Question: DB Size - URGENT

For bug reports and fixes, installation issues, and new ideas for technical features.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

USN_Opus

Question: DB Size - URGENT

Post by USN_Opus »

Hi there...

We're 7 missions into a campaign and MP is really starting to bog-down and I am trying to figure-out why.

A DB backup after campaign initialization was 1.6MB but after 7 missions, we're up to 6MB.

Is this normal?

MP is close to being unusable...did I miss a mySQL or DCS or MP setting?

Thanks!
22GCT_Gross

Post by 22GCT_Gross »

6Mb is a medium size; during J42 we had 20Mb db size at the end of campaign.
22GCT_Gross
USN_Opus

Post by USN_Opus »

Thanks Gross.

I must not have the mySQL (or something else) not set properly then as the wait times on a full sector load is killing me (and the other commanders).

:(
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Opus,

Perhaps you need to tweak your MySQL server to improve your performance. Here are some settings I have in "my.ini":

max_connections=100
query_cache_size=200M
tmp_table_size=103M
innodb_buffer_pool_size=643M

You may wish to learn about these options and consider how they could be set for your system to improve performance. In my experience the query_cache_size setting can be very important for Mission Planner performance.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Zoi

Post by Zoi »

I'm on mission 8 of my SCW campaign and the SQL export is now 28 Megs. I'm starting to get concerned. Is there anyway to reduce the speed at which it is growing?
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Zoi,

The tables that usually grow the fastest are Unit_Name_Mapping, ObjMissionData, New Waypoints and Waypoints. The first two contain data for each unit in each mission. Unit_Name_Mapping also contains data for each target object in each mission.

You will know the number of units in your campaign. Reducing the number of units will reduce the rate at which these tables grow.

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Zoi

Post by Zoi »

So is it possible to reduce the size of any of these tables after the campaign has started?
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Sure you can, just delete old records. But that will break various stats pages (Pilot Histories, Cumulatives etc).

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Zoi

Post by Zoi »

OK so I checked with Tushka and he informs me that anything under 100 megs is not considered large. Up to this point I had only ran small campaigns and didn't realize how much things have changed over the last two years.
A DB backup after campaign initialization was 1.6MB but after 7 missions, we're up to 6MB.
That post was made in 2011 and databases are 10 times that size now I guess.
II/JG77Hawk_5

Post by II/JG77Hawk_5 »

The JG26 Battle of France campaign went for 18 months or so and finished at 345.375 Mb.

In Navicat I used this query to get a size in Mb's of all my databases:

SELECT table_schema "Data Base Name", sum( data_length + index_length ) / 1024 / 1024 "Data Base Size in MB"
FROM information_schema.TABLES GROUP BY table_schema ;
Zoi

Post by Zoi »

After 12 missions my SCW campaign is now 315megs, I suspect something is wrong. I used my backups and the next build was 71megs so when I figure this out I will let you know.
Zoi

Post by Zoi »

Not sure but the Cartagena database may have some issue. I restarted the campaign using some existing data and missions and my last export of the new campaign is under 3 megs. I had forgotten that I had editted the Airforce_Units and AirRegimentStructure tables as the axis and allied assignments were wrong. There in may lie the answer to the errors and size.

At least I'm fairly sure the special character used in the SEDB33C didn't look right to me. I will let you know if that solves the problem.