Questions about recons

The common meeting place for SEOW veterans and noobs alike, sharing feedback, ideas and experiences.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

Ala13_Nachote

Questions about recons

Post by Ala13_Nachote »

Hello :)

I have some question about recons issues.

My squad has began a new Seow UP1.7 Mod campaign based in The Channel Map 41/42, the initial settings were 0% info for each side ( the commanders have no information about forces of the enemy) , human recon enabled, no fog of war, degrade 10% of recon information by mission...etc. and then an important aspect of the campaign are the recons made mainly by human pilots.

Well, in the first mission the german side only send 1 recon plane at the Dover harbour and it was downed. BUT now the germans have lots of info about british side: what is being produced in each factory and the points accumulated, location and type of ships and some information about sea and ground unit far of the route of the Downed recon plane...

Also an allied CAP flight ( 2 Spits ) over Dover extended his fly at 4000-5000m over Calais and now the british side have all detailled information about this harbour ( ships, AAA ). Then if a flight of fighters get all this information simply flying over a target the recon planes role have no sense.

I remenber have readed that if a ship open fire against a plane then his position is revealed in the map, but i think the information given is too much, more considering the case of the factories and the fact that the recon plane was downed. Can this feature be reduced or eliminated with any option or combination of options in the SEDCS or touching something in the BBDD? may be assigning 0 photos of recon capacity at the fighters planes in ObjectSpecification Table solve the next cases like the CAP one?

Shades if you want look it i send you the password of the campaign and details of the german recon fly by pm.

English is not my native language, i hope this post dont sounds harsh. As ever thanks by your efforts and work :)

Regards

Ala13_Nachote
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Nachote,

Thanks for you message. Don't worry about the English/Spanish issue, your writing is fine! :)

Some comments about your recon problems:

1/ English CAP (2 Spits) that extended over Calais will have returned ZERO recon. No flights gather recon automatically unless they are designated as RECON flights.

2/ German RECON flight shot down over Dover will have returned ZERO recon, as it was shot down. Only RECON flights that successfully last the mission undestroyed can potentially contribute to recon.

3/ I think the major cause of the unexpected recon levels in shipping units at/near Dover and Calais is simply proximity recon. That is, there are enemy ships within recon range of those ports, and ships are good at spotting other ships and infrastructure at long range.

I will explain more about item 3 above. Each class of object (ship,armour,vehicle,artillery etc) has its own recon detection range, which, in the SEOW version you are using, is configurable via a database edit of the Sector_Recon_Parameters table. Have a look at the "Settings" link inside the English Channel sector of your MP for more information about the recon range values, e.g. Recon_Decay_Industrial, Recon_Decay_Vehicle, etc. You can change the recon parameter values in the database as you see fit.

But there is a catch! :oops: When I wrote this code I did not expect that people would produce maps at significantly small scales. But I was wrong! The English Channel map is about 1/3 scale, so that means all the default values I have for recon ranges might be too big for that map. Furthermore, I defined in the DCS code some lower limits for ship recon range scales, fixed at 20 km, so that means some ships can detect other ships 60 km away, and that is a long way on the Channel map.

What can you do now? Well, increase recon decay rates on shipping and industrials, as you have.

What should I do now? I will remove the lower limits for recon range scales for units in the DCS code. This will be available in the next SEOW release.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Ala13_Nachote

Post by Ala13_Nachote »

Ok Shades, thanks a lot :)