Adjustments to campaign

For all you devotees of this campaign based on Hergé's classic story.
II/JG77Hawk_5

Adjustments to campaign

Post by II/JG77Hawk_5 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:34 am

Warg and I were able to have a good discussion about the Pelican adjustments and this is the notes of what was discussed.

This of course requires review from Ikey being Allied commander and all items are up for further discussion as required.

* 1 brigade each of T35's, T28's andT26's to be supplied to Syldavian forces once HSFX 7 and SEOW 7 have been released. This is to bring multi turret tanks into the campaign and see how they perform.

*Long Radar Radar to be supplied to Syldavian Forces and to be contructed in Lvov being the capital city. This gives Syldavians extensive radar coverage of entire NE of the sector. This will be supplied both as the long range radar object and the towers along with a hut to place radar truck in. Specific co-ordinates to be supplied to me or construction and placement performed by 4Shades. As it is new tech supplied by external powers I would suggest build towers and then introduce truck to sector in usual supply point and transport it to final installation.

*4 TB3 -SPB's along with 12 pairs of type 5 I16 SPB's set in flights so that the TB3's and I16's can be linked correctly. If fighters are lost replacements will need to use the topup function so this is not broken.

*With the recon decay being increased significantly and the fact that recon after this will be a continual requirement, we agreed that we could increase total aircraft flyables to be 30 for Bordurian and 40 for Syldavian. However only 24 of these for both sides is allowed to be combat capable during any mission. The remaining aircraft are allocated for recon flights only.
So this gives Bordurians 24 combat + 6 recon, Syldavians 24 combat + 16 recon.

* Infantry and Mortors to be introduced. Supplied at ground supply points.
We didn't have infantry back when this campaign started its been going that long. The mortors, once introduced must only be used in indirect mode only. Direct fire is not permitted. Artillery was discussed but both sides currently have 105's. Maybe supply the Syldavians 122's as well?
Infantry and mortor numbers have not yet been discussed.

* 3 replacement armoured trains to be supplied to both sides. These were in action early on in the campaign and saw quite a bit of it if I recall.

* Additional trains to be supplied top both sides. I can't recall numbers discussed but maybe 3 each of those would be a good start point. Key differences here is that Bordurians get a goods train that has a flak truck. The Syldavians get a train that does not have flak but is slightly longer so they can carry more freight. Specific train models not yet decided. The current Bordiurian train in sector is a strating point as they have a flak truck I believe.

I think that is it with a possible additional R-X111 Ter as a night fighter?
We already have the R-XIII but Warg has suggeted this be added as well.

Cheers,

Edit: fixed commander typo
Last edited by II/JG77Hawk_5 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
II/JG77Hawk 5
SEOW fanboy of dubious repute
II/JG77Hawk_5

Post by II/JG77Hawk_5 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:07 pm

Might have a problem with the train differences idea. There is only one Allied train that does not have AAA and that is no longer than what Axis with AAA already have. So my solution is to just use a longer allied train that has AAA.
That being the case then both sides should get the Armoured train that has AAA truck attached as well. Why not.
II/JG77Hawk 5
WTE_Ikey

Re: Adjustments to campaign

Post by WTE_Ikey » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:14 pm

II/JG77Hawk_5 wrote: This of course requires review from Ikey being Axis commander and all items are up for further discussion as required.
We know you mean Allied.
Actually Wargs the Allied commander, I just hopped over to reds to assist while he was otherwise occupied.
WTE_Ikey
The Chimpmeister
Bogan Gamer
II/JG77Hawk_5

Post by II/JG77Hawk_5 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:45 pm

Oh yeah Allied, Doh!!
Its easy being confused swapping back and forth between campaigns as we do.
II/JG77Hawk 5
IV/JG7_Warg

Post by IV/JG7_Warg » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:57 pm

G'day,

Just to be clear on a few things.

1. The "Cptn Haddock Landship Brigade" is an armoured formation designed around traditional prewar Soviet lines. As such, it is a larger, more cumbersome formation than what was rationalised down after the disasters of June, 1941. It thus comprised of the following units:

Cptn Haddock Landship Regiment:
9 (3) x T-35 heavy tank
18 (6) x T-28 medium tank
54 (18) x T-26e light tank
12 (3) x ZIS-6 fuel truck
1 (1) x ZIS-5 radio truck
1 (1) x Jeep

Cptn Haddock Motorised Infantry Battalion:
16 (4) x Infantry platoon
4 (1) x 82mm mortar
4 (1) x 45mm ATG
24 (6) x ZIS-5 truck
8 (2) x ZIS-6 fuel truck
1 (1) x ZIS-5 medical truck

Cptn Haddock AA Battalion:
4 (1) x 37mm AA
4 (1) x 25mm AA
8 (2) x ZIS-5 truck
4 (1) x ZIS-6 fuel truck

Cptn Haddock Recon Company:
3 (1) x BA-6 armoured car
6 (2) x FAIM armoured car
4 (1) x ZIS-6 fuel truck

2. As stated, the radar set should be based in the Syldavian capital (Lvov). Preferably with a large tower to mark its location. It is first of its kind, whilst repairable, it is not easily reproduced without significant outlay of resources. Essentially it is "new technology" and is much akin to Dr Watson Watt's* experimental work with radar and RAF Fighter Command in the late 1930's.

* a descendant of the inventor of the steam engine.

3. The TB-3 SPB Zveno parasite aircraft combination was thoroughly tested in the Soviet Union during the 1930's. The combination used in combat during Barbarossa 1941 were TB-3's and I-16 type 5's, which is the combination we will use in this campaign. As Hawk mentioned, they have to be in the same unit to enable linkage. I'd suggest flights 1/1 to 1/4 each with single TB-3 SPB. (4 x TB-3 M34 SPB). Flights 2/1 to 3/4 each of two I-16 type 5 SPB's. (16 x I-16 t5 SPB). This specific formation using topups only for these two types of aircraft in order to maintain unit integrity.

4. Agreed upon the recon decay being significantly increased, but do stress the constant requirement of maintaining recon flights. Suggested that both the Bordurians and Syldavians keep their existing 24 aircraft plots for their own discretion, but each are allowed another 12 aircraft plots which must be single AI recon aircraft plots for the mission. That is a total of 36 aircraft, of which 12 are restricted to single flights of AI recon aircraft. This will physically increase the amount of recon going on, keep up with the decay and provide an enhanced combat or "target rich" operating environment for all participants.

5. Agreed upon the introduction of infantry and mortars. Will need to debate the strength of a single infantry unit. I tend to favour platoon strength or thirty men. Maybe thirty hit points so they stick around and are harder to eliminate. Should cut the anti-tank rocket team range down to about 25 metres or less to reflect "close combat" with grenades or Molotov cocktails. Mortars only to have indirect fire capability, which is plotted. No automatic direct rocket fire for these types.

6. Professor Calculus is still thinking about the Soviet 122mm artillery or the 76mm ZIS3, but is dependent upon how the campaign progresses and whether his attention upon the field of artillery is warranted.

7. Would like to see more trains. Maybe the Bordurian ones being better guarded by AAA whilst Syldavian ones have more carriages. We only need one or two armoured trains for each side. Bordurian trains getting the AAA carriage, Syldavian without. Really, am curious to see the new turret functionality on them.

8. I mentioned that the Bordurians get the R-XIII Ter version of the Polish Lublin observation aircraft. With increased numbers of recon missions, it's fairly clear that we'll probably need them.

9. The Letov S-328n-1 is the possible Syldavian night fighter. Is of Czech manufacture, who are friends of the Syldavians. As mentioned in an earlier post, I think that the basic S-328 should be an observation aircraft in the Syldavian inventory, possibly replacing the Polish sourced R-XIII's that were suggested as reinforcements earlier. Poland, like Germany and Italy, is a good friend of Borduria and not inclined to help Syldavia. The S-328n-1 was a special variant developed as a night fighter. It has four forward firing machine guns and equipped with flares. Still, it's pretty lame and in keeping with everything else in Pelican.

10. The Bordurians get a prototype of the German Karl Gerat heavy mortar for field testing.

Okay, I think that's about it for now. Look on this as a Balkan - European conflict, where outside major powers are supplying each for their own nationalistic agendas. AKA. Spanish Civil War. Czechoslavakia, France, Soviet Union on one side and Germany, Italy and Poland on the other side. Other nations sit in between. In terms of technology, both Borduria and Syldavia are fairly primitive, with the later lagging behind the former, but slightly ahead in numbers. I hope this shows in the campaign.

Regards,
Warg
IV/JG7_Warg
Knight of the Order of the Golden Pelican
Blitz buzzard over Valletta
Swiper of the Slot
Pugwash in Penang
HSFX Goodwill Ambassador
Founding Director of Simian Solutions
Emoticon Exterminator
von Paulus and the Crickets
II/JG77Hawk_5

Post by II/JG77Hawk_5 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:04 am

Now that we are starting to plan for our next mission there are some housekeeping things from above that need to be added.

The new tanks for the Haddock command are only to come in when SEOW 7 is released as we will be flying HSFX 6 until that is so in all HQ campaigns.

Remaing items discussed that can occur now I'll get to adding as soon as I can. This includes updating arcraft limits so remember there will be a lot of recon slots available.

I'll post when I get this done and hopefully it can be doubled check on Syldavian side that all looks well once completed.

Cheers,
II/JG77Hawk 5
II/JG77Hawk_5

Post by II/JG77Hawk_5 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:40 am

As a test for now I have upgraded the campaign recon settings as follows:

Global Decay Rate: was 2% now 10% (standard:5%)
note: All below were previously set to 0.8x Global ie. 0.8 of 2%.

Aircraft Class Decay: 1x Global
Armour Class Decay: 2x Global
Artillery Class Decay:1x Global
Engineer Class Decay: 2x Global
Industrial Class Decay: 1x Global
Railway Class Decay: 3x Global
Vehicle Class Decay: 2x Global

These are basically to reflect a higher decay rate for active moving units.
Its just a start, if any objections or input please fire away.

Cheers,
II/JG77Hawk 5
WTE_Ikey

Post by WTE_Ikey » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:32 pm

happy with your settings, will be interesting to see the map after a few missions have been run.
WTE_Ikey
The Chimpmeister
Bogan Gamer
II/JG77Hawk_5

Post by II/JG77Hawk_5 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:22 am

A few things still to be sorted out:

Things that can be done now for current planning.

1. New armoured trains for Syldavia. What railway supply point do they be placed in?

2. Co-ordinates to be supplied for radar installation once placed on map. This should be done over TS I think so its quick and easy. Or done by 4Shades, whichever happens first.

3. Supply point for the TB-3 SPB units.

Yet to be finalised:

1. Numbers of infantry and mortors to be introduced for both sides.

2. Agreement on how many R-XIIITer aircraft Bordurians receive.

3. Agreement on replacement supply train types for both sides and final numbers. These should be fixed in the production lines so they can be built by both sides as required. At high cost?
II/JG77Hawk 5
II/JG77Hawk_5

Post by II/JG77Hawk_5 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:19 am

On checking, Axis can already produce a fuel freight train.

Oh and the Letov S-328n-1 is AI only. Is this the intention, to bring in this additional AI plane?
II/JG77Hawk 5
WTE_Ikey

Post by WTE_Ikey » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:37 pm

II/JG77Hawk_5 wrote:A few things still to be sorted out:

1. New armoured trains for Syldavia. What railway supply point do they be placed in?

2. Co-ordinates to be supplied for radar installation once placed on map. This should be done over TS I think so its quick and easy. Or done by 4Shades, whichever happens first.

1. Supply Route Lvov 5

2. I have coords when you're ready on TS

3. Lvov E Supply (SOG)

The other part ' Yet to be finalised:' I haven't got around to consider these
as yet.

Bridge Icon Missing Noticed wood bridge icon for G5 kp 2 not showing on MP & toggling bridges confirms no bridge destroyed icon.
WTE_Ikey
The Chimpmeister
Bogan Gamer
WTE_Ikey

Post by WTE_Ikey » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:12 pm

II/JG77Hawk_5 wrote: Oh and the Letov S-328n-1 is AI only. Is this the intention, to bring in this additional AI plane?
Current arrangements are only 4 nightfighters / night mission. Adding an AI fighter will reduce the available human seats , can live with it with the number of people flying this atm , or maybe consider upping the no. of nightfighters per mission ?
WTE_Ikey
The Chimpmeister
Bogan Gamer
II/JG77Hawk_5

Post by II/JG77Hawk_5 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:53 pm

Radar Chain Home High added to co-ordinates supplied by Ikey so next mission will be hosted by Allied Radar and Allies will be able to enjoy the electronic view of the invading Bordurian Hordes!!

Cheers,
II/JG77Hawk 5
II/JG77Hawk_5

Post by II/JG77Hawk_5 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:20 pm

Bridge Icon Missing Noticed wood bridge icon for G5 kp 2 not showing on MP & toggling bridges confirms no bridge destroyed icon.
There actually isn't a bridge that exists there in game so that is why there is no icon. We have to consider it a shallow river crossing.
II/JG77Hawk 5
II/JG77Hawk_5

Post by II/JG77Hawk_5 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:53 pm

WTE_Ikey wrote:
II/JG77Hawk_5 wrote:A few things still to be sorted out:

1. Supply Route Lvov 5

2. I have coords when you're ready on TS

3. Lvov E Supply (SOG)

The other part ' Yet to be finalised:' I haven't got around to consider these
as yet.

1. Armoured trains now in supply at points designated.

2. Radar supplied and relocated as already noted above.

3. Tupolev TB-3 4M 34R SPB x 4
Polikarpov I-16 Type 5 (SPB) Ishak x16
Now at Lvov E Supply.
II/JG77Hawk 5

Return to “The Pelican Lounge”