Thursday Jan 7th 20:00GMT- Midway Sector Mission

General discussions for all registered June 1942 administrators, commanders and pilots. Come in and sit down!

Moderators: IV/JG7_4Shades, 22GCT_Gross

IAF.ViFF

Thursday Jan 7th 20:00GMT- Midway Sector Mission

Post by IAF.ViFF » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:04 am

Hi folks,

On Thursday Jan 7th, Allies and Axis, we will be running the Midway Sector Mission # 1. This should be the definitive mission for the Midway Sector. On this one we either make it or break it.

Technical State of Affairs

We are all focused to overcome the technical difficulties we have been experiencing. The main issue being the disconnects, the second being the RADAR for the Allied. Both issues have been addressed and our objective is to run this mission from start to finish and get this sector running alongside the others sectors of J42. All participants are requested to comply with the technical steps we have outlined to avoid the RAM related freezes.

I completely understand those who have misgivings about this not being a "Turn Key" or "One Click" event and that too much technical fiddling is required of them. But please consider that we are at the very edge of the performance envelope of what a flight sim from 2001 can do. The HSFX v4.1 Mod, the involvement of over 60 planes, RADAR, 8x moving Aircraft Carriers, and a multitude of other war ships maneuvering on a 600x600 map, etc, this is all cutting edge stuff.

Nobody else in the IL2 community is doing this or has accomplished something of this magnitude before. No other community has endeavoured to run an event of this scale and magnitude. Its been a long road and we are learning as we go. Sometimes trial and error is the only way you can sort out problems without the developer's debugging tools. We are all together travelling on unchartered ground, blazing a path for the rest of the IL2 community to follow in our footsteps.

We have a fantastic development team that is supporting us around the clock 24/7 to make this happen. We appreciate the efforts of Charlie, 4Shades, Gross, and Mirko, (and others forgive me I forget to mention) who invest a tremendous amount of their free and personal time to build, maintain and manage all the software of this event. I am there with them to see this come to fruition, and hope to see you all onboard with us.

Technical Instructions for all participants to comply with
In order to overcome the RAM related freezes and disconnects, all participants are asked to follow the instructions as set forth in the following link:
viewtopic.php?t=386

Cya all there!
S!
IAF.ViFF

http://www.preflight.us
Israel's Combat Flight Sim Community Center
15/JG52_Robi

Post by 15/JG52_Robi » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:20 am

A few of my observations regarding this:

I must say that I have tried the 1GB exe file for Channel 1942 and I had artifacts and frozen image. I had to exit and act as a Radar operative the rest of the mission which had its perks as well.

I have also installed the Ramrush....

This is my situation only but as I said I used both of the methods and they did not help.
I will leave ramrush installed but I will revert to the original il2fb.exe.

maybe it would be a nice idea if few of us would meet today and start the Midway map with only a few planes in the game. Then, we will see if we get the freeze after 50mins...if we do then it is possible that we have a problem with the map itself, not the user's PC's...just an idea.

Oh and by the way, i have a high spec PC and I have never-ever had any problems on any map before , which leads me to be suspicious that the problem may be with the map itself.

And of course, my deepest respect for the people making all this one-of-a-kind experience possible!
:)
22GCT_Gross

Post by 22GCT_Gross » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:09 am

see PM
22GCT_Gross
www.22GCT.it
22GCT_Basola

Post by 22GCT_Basola » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:24 pm

roby i can help you!
in last Midway mission i've used only ramrush with old exe and i've freeze at 50min!

my machine is one years old, with 2gb ram and asus 9800gtx.
so with old exe may be that you freeze also!

are you sure you have installed prefectly (or may be that Gross had help you via Pm)
15/JG52_Robi

Post by 15/JG52_Robi » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:43 pm

Hi Basola,

Yes I have installed exactly according to instructions. It did not help. I have 4 GB of RAM so it is not the amount of RAM that is causing this.

I will try with Gross's instructions from PM.
Tanker

Post by Tanker » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:45 pm

What are the "created" and "modified" dates for the correct 1GB exe?
15/JG52_Robi

Post by 15/JG52_Robi » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:11 pm

Tanker, you just look at the properties of the il2fb.exe file and the "last date modified" must be 28.12.2009. The original file has the date in 2007.

For everybody, i did 2 tests tonight with Ramrush and original exe file, I did NOT have a crash!

First time I played the the mission for 60 minutes, second time for 56 minutes, so both times over the 50 minute mark that we had the crashes last time.

