Imminent 4.11 release

For bug reports and fixes, installation issues, and new ideas for technical features.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

WPO_Jones

Imminent 4.11 release

Post by WPO_Jones »

What is the "official" best practice regarding TD patches to IL-2 and on-going campaigns?

I'm using the HSFX mod pack, so should I continue to use 4.10.1 until HSFX has been updated for 4.11? Or should I just remove all mods, apply 4.11 and then re-enable HSFX 5.0.1?

Not looking for any hard and fast answers here, just what people who are running campaigns plan to do.
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Jones,

Normally the TD releases tend to break prior HSFX releases, so it is likely that installing HSFX5.0.1 over TD4.11 will cause problems.

What SEOW campaigners usually do is assess the new TD features to see if they would be useful in their campaign and, if so, wait until Charlie releases a compliant HSFX patch.

The last couple of times TD releases have caused significant re-writes in HSFX code, which means we have had to wait for HSFX updates. Following that, it sometimes happens that SEOW itself needs to be changed, e.g. the SEOW wind support following on from TD 4.10.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

WPO_Jones

Post by WPO_Jones »

I think the biggest feature of 4.11 is the AI changes. If the AI fight better it will make a huge overall difference to my campaigns where 90% of all air activity is AI vs. AI.
EAF331_Starfire

Post by EAF331_Starfire »

• Changed bomb/torpedo logic so that they do damage online even if “owner” dies before detonation
Finally torpedoes will become a viable weapon :lol:

I see many good changes/fixes. But I had hoped that they would fix the lack of sealfsealing fueltanks in the Mosquito.
Waiting for HSFX 6 support ;-)
Zoi

Post by Zoi »

I'm starting to plan a new campaign and considering if I should wait until the updated HSFX is available. What are the rest of you thinking?
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

No, because it will sometime after TD 4.11 is released before HSFX can be updated, and it will be some time after that before SEOW is updated.

In the meantime you can be running your campaign happily with what you have now. Often retro-fitting of campaigns in progress is possible too.

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Zoi

Post by Zoi »

Thanks 4Shades for your reply. This idea came to me in a moment of weakness after having 3 AI planes crash after issuing a landing command :wink:
WPO_Jones

Post by WPO_Jones »

Now that 4.11 is out, can anyone think of any pitfalls in running an SEOW campaign using stock 4.11? I know that the HSFX flag would need to be turned off for the campaign in question, but is there any reason why it wouldn't work or something would screw up?

Of course, all the cool features such as radar and better plane stacking on CV decks etc. would be missing, but for a bog standard ground campaign with land based air support, is there anything that would trip it up?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
"Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war" - William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar"
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

*) Factory plates will not work
*) Logging of recon photo wingtip smoke events may not capture the altitude, affecting recon calculations
*) Availability and flyability of some aircraft may be affected
*) No infantry units
*) Changed aircraft loadouts, possibly
*) Changed air regiments, possibly

All these things notwithstanding, the basic game should work ok with the current SEOW, in principle.

Cheers,
4S
Last edited by IV/JG7_4Shades on Fri 20 Jan 2012 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

WPO_Jones

Post by WPO_Jones »

Thanks for your response, 4Shades.

With the 4.11 changes, I think the next development cycle for SEOW will be quite long. Coding to take advantage of the new static plane spawn points, for instance could be quite tricky, but would add a huge amount to the SEOW immersion experience.

Anyway, I'll say it again, your dedication to this project is outstanding, 4Shades! You are a very rare and valued individual.
"Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war" - William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar"