External Cameras

The common meeting place for SEOW veterans and noobs alike, sharing feedback, ideas and experiences.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

WPO_Jones

External Cameras

Post by WPO_Jones »

Is there a way to place external cameras in the MP? I'd like to be able to place external cameras so that there can be a bird's eye view of a location for side that placed it. There is a Cameras table in the database but I can't find any documentation on how it is used.

Many thanks in advance for your answers and pointers.
Jones.
"Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war" - William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar"
Zoi

Post by Zoi »

I'm also interested in how cameras could be used. I understand that there may be some changes coming that will allow them to be used in new ways.
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Currently SEOW supports the use of stock cameras (enabled with External Views on in-game), which can be seen by both sides.

Have side-specific cameras is a new mod (is it in 4.11?) which would be very nice to have. SEOW will support this feature if it is available in 4.11 and/or HSFX6.

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Zoi

Post by Zoi »

The side specific views seem to work ok in 4.11 I have not tested them extensively. The options are a bit generic however. Options limiting them to a specific height and zoom would be nice. If they could be attached to specific recon vehicles that would be a fun way for commanders to view the battle field as the ground war evolved. The advantage would be that they would no longer have to guess at what transpired. The down side of course is the possibility of unrealistic intelligence detail and something would have to be done about externals other that static cameras.

Now that we have drivable vehicles the possibility for commanders to view the ground war already exist. Static cameras have other possibilities however. WPO_Jones and I have discussed the option of static cameras as a way to involve people who do not wish to participate directly for example. Obviously other people will have additional ideas that are worth exploring.