, but those aircraft out there without designated landing points won't work well in SEOW. This gives errors at DCS Build time. Ignoring these "beta" testing issues, I found that I couldn't task the C-47s to fly as they were classified "en route", let alone tow a glider.

In the end, I issued some C-47s, gliders and flak guns at some newly created supply points over the sea. Then I commissioned one C-47 there as OffMap, then did the same for a glider. Then I loaded the glider with a nearby flak gun as freight. Finally I planned a flight for the C-47 with a GATTACK point, and select the glider after the "Finalize Mission" was issued. I added a fighter flight for human seats. The DCS built the mission (which had properly formed waypoint directives) and I flew the coop with Brandle as a witness ( :) ). The C-47 successfully towed then released the glider at the designated point, and the glider landed successfully.

If you are making a template with massed army battlegroups, I would recommend building those battlegroups from reinforcements, rather than have all those units floating out at see on top of each other from the word go. You can commission them as you need them.

Cheers,
4Shades
Shades,

These supply points have been redefined. Those spots out at sea are now ground and air supply. Only way we can do what we want with the limitations of SE.

As far as creating massed battlegroups from reinforcements I have tried, it won't work unless two things are present.

1. The unit is generically ALLIED goes to the ALLIES.
(I.e. I can't give M16 to Axis side through reinforcements)
2. The unit date is before the campaign date.
(I.e. I can't give Lerche to Axis if Date is 1942)

These are limitations of SE. You might not view these as limitations but then that in itself would limit you to historical campaigns.

Like I said we are doing some pretty unorthodox things. in SE.

I will send you the DB scripts used to alter the supply points so you can try it with that. Also, what squadron did use for the Allied Me-321? If you'd also like I will send you screenshots. Also, a simplfied template that breaks can be sent.

-Raven
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Raven,

When issuing reinforcements, you can make any object available to any side (or both) simply by editing the "Nationality" field in the Object_Specifications table. Use "r" for Allied, "g" for Axis or "n" for both (neutral). The values we have there are simply suggested defaults. Also, issuing of reinforcements is not limited to historical object availability dates. If you switch the "Use Historical Dates" checkbox off in the Reinforcements tool of the MP, you can allocate any object at any date.

What we try to do with SEOW is provide users with reasonable defaults for things like object availability, resupply point locations etc, so that people can easily get something going. But for people looking for something more customized, SEOW offers a large amount of flexibility, if you know how to tweak it. The problem is learning how. Most, but not all, of the fields in Object_Specifications can be tweaked to suit your preferences, e.g. Verbose Names, Nationality, Service Date, Recon Capacity, Refuel Time, Engagement Range, Range (for Vehicles/Ships), Radio Silence, Parachutes, Transport Capacity, Transport Weight, Normal Group Strength, and Morale Influence. Airforce_Units and Army_Units are also commonly tweaked. You are doing great so far!

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer