Using skins and FPS overhead

The common meeting place for SEOW veterans and noobs alike, sharing feedback, ideas and experiences.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

DD_Friar

Using skins and FPS overhead

Post by DD_Friar »

I have read the thread on how skins work but was wondering, could anyone that has run a full seow using custom skins advise me please as to whether they had any frame rate issues / lags as a result.

Do the skins only need to reside with the person hosting the mission or should all players download them in advance for optimum performance.
Regards
DD_Frior
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

III/JG11_Mel and III/JG11_Tige are the experts on this. I did fly in a few full skins campaigns with them. The best performance is to ensure that all pilots have identical skins installed. Once that is done, and a test mission is flown to ensure all is right, the game performance thereafter is usually good. But it is definitely not a "no brainer" to ensure all pilots get their acts together.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

DD_Friar

Post by DD_Friar »

But it is definitely not a "no brainer" to ensure all pilots get their acts together.

Sorry shades, but what are you trying to say here, that I should make sure all pilots have all skins d/l and installed in the correct folders or that I dont have to worry?

:?
102nd-HR-cmirko

Post by 102nd-HR-cmirko »

main problem is the number of skins and players, if you are going to use just a few airplane types on both sides (and co responding number of skins) then skin download via server will not be that big of a problem concerning bandwidth. You will have a rather lengthy time (maybe more than one mission) in which your pilots will not see intended skins (il2 has a very slow way of "dealing" out skins via server-host transfer).

Easy solution, and much much faster is to pack up skins folders and also netcache folder (of the server) into one archive and ask your SE users to download it and install it, otherwise you will have a situation in which some pilots can see skins and some don't....

S!
DD_Friar

Post by DD_Friar »

ok, I understand now, many thanks.