Idea for future SEOW version

The common meeting place for SEOW veterans and noobs alike, sharing feedback, ideas and experiences.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

102nd-HR-cmirko

Idea for future SEOW version

Post by 102nd-HR-cmirko »

hi all, hi 4Shades,

I would like to propose an idea that's been forming in my head for a while..., strategic implementation of SEOW is very nice, and with trains (and new DM's for them in mods) it will be almost completely rounded imho.

We still lack some tactical choices (again :) imho) due to level of details for various sector of maps and precision of MP movements regarding with distances involved...., I've been using a feature of MP in last couple of campaigns (notably Kursk and Lybia)

"Freight Load/Unload Radius: 3000 metres (MP config)"

to further assist my tactical disposition of units for defense and offense (when creating task forces) with great success :) - i think that most experienced commanders will recognize this as a most valuable tool when creating defensible positions (overlap of weapons parameters). Since freight loading/unloading doesn't have mandatory time period between operations, experienced commander can greatly enhance his chances of successful defense or attack (with taskforce creation for attack) with this "tool".

Right now any transport unit can act as a "tactical command unit" which is imho unrealistic since a mere truck or engineer column with big enough "transport capacity" can be seen as an "on the spot general" :). I would propose, if possible, that only certain kind of units or columns (new table ?) have this capability to "instantly transport" units tactically (if possible, i envision an area of operations of 5/10km circle in which these units can act as a commander on spot and "organize" tactical formations of other units in this area). We would get another layer of operations for ground war with this idea imho. Also, "commander units/columns" will be a higher value targets which would be crucial to preserve/destroy in tactical sense. If possible, radio trucks could also be utilized for "size of control area" ?

Also, if possible, we would need "dynamic" zoom levels on sector maps for this to function properly - what i mean with this is,

an option on "sector map choosing screen" to select "command units" and instant zoom of map on those units as center to 10x10km - this sector map don't have to have anything as a background (since commanders will know where they are from bigger sector map, just a bigger zoom level on empty screen so that units are more manageable for "weapons parameters" overlap, another "simple" change would be that we can turn "attack range" for all units on one sector map or "proposed zoomed view of commander units"...., this suggestion would be very much welcome indeed if not to hard to implement.....

ofcourse that would also mean that supply carrying "trucks/columns/planes" should get only one load/unload operation per turn

S!

eagerly waitting discussion on this idea :)
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Cmirko,

Chap mentioned this idea the other night, based on some discussions he had with you guys a while ago. I have built the SEDB data structure for a "Command_Control" field in Object_Specifications. This field will enable chosen units to be able to load/unload freight without disembarkation delays. This system will still be able to be abused, but really how it is used is largely in the hands of the admin. By judicious choice of transport weights and capacities, it should work out just the way you want.

It is a good idea and it will be coded shortly, but will only work well with the disembarkation delay feature turned ON (affecting all other transport units).

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

102nd-HR-cmirko

Post by 102nd-HR-cmirko »

lol, Charlie me and Devill had a great discussion Saturday night :), I tried to catch you on TS but we didn't have same schedule for weekend :) glad he explained the idea properly :)

any chance for the second part of idea ?
about "dynamic zoom sector maps" and attack range switch for all units in one sector map (maybe even color coded based on type of unit - green for arty, red for tanks and so on...)

S!