I am not saying that this will work for everbody but it seems to work for me so that is the setup I will use tomorrow.
Tanker

Post by Tanker » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:04 pm

Got it set now.
22GCT_Basola

Post by 22GCT_Basola » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:06 am

15/JG52_Robi wrote:Tanker, you just look at the properties of the il2fb.exe file and the "last date modified" must be 28.12.2009. The original file has the date in 2007.

For everybody, i did 2 tests tonight with Ramrush and original exe file, I did NOT have a crash!

First time I played the the mission for 60 minutes, second time for 56 minutes, so both times over the 50 minute mark that we had the crashes last time.

I am not saying that this will work for everbody but it seems to work for me so that is the setup I will use tomorrow.

i think that some solutions could be good in some Pcs, bad in others.

Example! i've had freezes in lybia, crimea and midway.

with original exe and ramrush i've never had freeze too in lybia and crimea (over 100 mins test missions played).
so i think, ok i've found my solution.......Error :(.....in Midway i was freezed too.
so my first solution solved the frezzes in lybia and crimea but not in midway.
so, with my machine, i need to try anotoher setting (with 1Gb Exe than the original).

But may be that solutions not workable in my machine, could be functionable in other machines
15/JG52_Robi

Post by 15/JG52_Robi » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:28 am

Following yet another crash what is the verdict?
Do we abandon the Midway? :cry:
22GCT_Gross

Post by 22GCT_Gross » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:46 am

Yesterday a problem occurred on server.
It was a fault of mine.
Very sorry.
22GCT_Gross
www.22GCT.it
150GCT_Onda

Post by 150GCT_Onda » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:12 am

In my humble opinion, after Libya and Midway, is now certain that the problems do not reside in the client PC. there is no rule that links the client, even the most experienced of us that will surely follow hannoe installations and fixes in a timely manner.

To ensure continuity in Seow and avoid leaving many drivers, we should examine the server side, the maps, the latency of data transmission between client "European" (cable) and client "outside Europe" (via satellite) .

stop flying missions officers and open a season you beta test cotribuirebbe save the credibility of the system Seow multimappe that today represents a very important goal, and increasingly within reach thanks to the painstaking work of managers who manage to solve the problems only with the help of all and not locked in their PC to develop hypotheses.

Onda former 167MAV

a mio modesto parere, dopo Libya e Midway, è ormai certo che i problemi non risiedono nei pc client. non esiste una regola che accomuni i client, neanche dei più esperti di noi che sicuramente hannoe seguito le installazioni e le correzioni in maniera opportuna.

al fine di assicurare una continuità alla seow ed evitare che molti piloti abbandonino, sarebbe il caso di esaminare la parte server, le mappe, la latenza di trasmissione dati tra client "europei" (via cavo) e client "extraeuropei" (via satellite).

cessare di volare missioni ufficiali ed aprire una stagione ti beta test cotribuirebbe a salvare la credibilità del sistema seow multimappe che rappresenta ad oggi un obiettivo davvero importante e sempre di più a portata di mano grazie al lavoro incessante dei responsabili che riusciranno a risolvere i problemi solo con l'aiuto di tutti e non chiusi nei loro pc ad elaborare ipotesi.

Onda ex 167MAV
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:54 am

Hi Onda,

I don't think the SEOW multi-sector system has any problems with credibility with the Midway and Libya results. What we are seeing right now are problems with IL-2 running valid coops that make large demands on memory and other resources. That's all.

Cheers, and thanks for your post,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer
IAF.ViFF

Post by IAF.ViFF » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:30 am

Onda sorry but you are incorrect, the problem with the server on Thursday was not related to the IL2 host.
It was another program that was run in parallel that caused the crash.
Gross is handling the issue and will ensure it does not repeat.

S!
IAF.ViFF

http://www.preflight.us
Israel's Combat Flight Sim Community Center
6S.Maraz

Post by 6S.Maraz » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:55 am

167MAV_Onda wrote:In my humble opinion, after Libya and Midway, is now certain that the problems do not reside in the client PC.
Onda, some trusted people have made the test of replaying the Midway mission on their PC, in single player. The PC freezed also in this situation. So how can be a server's fault if the PC freezes in single player ??????

Ivan is working at these memory issues, we already have improved the situation, please be confident.

Maraz
6° Stormo Diavoli Rossi - "Oderint, dum metuant"

Return to “The Global Lounge, June 1942”