SQL files larger than 5 megs

For bug reports and fixes, installation issues, and new ideas for technical features.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

Zoi

SQL files larger than 5 megs

Post by Zoi »

My SQL editor ask me if I want to load SQL files larger than 5 megs into memory. I always say yes but was wondering what other people do?
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

I never get that message. That is probably a function of the editor you use, and perhaps of the MySQL server configuration parameters.

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

II/JG77Hawk_5

Post by II/JG77Hawk_5 »

I never see that either.
Zoi

Post by Zoi »

Update I have the choice of loading SQL files into memory or running them from the file. I checked and the SQL editor is up to 250 megs of memory when running the 43 meg export of my tables. While I have plenty of memory I really don't have a clue which is better, could someone care to take an educated guess? It now takes about 45 seconds to load into memory but I suspect it then executes across the Internet faster so it seems like it may be a wash to me.
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

You are being pretty vague, so it is hard to understand exactly what you are trying to do.

On Internet vs RAM vs disk: it is like comparing going to the fridge for a beer (RAM) or walking to the corner store for a beer (disk), or driving to the next state for a beer (Internet). All will get you what you want, but each has their own time penalty.

Any SQL operation run over the internet is thousands of times slower than a RAM operation or a local disk operation. If you are doing thousands of SQL operations over the Internet, it is unlikely that changing local ops from disk to RAM will materially affect the total time taken.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Zoi

Post by Zoi »

Sorry about the drama but I wasn't sure how large these SQL files should get.

Thanks guys!

P.S. I tried not loading it into memory and that didn't go well.