Hosting/Technical etc

Sharing tall stories of the Illustrious Blitz Campaign together.
II/JG77Hawk_5

Hosting/Technical etc

Post by II/JG77Hawk_5 » Fri May 07, 2010 12:30 am

We should be ok to go now Guys as all is ok at my server if needed.
I'll check the CRT setting is ready to go and maybe we should do a test connect to check is good using all settings as mentioned.

I guess we'll use DCS 3.2.12 or higher for this campaign so lets start as soon as we can.
II/JG77Hawk 5
SEOW fanboy of dubious repute
II/JG77Hawk_5

Post by II/JG77Hawk_5 » Sun May 09, 2010 11:09 am

Hi All,

first mission has been hosted ok and flown by Warg and myself.

Only issue I found on a technical level was landing Takali Airfield.
AI aircraft hit the hill on approach. As such I changed the ATC mode to takeoff point as the other end is flat and clear. I'm sure this will fix the problem.
II/JG77Hawk 5
IV/JG7_Warg

Post by IV/JG7_Warg » Sun May 09, 2010 8:12 pm

Hi5,

As it's a new map and we've had little experience with the relative setup of the airfields and the unfortunate collisions with Valleta's barrage balloons, I think it only fair that you be compensated for the loss of aircraft in this testing process. Let's write a slight change into the scenario.

"In recent days, recon from Malta indicated the presence of the Luftwaffe in Sicily. Sensing the implications of this news, Admiral Cunningham of the Royal Navy authorised the urgent despach of the light carrier HMS Argus from Alexandria to despach a dozen Hurricane fighters for the defence of Malta. The recent upon the Illustrious has made this a matter of urgency".

The Argus is launching it's resupply Hurricanes shortly before dusk at a safe distance to the south of Malta. They will be lead into Malta by a single Fulmar fighter which is navigating the way for them. All these aircraft, 12 x Hurricane Mk.I trops and 1 x Fulmar Mk.I must be flown in as topups to existing Malta units in the 1900 hr mission. They are only available at this particular time and must arrive as topups only. They are operating at extreme range and are considered unarmed and having 50% fuel. Could the administrator please arrange for all these aircraft to be placed together in a single air supply point on the south, south-eastern edge of the map.

Regards,
Warg
242Sqn_Chap

Post by 242Sqn_Chap » Sun May 09, 2010 8:25 pm

This sounds very interesting :-)

I mentioned it to Shades a while ago but as its relevant I think, wouldn't it be good if you could set the fuel and possibly restrict loadouts (need only be all (liek now), 'default' or 'none' which would cover all aircraft types and loadouts) specific to individual air supply points ?

eg The supply point for the Allied aircraft coming into Malta could be set to 25% fuel and loadout 'none' , it would cover the Argus planes straight off wouldn't it.

It would also be possible to 'penalise' the use of air supply points in more general circumstances this way and encourage planners to put aircraft on airfields.

In J42 I have really noticed a tendancy to use air supply points more and more (and withdraw at them at the end to get around the refueling delay :-(
(not even going to post what I think about this... but i feel very sure that you would probably agree !).

Sorry, hope this isn't too 'off topic' but I htought of this originaly for exactly the same kind of ferry operations and then thought that it may be a very useful thing to be able to do ?
Last edited by 242Sqn_Chap on Mon May 10, 2010 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
IV/JG7_Warg

Post by IV/JG7_Warg » Mon May 10, 2010 1:05 am

G'day Chap,

Nope it isn't off topic. I agree, there have been situations where using an air supply point took advantage of circumstances which many template designers would see as a contravention of the spirit of the campaign. That is why it is always best to build safeguards into SEOW to guard against it. So yes, it would be nice to set the fuel loads and ordinance for incoming aircraft from supply points. For this campaign, I have 100% confidence that Hawk5 (and most others for that matter) will oblige to the request.

Additionally, 4Shades mentioned that sometime in the future SOG points could be configured to what aircraft had the ability to fly onto other maps, including a time delay to account for the estimated transit time between each of the maps. It was similar to something that I was after when raised in conversation about an "Eagle against the Sun" multisector Pacific campaign. Is good to see things so responsive in the community. Maybe this approach should also be explored? For this Malta scenario, I'd ideally prefer 25% fuel & no ordinance for the Hurricanes and 50% & default armament for the Fulmar. The Fulmar had decent range, was also used for recon and later as a night fighter.

Another area that warrants attention is the use of "topup" flights. I suspect that many in the J42 campaign do not know about or bother to use it. A reason for this might be that they count as airframes in the mission count and don't directly contribute to the immediate plans for mission sorties. However, not using topups tends leave plenty of single aircraft flights scattered around the airbases. Ways around this could be to reduce the aerial unit names available in the database or by disabling the destroyed unit disolved button in the mission planner. In Malta, I am thinking of another approach used in conjuntion with the nightfighter rules of engagement. That is, topups are allowed at night, must be AI and if possible restricted in using 25% fuel and no armament. Will need to discuss this further to reach concensus with participants.

Regards,
Warg
II/JG77Hawk_5

Post by II/JG77Hawk_5 » Mon May 10, 2010 8:02 am

Hi Gents,
thats very generous Warg, thankyou, this sounds good.
Rest assured using the reinforcements via topup only is fine and very fair and reasonable and I'm only too happy to stick to the rule.
II/JG77Hawk 5
II/JG77Hawk_5

Post by II/JG77Hawk_5 » Tue May 11, 2010 7:30 am

Hi Shades,
could I get you to please turn the roads on in the HQ MP for the District A view of Malta. The image doesn't show the road network and makes planning a little harder.

Thanks,
Hawk 5
II/JG77Hawk 5
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades » Wed May 12, 2010 2:41 am

I'll try to remember this tonight! :)
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer
IV/JG7_Warg

Post by IV/JG7_Warg » Thu May 13, 2010 5:21 am

Axis missions in.
6S.Maraz

Post by 6S.Maraz » Thu May 13, 2010 6:00 am

When will this mission be flown?
Bye
Maraz
6° Stormo Diavoli Rossi - "Oderint, dum metuant"
II/JG77Hawk_5

Post by II/JG77Hawk_5 » Thu May 13, 2010 7:34 am

Hi Maraz,
the nature of this campaign is thats its flown informally without a fixed schedule and is based on just having enough poeple on at the time to fly it. This could be as little as 2 people as was with the first mission.

That said you could consider a usual rough start time as 22:00 AEST (GMT +10) on almost any week day night.
II/JG77Hawk 5
IV/JG7_Warg

Post by IV/JG7_Warg » Mon May 17, 2010 5:06 pm

Axis missions in.
IV/JG7_Warg
Knight of the Order of the Golden Pelican
Blitz buzzard over Valletta
Swiper of the Slot
Pugwash in Penang
HSFX Goodwill Ambassador
Founding Director of Simian Solutions
Emoticon Exterminator
von Paulus and the Crickets
II/JG77Hawk_5

Post by II/JG77Hawk_5 » Tue May 18, 2010 5:30 am

Red missions too. All set to go.
II/JG77Hawk 5
IV/JG7_Warg

Post by IV/JG7_Warg » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:58 pm

G'day,

I think I've fixed my game problems, though will still need to look over a few more things. On checking the stats, I see that the Axis lost a few bombers, one of which was to the Illustrious. Thought this was sunk in previous mission. Guess the British have finally perfected that secret AAA submarine gun.

Warg
IV/JG7_Warg
Knight of the Order of the Golden Pelican
Blitz buzzard over Valletta
Swiper of the Slot
Pugwash in Penang
HSFX Goodwill Ambassador
Founding Director of Simian Solutions
Emoticon Exterminator
von Paulus and the Crickets
II/JG77Hawk_5

Post by II/JG77Hawk_5 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:30 pm

Hi Warg,
yeah I'm sorry I thought I had killed it off but clearly hadn't.
I went in and increased its damage and it now shows as inactive on the map and yellow circle so I think its dead now.
I'll replace any losses from it to your supply point. It also shot up things around it as well.
Not bad for a sunken hulk I'll agree.

II/JG77Hawk 5

Return to “The Illustrious Lounge”