Observation planes in SEOW

The common meeting place for SEOW veterans and noobs alike, sharing feedback, ideas and experiences.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

102nd-YU-Devill

Observation planes in SEOW

Post by 102nd-YU-Devill »

Hi Shades,

An interesting idea popped up in my discussion with Petr about our upcoming Normandy campaign:

can you launch (air start) an observation plane or a kubel/jeep (not air start please!) from a forward supply point (made by HQ)?

This would make a lovely opportunity for ground commanders to use the RWDs, L-5s, Tiger Moths, Storchs etc. much more and even effectively on any big or medium map.

Right now, these planes are too slow to be flown from a regular airbase towards the front lines, and back, in the time available for one mission. As a consequence, nobody is using them, and it is a shame, because some of them are nicely done and would give an interesting overview of the ground battle to the planners.

What I was thinking is that this kind of spawn, would actually simulate a small forward grass strip, from which courier or arty observation planes would operate as in RL. How he would land and be counted is beyond me, at this point, but maybe such a plane could be made to have a special status in the DB, so that it is not counted as lost if it ditches in friendly territory.

What are your thoughts on this?

Cheers!
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Devill,

All airframes can spawn from Air Supply points, assuming they are "allowed types". If the admin makes a rule allowing air supply points to be placed in forward locations, then that would work. The admin could then limit those points to only allow particular recon airframes to use them.

Drivable vehicles do not need to have any special logic about spawning. They are already supported with "spawn at previous endpoint" logic, so you can can start driving them exactly where they finished last mission. :)

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

102nd-YU-Devill

Post by 102nd-YU-Devill »

Cool!

Thx for the response Shades!
I think we are going to try this very soon! :)

Cheers!
=gRiJ=Petr

Post by =gRiJ=Petr »

IV/JG7_4Shades wrote:Hi Devill,

All airframes can spawn from Air Supply points, assuming they are "allowed types". If the admin makes a rule allowing air supply points to be placed in forward locations, then that would work. The admin could then limit those points to only allow particular recon airframes to use them.

Drivable vehicles do not need to have any special logic about spawning. They are already supported with "spawn at previous endpoint" logic, so you can can start driving them exactly where they finished last mission. :)

Cheers,
4Shades
I want a Kubelwagen! 8) :D
This is going to be waaaayyy to much fun!

Just a quick question though, from what I've seen, the Kubelwagen is treated as a plane, no? Or is there another way to drive these things?
Are there other "drivable" vehicles? Different types? Allied and Axis?

Concerning the air resupply points, I'm assuming they need to be created manually and potentially be shifted around to follow the front line?

Thanks Shades!

Cheers,
Petr
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Petr,

Kubelwagen and Jeep are the supported drivable types in HSFX and SEOW. They are actually aircraft objects in the java, but you just spawn in the driver seat and drive around. They are unbelievable fun inside a SEOW battlefield.

Air supply points: they can just be added/deleted at any time by admins.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer