Takeoff Vector Flexibility

For bug reports and fixes, installation issues, and new ideas for technical features.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

Hitcher

Takeoff Vector Flexibility

Post by Hitcher »

I know this can be done, but I can't remember how to do it. Can anyone explain this process?
Hitcher
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Every airbase in SEOW has its own "normal" takeoff vector specified by the Landing and Takeoff coordinates in the Airbases table of the DB. Usually, we try to have aircraft landing from the west and taking off to the east, but of course not all airbases are aligned that way so there are varying degrees of takeoff vector.

Unfortunately, IL-2 comes with some celebrated "bad" airbases where AI aircraft will have great difficulty taking off due to proximity of trees and hills etc. Tuapse Field in the Kuban is just one such case.

SEOW allows admins/commanders to vary the "normal" takeoff vector on an individual airbase basis. This is done manually by editing the record for the airbase in question within the Airbases table. The relevant field is called "ATC_Mode" (air traffic control mode). You can set this to

*) "landingpoint" - which means that aircraft land AND take off at the normal landing end of the runway.
*) "takeoffpoint" - which means that aircraft land AND take off at the normal take off end of the runway.
*) "swap" - which means that aircraft swap the landing and take off ends of the runway.
*) "normal"

Tuapse Field is best used with "landingpoint" for ATC_Mode.

Good commanders will investigate their airbases and use them accordingly to best effect. SEOW has optimal ATC_Modes set for SOME airbases, but not all. Anyone who finds better ATC_Mode settings for airbases is encouraged to post the information here for inclusion in the next release.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Hitcher

Post by Hitcher »

Dude! :)
Hitcher
Hitcher

Post by Hitcher »

On Ardennes, I want the aircraft to take-off to the west on Meinz Field. I entered 'swap' into the ATC_Mode field for that strip, but the tooltip in the MP still says the takeoff vector is east. What am I doing wrong?
Last edited by Hitcher on Fri 04 May 2007 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hitcher
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Nothing - the tooltip is wrong. I will whip that nasty tooltip into shape ASAP. :D
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Hitcher

Post by Hitcher »

Thank you, sir!
Hitcher
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Try it now - should look better I hope.
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Hitcher

Post by Hitcher »

It still says East. :cry:
Hitcher
Hitcher

Post by Hitcher »

It worked! Thanks!
Hitcher
Zoi

Post by Zoi »

How do you go about correcting these tooltips?
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Wow Zoi, a 6 year old thread resurrected!!!!

Can you elaborate your question please?
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Zoi

Post by Zoi »

When I place Swap in the ATC field the takeoff and landing vectors for airfields reverse but the tool-tip takeoff vector for that airfield remains unchanged?
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

I expect that your MP needs to be updated. I think I fixed this bug a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

PA-Dore

Post by PA-Dore »

It's sometimes useful to ressurect a thread, I was not aware of the swap parameter.^^