The Campaign So Far

Sharing tall stories of the Illustrious Blitz Campaign together.
II/JG77Hawk_5

The Campaign So Far

Post by II/JG77Hawk_5 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:38 am

Well it appears the Illustrious has been sunk!!

A good raid by Ju87's has done the job.

There is a strange issue where the ship was destroyed in stats but I can still see it in MP lightly damaged?

Continuing the campaign is being discussed with new axis objectives.
Stay tuned..
II/JG77Hawk 5
SEOW fanboy of dubious repute
IV/JG7_Warg

Post by IV/JG7_Warg » Wed May 19, 2010 7:07 pm

G'day,

Yes, I had four flights of three AI Stuka's attacking it with 70% recon. Was rather suprised at that level as the weather has been pretty attrocious for the three missions that we've run so far. Guess its due to the small size of the island and cummulative incremental increases from each recon sortie I was putting up. About four per mission.

Other things that I've noted are Hurricane and Ju-88 take off and landing issues. Some supply columns failing to move and mystified that the number four of my Zerstorer flight was not reported lost. Despite repeated calls to reform, I noted he was missing shortly after we sucessfuly bounced a group of Hurricanes near Valletta. Maybe he was lightly damaged and returned home.

For the future, I'll try to draw up new objectives to continue the campaign. I'd like to test paratroop, glider and seabourne assault operations in a SEOW campaign and this is an opportunity to do so. Am thinking along the lines of an early form of Operation Herkules. The existing campaign extended to include an Axis assault on Malta, with the British desperately running in supplies, troop reinforcements and shoring up defences. Will first need to do some more research, make it balanced and reach concensus.

Regards,
Warg
IV/JG7_Warg
Knight of the Order of the Golden Pelican
Blitz buzzard over Valletta
Swiper of the Slot
Pugwash in Penang
HSFX Goodwill Ambassador
Founding Director of Simian Solutions
Emoticon Exterminator
von Paulus and the Crickets
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades » Thu May 20, 2010 3:16 am

Curious. Looks like it should not have been sunk. I hope I can get on tonight to check it out with you 5.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer
WTE_Ikey

Post by WTE_Ikey » Thu May 20, 2010 5:07 am

Hopefully its not sunk, Ive only flown the one mission.

Attn Warg : Check out Davide Pastore write up on research of Operazione C3. I think you'll get some interesting facts for the Italian side.

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.mili ... ary.naval/

cheers
Ikey
II/JG77Hawk_5

Post by II/JG77Hawk_5 » Thu May 20, 2010 7:32 am

IV/JG7_4Shades wrote:Curious. Looks like it should not have been sunk. I hope I can get on tonight to check it out with you 5.

Cheers,
4Shades
I hope so if only to keep the campaign going longer. The discrepency is odd to be sure. In any case it highlights how we will probably need to expand the campaign requirements with further objectives to keep the pressure going for both sides.

Hope to see you on TS later.

Thanks,
II/JG77Hawk 5
IV/JG7_Warg

Post by IV/JG7_Warg » Thu May 20, 2010 7:41 am

Thanks Ikey,

Have been trying to get information together on this. You'll note by the breakdowns that the Italians were strong on artillery, was one of the better facets of their forces, particularly excellent mortars. You'll also note that the Italian Regia Marina was equipped with a considerable force in the Mediterranean. Actually it was the fourth largest navy in the world in 1939 and outnumbered and outgunned the Royal Navy in this part of the world. No carriers though. Like any navy, it had its strengths and weaknesses.

I've obviously looked at the 1942 Operation Herkules plan and am aware of the possible use of captured Soviet equipment such as the KV tanks. Am actually more inclined to use data from the earlier 1941 Operation Mercury at Crete. Equipment wise, is more accurate. Will be looking to get something balanced, realistic, reasonable and workable. Thanks for the information.

Regards,
Warg
IV/JG7_Warg
Knight of the Order of the Golden Pelican
Blitz buzzard over Valletta
Swiper of the Slot
Pugwash in Penang
HSFX Goodwill Ambassador
Founding Director of Simian Solutions
Emoticon Exterminator
von Paulus and the Crickets
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades » Sat May 22, 2010 10:25 pm

OK, I have performed my in depth technical scrutiny of the Illustrious issue. :wink:

Findings

There was indeed a DCS bug in how ship destruction was allocated for carrier vessels. This has now been corrected in DCS v3.2.13. I will send out a copy of this DCS to everyone and for J42 as well. The new DCS has also corrected the host seat issue seen recently.

For the Illustrious Blitz campaign, the true state of the campaign is that the Illustrious has indeed been sunk.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer
6./JG26_Pips

Post by 6./JG26_Pips » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:34 am

Oepz, 1 Tribal Class missing 8) , verry nicly build campaign. Looking forward to next mission. :wink:
LW/JG10_Luny

Post by LW/JG10_Luny » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:20 pm

Despite the Admiralty will give me a severe ticking-off, I have to say it has been a good job.
The bomb exploded into one of the boilers room ripping a large section of the hull plates. The drilled pipes left the steam off and the turbines stopped. Without electricity, the bilge pumps didn't work anymore and the flooding couldn't be stopped. Fires were uncontrollable after few minutes. Captain ordered immediate evacuation. Survivors jumped over. The ship sunk.
Fiji cruiser left a couple of life rafts with supplies and kept running in prevention of further air raids.
LW/JG10_Luny

Post by LW/JG10_Luny » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:11 pm

A well aimed salvo from the Fiji light cruiser (radar help suspected) hit the Soldati destroyer at close range. Fires lit up along the whole ship while the main guns kept firing until they were literally covered by the sea, with the Regia Marina flag still waving at the top of the mast.
6./JG26_Pips

Post by 6./JG26_Pips » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:26 pm

Despite the Admiralty will give me a severe ticking-off, I have to say it has been a good job.
The bomb exploded into one of the boilers room ripping a large section of the hull plates. The drilled pipes left the steam off and the turbines stopped. Without electricity, the bilge pumps didn't work anymore and the flooding couldn't be stopped. Fires were uncontrollable after few minutes. Captain ordered immediate evacuation. Survivors jumped over. The ship sunk.
Fiji cruiser left a couple of life rafts with supplies and kept running in prevention of further air raids.
nice :D
LW/JG10_Luny

Post by LW/JG10_Luny » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:22 pm

The watch on the HMS Unbroken didn't saw the slowly approaching enemy destroyer. She was running slow to prevent the bow's white surf moustache. The Royal Navy crew saw the flash of the first salvo and the ghostly looking peaks of water around the submarine. The Soldati was between the submarine and Sicily just to be invisible against the stars halflight.
No chance they had. The second salvo hits the submarine's turret killing all the crew but one watchman who was passing through the hatch, while the ballast tank valves were totally opened and fleeding the bow tanks. The shells also exploded in the forward torpedo room and the galley...

Was the last dive of the brave HMS Unbroken....
II/JG54_Emil

Post by II/JG54_Emil » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:11 pm

I was an eyewitness the battle.

The muzzleflash of the DD made me curious and then, in the moonlight shaddow, I spotted the shape of the sub in the stealing away into the dark.

It was rare and thrilling sight.

Unfortunately none of the sailors survived.
II/JG77Hawk_5

Post by II/JG77Hawk_5 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:01 pm

In the pitch black of night and with a report of the enemy destroyer nearby and almost in range of Malta's shores, the RAF did what they were compelled to do.
Attack.
The chances remote, the odds stacked against them, the crews of the Blenheims took off in the black of night loaded with bombs, hope and dedication to their mission.
Luck was with them as they came directly upon the enemy. The phosphorescence in her wake a beacon to her position.

The bombs found their mark with cruel precision.

The ship was broken in the forward quarter and sank quickly. Many of the crew never had a chance. The remainder drowned in the choppy seas.
II/JG77Hawk 5
WTE_Ikey

Post by WTE_Ikey » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:17 am

Rumour has the captains name was Schettino ! Those italian captains like to take risks.
WTE_Ikey
The Chimpmeister
Bogan Gamer

Return to “The Illustrious Lounge”