Funny facts

The general briefing room for the Marianas 1944 campaign. Open to all interested in this campaign. SEOW HQ standards of behaviour and courtesy apply.
EAF331_Starfire

Funny facts

Post by EAF331_Starfire » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:25 am

According to wikipedia, by July 1944, Kawanishi had produced 9x N1K2 Shiden-Kai and a prototype.
According to the statistics the Japanese have lost 17 aiframes by mission 11; almost twice as much as historical produced.

We are only in the first 1/3 of june 1944, not july :lol:
"Words that do not match deeds are unimportant."
“Silence is argument carried out by other means.”
- Ernesto "Che" Guevara
6S.Maraz

Re: Funny facts

Post by 6S.Maraz » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:34 am

EAF331_Starfire wrote:According to wikipedia, by July 1944, Kawanishi had produced 9x N1K2 Shiden-Kai and a prototype.
According to the statistics the Japanese have lost 17 aiframes by mission 11; almost twice as much as historical produced.

Even funnier is that few Allied fighters can sink a Japanese carrier. We are only in the first 1/3 of june 1944, not in Star Wars :lol:
6° Stormo Diavoli Rossi - "Oderint, dum metuant"
22GCT_Hollywood

Post by 22GCT_Hollywood » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:14 am

ah ah ah!!!
Salut!
IAF.ViFF

Post by IAF.ViFF » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:37 am

6S.Maraz wrote:
EAF331_Starfire wrote:According to wikipedia, by July 1944, Kawanishi had produced 9x N1K2 Shiden-Kai and a prototype.

Even funnier is that few Allied fighters can sink a Japanese carrier. We are only in the first 1/3 of june 1944, not in Star Wars :lol:

It will only be one more year and a single bomb from a single bomber will have the capability to erase from the face of the earth a whole city with all its inhabitants.

Pretty sobering the advances made in armaments' destructive power , eh?

S!
IAF.ViFF

http://www.preflight.us
Israel's Combat Flight Sim Community Center
EAF331_Starfire

Post by EAF331_Starfire » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:35 am

6S.Maraz wrote:

If you read the book Shattered Swords you will find that a single well placed bombs are all it takes. It is not the number of aircrafts, it is the number of well placed bombs. But I doubt that there are any difference between the damagemodels of the carriers.
According to my intel as a Allied pilot, all carrier sinkings was a result of multiple bombs by several different teams. When my team came in, most of the work was already done. Classic was just the man with the right number and I had the wrong (last number).

We also have the benefit of many more hours of training than the guys who where there and less fatigue :wink:

Airchair pilots :wink:
- Ernesto "Che" Guevara
Apollo_EAF331

Post by Apollo_EAF331 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:43 am

Took me forever to post this and I see that Starfire has already replied, but here it is anyway.:wink:

Not looking to start a fight or anything, but I can't sit by a watch my wingman take an unfair beating like this.
With regards to the N1K2, I like the fact that there are more of them for us to shoot down.:D It's a fun plane to fight and to fly as well. I hope the Axis pilots like them.

Concerning the amount of bombs to sink the Shōkaku.

This is taken from Wikipedia, so bear that in mind as to the correctness of the information. I couldn't and didn't have time to find another source.
Sōryū received three direct hits from 454 kg (1000 lb) bombs: one penetrated to the lower hangar deck, and the other two exploded in the upper hangar deck. The hangars contained armed and fueled aircraft preparing for the upcoming strike, resulting in secondary explosions. Within a very short time the fires on the ship were out of control. At 10:40 AM she stopped and her crew were taken off by the destroyers Isokaze and Hamakaze. Sōryū sank at 7:13 PM at position
WikiMiniAtlas
30°38′N 179°13′W
Don't know what the USN "fighters" hit the CV with last night. All I know is that it took 3x2000 lbs bombs from TBMs to sink the first CV a few missions ago. I will agree that in game the ships sink rather quick, but in the above quote the Sōryū was rendered unusable after 3x 1000 lbs bomb hits, so 3x 2000 lbs should definitely do the job. Seems to me the CAP lost the ball on this one.

Yes I know the Zuikaku took more bomb hits and some torps as well when she was sunk. But I do not know what type of bombs that hit her and where they hit.

Cheers and looking forward to the next mission.
Cipson

Post by Cipson » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:15 am

Well Gentlemen,

with enormous sacrifice of our pilots and wasting our bomber force, in a spectacular action, we hit the "Essex" with Torpedos and Bombs for a total of 2400 Kg of explosives and the Carrier is still alive.

Frankly speaking is difficult that we can do better than this...

Therefore your comments appear a little bit out of place... :wink:

Cheers

Cip
ITALIAN WINGS. L'UNIONE FA LA FORZA! www.italianwing.it
EAF331_Starfire

Post by EAF331_Starfire » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:03 pm

6S.Cipson wrote:Well Gentlemen,

with enormous sacrifice of our pilots and wasting our bomber force, in a spectacular action, we hit the "Essex" with Torpedos and Bombs for a total of 2400 Kg of explosives and the Carrier is still alive.

Frankly speaking is difficult that we can do better than this...

Therefore your comments appear a little bit out of place... :wink:

Cheers

Cip
I am sorry. I did not intent on stepping on anyones toes.
- Ernesto "Che" Guevara
22GCT_Hollywood

Post by 22GCT_Hollywood » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:21 pm

... :?
Last edited by 22GCT_Hollywood on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Salut!
_1SMV_Mako

Post by _1SMV_Mako » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:21 pm

As usual, in spite of the hard work of the administrators, there are always a lot of funny things around, besides those mentioned above.
Starting to mention them would cause a search for the full list of funny things, and then a general and long laugh.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I keep suggesting, for SEOW Campaigns, the creation of a "steering committee", with the task of coordinating this kind of things...
:wink:
_1SMV_Mako
Cipson

Post by Cipson » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:49 am

_1SMV_Mako wrote:As usual, in spite of the hard work of the administrators, there are always a lot of funny things around, besides those mentioned above.
Starting to mention them would cause a search for the full list of funny things, and then a general and long laugh.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I keep suggesting, for SEOW Campaigns, the creation of a "steering committee", with the task of coordinating this kind of things...
:wink:

This is a real good suggestion.

Notwithstanding the great job of the Mod Developing Team (Thanks Guys!), which rendered Il-2 the best WWII simulator on market, there are a lot of aspects not still optimised.
Naval warfare for sure is still at original stage and would need a lot of attention.

Just for give you an example I tested the dive attack to a Lex class Carrier and are necessary 8 "well placed" 500 kg bombs on bridge for sinking it, this means 4000 kg of explosives at least.

No way to sink it with a "lucky Hit" in some part of the ship, as in reality happened, also if, considering all events, it was for really few unlucky cases, in anycase for complementary reasons (fire, fuel etc) not for a single explosion shot, the effects of which were frequently quickly repaired.

The same use of certain aircraft is out of reality:

Avenger used in dive attack. Due to the weight in reality, there was not any possibility to exit from the dive without lose the wings.
Corsair used against Carriers. Never happened, Corsair was great for tactical support on ground, eventually used with rockets against small ships, but never for naval warfare.
Zero with bombs in dive. No technically possible, due to lack of releasing system the bombs would have damaged the propeller and so on...

Last but not least the AA Fire is really unrealistic.
In reality it was very difficult for a single aircraft to arrive near a Carrier without be damaged.
When I made the test, I flyed for ten time over the Carrier and I ended the job with only few holes on my wings, therefore any refer to the Hystory is purely indicative.

Still a lot of work to have what we search... :wink:
ITALIAN WINGS. L'UNIONE FA LA FORZA! www.italianwing.it

Return to “Marianas Briefing Room”