Firing arcs, technics.ini and the MP

For bug reports and fixes, installation issues, and new ideas for technical features.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

Classic_EAF19

Firing arcs, technics.ini and the MP

Post by Classic_EAF19 »

I am making a customised technics file for the next SEOW campaign but have a question which I expect will be easily answered.

In the MP if we look at artillery or SPG units and display the firing range we can also see the field of fire of the unit in question. Is that field of fire data set in a database somewhere or does the MP refer to a technics file and extract the data itself?

Also a question about firing range if I increase a the range beyond the range as set it the MP which one will take precedent in the actual mission?
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Classic,

The MP and DCS take ALL their information from the SEDB. In particular for firing ranges and gun arcs, you will see corresponding data columns in the Object_Specifications table.

In the past this has been a problem for SEOW, since it had no way of synchronization with a technics file. The technics file (and similar files) are what IL-2 uses to govern object behaviour.

This situation has changed with SEOW v6. Now we have the power to load, inspect, edit and save technics files using the new Technics Processor Tool (http://wiki-seow-en.swil.fr/index.php/C ... hnics_File). This tool also produces a set of SQL commands that admins can use to update the Object_Specifications table with relevant data from any technics file.

Now, a point of clarification. Gun attack ranges that appear in the technics file are completely different to gun engagement ranges used in the mission file.

AttackMaxDistance: the maximum physical distance each particular gun/unit can target and shoot to in the game.

Engagement Range: the distance at which a gun/unit will first open fire against an approaching enemy during a mission (e.g. don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes). Once it has commenced firing, it will then be able to target and shoot out to the AttackMaxDistance if needed.

I think it makes most sense to set the Engagement_Range in Object_Specifications equal to the AttackMaxDistance values in technics, as a starting point. The DCS then allows admins to set all the in-game engagement ranges to be a percentage of the Engagement_Range values using a slider in the campaign settings. So, for example, you set engagement ranges to be 50% of the Engagement_Range values in the table.

Anyway, there is enough flexibility in the system now for designers to customize their technics files, synchronize the SEOW database values, and then perform last-minute customizations using campaign settings tools.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Classic_EAF19

Post by Classic_EAF19 »

Perfect thankyou Shades. I did start my technics editing using the notepad but have now got into the tool which is infinitely easier. Its also great knowing that the DB can be updated easily from the technics tool which will save on admin time.

A little off topic I know but do you know how the column objects work? They do not appear in the technics which makes me think they are some sort of special object. I know if a column is partially damaged then SEOW will generate future missions and build the column from component units but how does the MP know which vehicle was destroyed?
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

There will be a different ini file in the game somewhere that covers column objects.

SEOW keeps track of all the vehicles in every column, recoding destruction events as they occur from mission to mission. If a column loses a vehicle, then in the next mission the surviving vehicles are placed and tracked individually (but are still recorded as being part of the same column group).

DB Tables:
Convoys_Vehicles: definitions of vehicle columns
Convoys_Trains: definitions of trains
Combined_Unit_Status: current status of each column (vehicular or train)
Combined_Unit_Losses: record of losses for each column (vehicular or train)

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Classic_EAF19

Post by Classic_EAF19 »

Thank you Shades, I assume they will be in a technics file somewhere but they certainly dont appear in the main technics.

Anyone out there know which file contains the speed settings for the 'column' units?
Zoi

Post by Zoi »

I'm always reluctant to make unnecessary changes to the database. As long as the host uses the appropriate technics file and the appropriate sliders are set to 1 in the DCS what point is there in altering the object specifications in the database?
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

The issue is that Object_Specs replicates some data from technics and elsewhere (speeds, gun arcs, etc) so that raises the prospect that unless synchronization is made the MP may display the wrong information on the map. This can annoy commanders!

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer