OVERALL CAMPAIGN SCORES

General discussions for all registered June 1942 administrators, commanders and pilots. Come in and sit down!

Moderators: IV/JG7_4Shades, 22GCT_Gross

242Sqn_Chap

OVERALL CAMPAIGN SCORES

Post by 242Sqn_Chap » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:07 am

This has taken a while longer than I intended.

Here are the totalled scores and Objectives for all sectors:-

Centmed

Axis:- 300,214 + 50,000 (Allied ships that got to Malta) =350,214

Allied:- 331,683 +100,000 for Valetta Control Point =431,638

Channel

Axis:- 88,412

Allied:- 56,927

Crimea

Axis:- 178,945

Allied:- 117,557 + 250,000 Control points =367,557

Hawaii

Axis:- 1,830

Allied:- 9,220

The Slot

Axis:- 148,941 + 200,000 for control points =348,941

Allied:- 153,549

Kuban

Axis:- 120,141

Allied:- 74,285 + 250,000 control point =324,285

Libya

Axis:- 176,108 + 40,000 control points =216,108

Allied:- 181,971 + 210,000 control points =391,971

The Mediterranean

Axis:- 5,650

Allied:- 6,436

Midway

Axis:- 101,754 + 250,000 control points =351,754

Allied:- 195,102

New Guninea

Axis:- 106,742 + 40,000 control points =146,742

Allied:- 116,445 + 120,000 control points = 236,445

Phillipines

Axis:- 7,120

Allied:- 4,030

OVERALL TOTALS

AXIS 1,815,857

ALLIES 2,177,160

Very close, one or two contested control points or an unlucky capital ship collision or two difference.

Well done everybody involved.

What does this actually mean ?

Absolutely nothing !, this was not about points but about creating and flying enjoyable missions.

The people that most impressed me throughout were those that continued to fly in what must have seemed like hopeless situations:-

Of particular note here I think:-

i) 69GvIAP in the Crimea

ii) The Finns and ~64s~ in New Guinea who flew against impossible odds and aircraft but whose delaying action allowed victory elsewhere in the Pacific.

iii) The Italian groups for persevering in the Centmed after a first day that could only truly be described as an 'abject disaster' but they hung in there and went a long way to evening the score....

There was impressive play in all sectors by many many people.

Look at your planners though, you probably have little idea of how much time and effort they put into this, but theirs is the TRUE GLORY.

Hawk5, Paddington, Justus, Armwar, Faustnik, Veltro, Basola, Maraz on the Axis side.

Viff, LewiLewi, Squog, Hitcher, Valya, Malysh, Classic, Meako, Devil, for the Allies.

And special thanks to PA-Dore, Gross, Cmirko, Tushka, Brandle and of course 4Shades.

Virtual Knighthoods, 'Baronial' appointments, Senatorial position, High Communist party office..and a zero packed full of explosives await... (if you can only survive the wrest of this damned war !)
Last edited by 242Sqn_Chap on Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:07 am, edited 7 times in total.
Tanker

Post by Tanker » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:37 am

:lol: Well put Charlie.
LLv16_Paddington

Post by LLv16_Paddington » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:35 pm

Thanks Charlie. It has been nice ride...
If you find me. I'll be shot down.
6S.Maraz

Post by 6S.Maraz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:14 am

I don't think that these scores do really reflect what happened in this campaign.
In Centmed and Libya, fighting was almost even, but we see that Allies had a big bonus just for keeping what they had in the beginning. It looks like in Centmed, the Axis had to take Valletta to win the campaign, but this was not written in campaign rules.
6° Stormo Diavoli Rossi - "Oderint, dum metuant"
Classic EAF19

Post by Classic EAF19 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:14 am

Thanks for posting Chap.
Molti nemici molto onore!

242Sqn_Chap

Post by 242Sqn_Chap » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:46 am

It looks like in Centmed, the Axis had to take Valletta to win the campaign
That wasn't the intention Maraz, the points in Centmed & Libya were to compensate for the huge points losses in ships that I thought the Allies were likely to take. (as they did a year before this) .

The sectors points scores were intended to even up overall and not work as self contained scores within individual sectors.

Those control points and the Centmed convoy rules were to try and force planners to do what the sector was supposed to be about. Without them, the RN does not even need to bring a ship onto the map and the Afrika Corp can sit in its trenches !

Maybe some of the control points in some sectors were not in quite the right places, or of the right values... we could but guess...

Over so many sectors , over 6000 + sorties. I can only guess what is going to happen AND I had to do this before a single mission was even played.... for many sectors !

The final result is within 5%.

The important thing was the missions flown, were they good ?...were they enjoyable ?

If a person can honestly say that they enjoyed flying in some of the 170 missions generated they 'WON' !
Thats all thats important.

In terms of Il2 and SEOW development, we all 'WIN' also...

However 'if' anybody flew the missions..and now these points suddenly make the whole thing a miserable experience..what can I say ???
Last edited by 242Sqn_Chap on Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:28 am, edited 6 times in total.
102nd_HR_cmirko

Post by 102nd_HR_cmirko » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:38 am

it was a very "real" campaign from my point of view - I also don't think that points are what matter in these types of campaign (although they are necessary for objectifying campaign results) :) but its a very good thing that the points are "so close" at the end of it..... I think that Charlie is too modest about his level of involvement so

S! to Charlie :)

S! to all planners, who produced such a multitude of well thought missions :) and to all pilots which carried those plans into something which is at least an approximation of original plans :)

cheers mates :)
Faustnik

Post by Faustnik » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:13 am

Actual score:

Kuban

Allied:- 74,285 + 250,000 points for Novo control point
EAF92_Meako

Post by EAF92_Meako » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:21 pm

As Chap states we could easily have reduced the points lost by our side by not fielding any Carriers, Battleships or Many Cruisers but we felt that our task was to succesfully get merchant ships through to Malta and ensure that Malta was not captured.

As we understood it failure to get those merchant ships through would be regardless of points a defeat for the allies.

You may not have known about the number of points that Malta was worth but capturing it was always an option to you like us taking Pantelleria, but had those merchants of ours all been sunk then regardless of capture or not we would have lost.

Those convoys cost both sides dear and that was close to reality, both sides paying a price but enough getting through to claim victory by merely surviving.

After 6 months that is a testament to the design of the template.

S! to all involved and now its time for Grappa :).
LW/JG10_Luny

Post by LW/JG10_Luny » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:27 pm

Faustnik wrote:Actual score:

Kuban

Blue forces took the Goryachiy Kluch airfield. Despite it was not a control point, makes a great difference in the reds air to ground support in the area around Goryachiy Kluch, giving a superior advantage to the blue forces in the final Goryachiy's city assault, wich would be the next step if we had time for that.

Anyway, three days is too few time to advance 100 km from Krasnodar to Novorossiysk and take the control of the city, even for the real Wehrmacht.
=AVG=Storm

Post by =AVG=Storm » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:02 pm

LW/JG10_Luny wrote:
Faustnik wrote:Actual score:

Kuban

Blue forces took the Goryachiy Kluch airfield. Despite it was not a control point, makes a great difference in the reds air to ground support in the area around Goryachiy Kluch, giving a superior advantage to the blue forces in the final Goryachiy's city assault, wich would be the next step if we had time for that.

Anyway, three days is too few time to advance 100 km from Krasnodar to Novorossiysk and take the control of the city, even for the real Wehrmacht.
At the end, GK Field was left in contention. The Axis side did not take GK field.
Cipson

Post by Cipson » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:43 pm

EAF92_Meako wrote:....ensure that Malta was not captured.

You may not have known about the number of points that Malta was worth but capturing it was always an option to you like us taking Pantelleria, but had those merchants of ours all been sunk then regardless of capture or not we would have lost.
Gentlemen sorry for pointing but your comments are really surprising...

The capture of Malta was an impossible option for Axis Side, not having any suitable means (tanks = 0), not counting the initial inferiority in ships, aircrafts and tactical situation. (Radar and so on)

Mission Orders were related only to Stop the Allied Convoys directed to Malta, and just this duty was very difficult, outnumbered by an incredible (and unrealistic) number of Spitfires and Beaufighters at disposal of British Command. Considering Libya and Centmed sectors we splashed more than 180 Spitfires and 100 Beaufighters, with high losses and without stopping their presence for all the Campaign.
If you think that in history, for the whole year 1942, North Africa British Command could count only on 36 Spitfire plus 2 Recon Spits, you can have an idea of the effort we had to perform in this sector.

Just to arrive over Malta only for a Bombing run were an Eroic and Bloody task...

Therefore his capture was out of any reasonable opportunity...

I am very surprise of your very low feeling of Axis Situation and about your surprising comments. :roll:

Anyway Salute!
=69.GIAP=MALYSH

Post by =69.GIAP=MALYSH » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:05 am

Gentlemen, as Chap has said: who cares???

Why are we arguing about having contested an airfield or not having captured an island? Some scenarios were lopsided, for sure, but we chose to fly in them. Now the campaign is over, are we just going to remember who won and lost? If that's the case we might as well have run the campaign with AI.

Cipson if you think the F4 vs Spit matchup was in the allied favour, think about the P40 vs A6M2/A6M3 matchup, or worse the F4 vs P400/LaGG matchup. A lot of people had it hard on both sides, they did the best they could, and hopefully they had fun. Let's move on.
EAF92_Meako

Post by EAF92_Meako » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:21 am

Sorry you may have taken offence, none intended and i did not have a low opinion of my opponents.

From our point of view we always felt Malta was a potential target of capture and felt it necessary to protect it, we did not for understandable reasons know that you were not given the means to capture it.

Convoys were in my opinion the deciding factor in the campaign as in real life, had we failed to get our ships through then regardless of points we would have lost.

Re the Spitfires and Beaufighters they were not the only aircraft used by us and we could easily point out similar un historical numbers on the axis order of battle, but what does this argument achieve.

Once you introduce production you cannot then maintain an historical balance.

The argument of too many of this or that is unhistorical has been used before and i really do not want another flame war, but it seems that it is used against us allies and not accepted your side too had unhistorical numbers of certain units too.

Both sides did un historical things and ended up with more of one type of unit or another that was un historical so lets please stop throwing stats at each other and celebrate what was 6 months of a hard fought enjoyable campaign.
Cipson

Post by Cipson » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:51 am

Gentlemen,

you argued before, I made my precisations after, that's all... :wink:

Anyway, mantaining my reserves on some methods, I agree with everybody that this experience was very interesting, it gave us the opportunity to know a lot of Friends, it will be nice for future engagements.

For all this, I join everybody in thanking the great efforts of Admins and Developers all for realising this FANTASTIC IDEA REPRESENTED BY SEOW

"The only way to play IL-2 is SEOW"

Return to “The Global Lounge, June 1942”