Midway mission crash

General discussions for all registered June 1942 administrators, commanders and pilots. Come in and sit down!

Moderators: IV/JG7_4Shades, 22GCT_Gross

15/JG52_Robi

Midway mission crash

Post by 15/JG52_Robi » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:33 pm

One of my guys saw that ship AAA started to shoot and at that time we started to have stutters and the server died. So, I suppose these problems might be related with too heavy ship AAA, something maybe the heads-up could check out...just trying to help here guys...
242Sqn_Chap

Post by 242Sqn_Chap » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:16 pm

Robi exactly the same thing happened the first time that we tried to run this sector also.

About 10 players (and the server itself) did not get the freezes at all and where able to fly on afterwards. I am going to step back and think some more about this.

We do now know a lot more about this now:-

The missions Freezes when a players computer runs out of RAM. This is not related to power of your PC but how the resources are being used and how much IL2 can call upon.

Number of Ships moving and aircraft/players in the mission of course are all very closely related to RAM useage.

a) players that can run the modified 1GB il2fb.exe were much less likely to be affected (but that was only a few players...... and the server.

b) 22GCT_Gross has a little application that clears the RAM periodicaly, again players using this (and the 1GB exe ?) were not affected by the Freeze.

Midway is the most problematic sector currently. It has done this twice now. I think we are getting much nearer to a solution and will carry on looking into this into next week.

Midway of all sectors is least 'connected', at least for the first day so fortunately it matters less if it gets a mission behind unlike other sectors.
22GCT_Gross

Post by 22GCT_Gross » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:32 pm

Charlie, you have an email.
22GCT_Gross
www.22GCT.it
15/JG52_Robi

Post by 15/JG52_Robi » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:12 am

Okay Charlie, I will use the recommended settings (the modified exe file), but I do have a high performance machine with lots of RAM and this never ever happened to me on any other map.

I find it difficult to believe that my machine would run out of RAM after 50 minutes... :?:

And what about this mission, will it be valid? I think it should be re-played, I know that is not fair to the 10 players that remained in the mission but also, we had many more players who disconnected...if the mission will be valid then at least we should "return" the lost planes to both sides, Japanese do not have production in pacific so loosing so many planes due to disconnects will halt the Pacific campaign really soon...
=69.GIAP=MALYSH

Post by =69.GIAP=MALYSH » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:25 am

some things that may shed some light:

I had direct contact with 8 players in completely isolated locations, in 2 groups. In the first group 3 were kicked at around the same time, all 3 had more RAM that I did and I know for sure that 2 used the modified exe. The second group also had knowledge of the modified exe and I know that 2 were kicked, so I wonder if it has that much to do with RAM if almost all players were kicked at the same time even though most of us have varying amounts of RAM, and some with less RAM did not get kicked at all.
=VARP=Gec

Post by =VARP=Gec » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:01 am

i was reading about the problem on other thread and was observing my RAM consumption all the time during the gameplay.

it never exceeded 75% of my 3GB of RAM and still had a freeze.

did not use modified exe in this mission but did in some other missions and had a game crash. that's why i did not use it last night.
________
ipod games
Last edited by =VARP=Gec on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
22GCT_Basola

Post by 22GCT_Basola » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:20 am

surely the problem is in the ram.
what kind of ram and problems, i don't know :D
may be how il2 use it, may be that it have problem to move and work big block (if you see, it never clean the RAM), may be other issues, as we know is an old program.

me, with 2Gb ram, sometimes had freezed due to filled ram by il2 (over 770Mb allocated to il2precess+1gb at il2+history start+400mb for windowsxp....il2 crash), but player with 4Gb had freezes with less than 2gb allocated....

so, only one cure is very difficoult to found!
my team mates had found (i hope :D) a solution, surely for midway problem!
It is a composed problem, and maybe that now we clear this problem and tomorrow will be another problem.....
But we are talking for today! so....
1Gb file (if istalled perfectly, i know that some people had istalled it in wrong way, so it doesnt work) clear the problem of il2 memory usage, Ramrush clear PC memory when it is occupied too much!

it work perfectly and automatic with PC with 2GB mounted RAM.
May be necessary a little work to use it with Pc with 3Gbram or more!
Il2 could freeze before memory fill (may be due to Il2 Programm error with modern machines).
So someone of us have putted the ramrush using manual key combination just to avoid it!

so, yesterday they have flown all mission.
me, only with ramrush i've had freeze at 50min.
IAF.ViFF

Post by IAF.ViFF » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:32 am

The Midway mission with all its ships, carriers, and all their movement and AA guns' AI routines are hitting two limitations.

Limitation of the block amount of memory il2fb.exe allows itself to use. Solved with 1GB exe.

Limitation of amount of memory the OS is allowing the process il2fb to use. Solved with Ramrush.

We will test again with these two items on Thursday Jan 7th, with the hopes that this is the final solution.

S!
IAF.ViFF

http://www.preflight.us
Israel's Combat Flight Sim Community Center

Return to “The Global Lounge, June 1942”