Night Rules

A genteel environment for discussing progress on the Peninsula, with Singapore Slings and cucumber sandwiches.
II/JG77Hawk_5

Night Rules

Post by II/JG77Hawk_5 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:14 am

Considering the late time of day and as I don't think the night rules have been discussed, will we proceed with a "standard" night rule(?) ie.

No fighters and only bombers, transports or dedicated night fighter types allowed.

Considering jungle conditions on Malay Peninsula at this time should ground movement be allowed? I'm inclined in this campaign to restrict if not halt movement during the night hours. It would just be black under a jungle canopy at night wouldn't it?

I like to think of troops digging in for the night and let naval and restricted air force operations continue during night hours.

It is only 18:00 Hrs and there is light until 20:00Hrs or so.
I suggest we go to night rules at 21:00Hrs through to 06:00Hrs (3 missions).

Cheers
Hawk 5
II/JG77Hawk 5
SEOW fanboy of dubious repute
IV/JG7_Warg

Post by IV/JG7_Warg » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:59 am

G'day folks,

Lets set some nocturnal rules before we kick the next mission in the guts. I've tried to base these rules on a logical and reasoned argument, as well as historical precedent.

Nocturnal Hours
These rules apply to the next mission starting at 21.00 till 06.00 the next morning? The three next missions of the campaign.

Nocturnal Ground
Nocturnal ground movement is only allowed for infantry and vehicle related class types, such as cars, trucks and engineers. Armoured cars, towed or carried artillery also fit within this class. Tanks and self-propelled guns are specifically excluded from moving. This simulates supply, repair, reinforcement and consolidation of support forces during the night. Armour is largered for the night, with crews repairing, resting and replenishing their AFV's for the next days operations. Historically, the Japanese operated their armour on one occasion (Battle of Slim River) in the Malaya campaign and whilst decisive for them, could quite easily went the other way. It was a rash decision as operations at night with reduced visibility, invites enemy infantry to close with satchel charges, ATR's, bazookas and the like with devastasting consquences.

Nocturnal Aerial

Bombers
Radar assisted control from the ground was non existent in the Singapore campaign. Nocturnal aerial bombing missions were used by both sides, as the hours of darkness offered protection against enemy fighters at the expense of bombing accuracy. In this, multi-crewed and engined aircraft, were selected, as they normally had the crew, capacity and range to overcome the navigational hazzards of flying at night. Factory targets in cities were the norm, as they were easier to spot and hit than other ground objects. Additional operations were generally on a smaller scale of a single or pair of aeroplanes in the night harrasment and intruder role. Both the Royal Navy (Taranto, 1940) and Imperial Japanese Navy (Coral Sea, 1942) have documented instances of conducting nocturnal attack sorties against the enemy.

Fighters
Without radar control, nightfighters operated singlary in a “catseye” role, with single seaters restricted to localised areas. In the Malaya campaign, the Royal Airforce had a dedicated nightfighter and longrange interdiction aircraft in the form of the Blenheim Mk.IF. There's an obscure reference to 253 Squadron using two Buffalos named "Black Beauty" and "Black Bess" in this role and Hurricanes were used at night during the Blitz of 1940/41. Nothing on Japanese nightfighters in this period, including fighter operations from carriers.

Single Seaters. A fighters pilot needs to concentrate on flying and has limited ablity to navigate. In this case, plots are confined to friendly territorty. Single flights of one aircraft, default armament only. Defending CAP. Restricted to the larger concrete bases of Dutch AF, Jahore AF and Tengah AF. Maximum of three fighters only (one at each base) and only if the workshop (factory) is servicable at that airbase. If this is destroyed, then the base cannot put up a single seat nightfighter flight. The Japanese have no single seater nightfighters. Examples: Buffalo Mk.I (B), Buffalo Mk.II (D) and Hurricane Mk.IIb trop.

2. Two Seaters. The second crew member assists in navigation in addition to his gunner and bombing duties. In this case, the plot is not limited to friendly territory and is allowed to attack ground targets. Intruder missions plotted into enemy territory allowed. Examples: Blenheim Mk.IF, C-47 Dakota, Ki-9, Ki-45, D3A Val, L2D and Tiger Moth Mk.II

3. Three Seaters. The third crew member is able to assist in "station keeping", maintaining a tally on friendly aircraft within his flight formation. In addition to lifting the restrictions on plotting and bombing as with two seat aircraft, three seaters may now be plotted and flown in two ship flight formations. Examples: B5N Kate, Blenheim Mk.I, Blenheim Mk.IV, Glen Martin 139H and Vilderbeast Mk.IV.

4. Four Seaters. Same as the three seaters but another crewmember ensures safer formation flying at night. These aircraft types can be plotted in three ship formations. No examples in this campaign.

5. Five + Seaters. Same as the four seaters, but even more crewmembers ensure even safer formation flying at night. These aircraft types can be plotted in four ship formations. Example: Ki-21-II Sally.

Yes, I know there are no Japanese night fighters, but thats just how it was. Anyway, the weather conditions look pretty horrible and you'll be hard pressed to intercept anything. That said, would prefer human flown nightfighters to minimise inherent AI advantages in these conditions.

Goodluck,
Warg
IV/JG7_Warg
Knight of the Order of the Golden Pelican
Blitz buzzard over Valletta
Swiper of the Slot
Pugwash in Penang
HSFX Goodwill Ambassador
Founding Director of Simian Solutions
Emoticon Exterminator
von Paulus and the Crickets
II/JG77Hawk_5

Post by II/JG77Hawk_5 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:35 am

Thanks Warg!!
II/JG77Hawk 5
SEOW fanboy of dubious repute
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:47 pm

Based on the last mission, I would be very hesitant to even try to fly once the sun has gone down. A jeep would probably be safest for me!

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer
IV/JG7_Warg

Post by IV/JG7_Warg » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:20 pm

Based on the last mission, I would be very hesitant to even try to fly once the sun has gone down. A jeep would probably be safest for me!

Cheers,
4S
Yes, forget about flying, my current projections indicate that I may need you to drive a fuel truck for the Emperor.

Regards,
Warg
IV/JG7_Warg
Knight of the Order of the Golden Pelican
Blitz buzzard over Valletta
Swiper of the Slot
Pugwash in Penang
HSFX Goodwill Ambassador
Founding Director of Simian Solutions
Emoticon Exterminator
von Paulus and the Crickets

Return to “The Peanut Lounge at the Raffles”