SEOW for IL-2: Cliffs of Dover

For bug reports and fixes, installation issues, and new ideas for technical features.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

II/JG54_Emil

SEOW for IL-2: Cliffs of Dover

Post by II/JG54_Emil »

Apparently it is possible to get all sorts of statistics logs from the CoD game.

This seems to work differently than in IL-2 1946.
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=23724
You or one of your squad-mates who is in IT can write a C# script that outputs specific data you need for your missions generator into a database. Or you can ask for such a script in the FMB section http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/forumdisplay.php?f=203

New mission generation is a more difficult task than receiving data from a previous mission IMO. If you have a mission generator it should not be a problem to get data from a mission it previously generated.
So by the first looks it sounds like the in and output are different.
The DCS core could be kept.

Why I´am posting this is because I think that Cliffs of Dover is now in a stage that will attract many people and the gamplay offers a lot more potential than IL2 1946(ground warfare etc.).

I´m convinced that CloD is the future. Maybe not now but the latest in half a year or a year.
102nd-YU-Devill

Post by 102nd-YU-Devill »

Hehe, of course CloD is the future, exactly as IL2 was the future in 2001 when people played Warbirds or some other sims if they wanted a multiplayer.

My personal opinion is that CloD is still in the same phase as was the first IL2 Sturmovik. So I guess it needs a lot (squared) of time to grow.

There is one sad part about it though... the level of detail of cockpits and planes is so high, that some planes will be just impossible to introduce with the same standard, due to lack of historically accurate information.

Another thing is that it will (I guess) be much harder for enthusiasts to create mods and introduce planes in such a number as now, due to the complexity and time needed to build these 3D models.

These are my thoughts on difficulties related to CloD and SEOW... On the other hand the ground war and ground vehicles will be aplenty, I am sure about that. Who knows, maybe one day we have a jeep/kubel drivable in CloD SEOW... or dare I say... a Sherman/Tiger?

...mmmmmm... (goosebumps)

:D

Cheers!
Zoi

Post by Zoi »

If a parcer output the data in the same format as the existing eventlog then that would be a start. The mission generator would not be so easy to overhaul. It has been known for sometime that a parcer was possible but where is an example?

I see there already is a campaign generator available but have not played with it.

The current level of interest in the game may have something to do with the slow development of these addons?
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Had a quick look. It is great to have an API directly into the game so we can mod it to do exactly what we want. So, just guessing now without any real knowledge, I would expect that a SEOW-style campaign engine would be perfectly possible.

Where are all the C# experts? :D
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Zoi

Post by Zoi »

We have 440 members if we each donate $10 that would be enough to hire a programmer for about two weeks. I would estimate that we need about 2000 hours of programming so the $10 dollars becomes $250 dollars. Converting the parcer and making into a new SEOW may take another 2000 man hours. I think that puts it into perspective. Who is willing to do $210,000 dollars worth of work for free besides you and your comrades Shades :D
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

I think you are seriously underestimating the amount of time put into SEOW. :shock:

Anyway, it is a real considerattion. Embarking on a new software project should never be taken lightly.

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Zoi

Post by Zoi »

I was assuming that a lot of SEOW could be used for any future SEOW project sir :wink:

In any case unless the Battle of Moscow is a big hit the user base may not attract enough modders to duplicate the effort that went into community based developments for the original IL-2.

On a more personal note I'm still trying to figure out the current version of SEOW and I'm not in a hurry to see something developed for CloD. I can use the time until such a development transpires to sharpen my unimpressive flying skills.
PA-Dore

Post by PA-Dore »

!!! SEOW is an undeniable success, it is for three reasons:
- A large community working freely step by step for many years
- Leadership of one person always listening to possible improvements
- Many, many hours of testing and working.
As we say in France: "Few words but full work" ^^

Please do not change a winning team!
II/JG54_Emil

Post by II/JG54_Emil »

A naive question:
How hard is it to learn C#?
Does it take weeks, months or years?
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

It is called a "language" for a reason. When I was first learning German, I learnt how to say "I go to the lake" in 5 minutes, but several years later, I really wasn't greatly advanced from that point. In English, even now, I am still learning things I didn't know before about my own native language.

It is the same with software languages. You need to learn lots of the words and grammar, before you can use the purpose and power of the language to create things yourself.

So I would say:

*) Weeks - simple things (correct other people's code)
*) Months - moderate things (write a new function or two)
*) Years - hard things (write a complete application/program)

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

II/JG54_Emil

Post by II/JG54_Emil »

Great!

Since the game is not "complete/finished" we have the time for that. ;)
Zoi

Post by Zoi »

lol
II/JG54_Emil

Post by II/JG54_Emil »

Has anyone here at least read something about C-SHARP?
Zoi

Post by Zoi »

Emil I know you are a skilled individual but what concerns me is that there are likely to be hundreds of people out there doing the same thing. The question is how do you find them? Most of the people here are still busy with IL-2 campaigns so it may be a bit premature to start any effort within the membership. In fact when I have raised the question of CloD in the past it meet with a resounding what's wrong with HSFX. I have been searching the web for any hint that there is a development team working on SEOW type campaigns for CloD but so far nothing. There was a rumor that an Italian group had access to the Russian programmers for CloD and had started working on a mission parser, maybe 4Shades knows something about that?
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

IL2DCE

This is the closest thing I have found to a campaign engine for CoD. From a cursory glance it seems like a DCG equivalent.

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer