To all of the brave IL-2 Pilots, this is your story

This room is where those who will participate in the "FUF: KZBK Stations" campaign, Kiev Sector, can assemble, share information and discuss the design and development of this SEOW HQ campaign.
JG26_Scannon

To all of the brave IL-2 Pilots, this is your story

Post by JG26_Scannon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:10 pm

Last edited by JG26_Scannon on Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JG26_Scannon

Post by JG26_Scannon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:14 pm

JG26_Scannon

Post by JG26_Scannon » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:40 pm

Part 12

Well, 1943 is here. what is it going to bring us? December 31st brought some great news: Captain Sherbakov came back alive! During the attack AA shell damaged the engine bad.... After strong impact he lost his consciousness. For six days we didn't know anything about him... but now he's back and in the hospital. So, from 5 that we lost in the last days of 1942....3 came back.
The weather on the last day of 1942 was pretty bad and only two wings went on the mission.
Celebration of the new year went badly. Most of us got really drunk and nobody danced. All the girls are living in one house, so amount of people there was great.
Yesterday the weather was bad again but despite that fact our division flew 15 planes on the mission. Clouds are low, only 100m and snowing. My engine died on take off and I had to stay home.

Bad weather still in effect and we are hoping for 1000m clouds ceiling and visibility of 1 - 2 kilometers. Sometimes we have to land during a snowstorm with visibility up to 500 meters making multiple passes over our 200m wide runway. Before the war nobody would even think of flying in such conditions.
Konuchov's engine caught fire on take off and he had to land on the fuselage near airbase.What can we do?! At the factories planes are made by a principal; Lets Go! Lets Go!!! Nedless to say that many teenagers are working on production lines.
Poletaev during a landing in the bad weather missed the landing strip and almost flipped over.... he got lucky, only bent the prop. Stikov, while landing approach did not see the plane that was taking off and almost at the last second noticed it coming.....only miracle saved the those two from death.... planes passed each other only damaging the wings.
Today I've met old friend Deryabin... I went to school together with him back in Engels. He told me that he was in Finland and completed 20 missions in a I-153... but from constant stress he lost his sight and crashed 3 planes because of it. Now he is a commisioner of a squadron and doesn't fly anymore.
I've decided to send Grunia two of my paychecks not through Luberzi, but directly to Asia.
JG26_Scannon

Post by JG26_Scannon » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:04 pm

Part 13;
I didn‘t write anything for a long time. Last 6 days i was absent from home. Since
New bad 1uck was following me. January 1 i interrupted my take off because of the
engine failure. Second time — water started to boi1 on the take off- again, i did
not fly. On January 5th i was assigned to the group of 9 or ground attack mission
and everything was normal.... But on approach to the target south of velikie Luki
over the German territory my motor started to shake. Sturmovik started losing
altitude. I pushed the triggers, dumped al1 my bombs and turned back towards our
territory. My situation was serious. Lower c1ouds were at on1y 200 meters...and in
addition one of the valves of the cy1inder snapped off. Usual1y things like that
result fire. Right exhaust was spilling out white smoke and oi1 was burning. Plane
was losing its speed and altitude. So far i passed 25 ki1ometers. Sound of the
engine was getting worse and worse. I kept looking for the place where i could land
my crippled bird...but there was nothing i could lay my eyes on. Hills, gaps, woods.
Right before the ground valve cover exploded and oil covered cockpit...i could not
see forward at all and had to open side window. Plane at this point was out of
control... it caught ground with the prop and the wing and went down. Impact was
rather strong and i hurt my chest hitting the controls. It was my second landing in
the field.. on a fuselage. The first was on the fourth Mission. The second was on the 24th.
Speed of my crash landing was near 200 km / hour. I got out of the cockpit...my hands
and legs were shaking. IL2 was completely covered with oil and its fuselage almost
broken in half. Left part of the tail was heavily damaged... And I am alive and
in one piece. Few minutes later motorcycle has arrived with other pilot that was
shot down. He was attacked by a fighter which shot him down...but ended in the front
of his IL2. Our pilots reacted promptly by pressing all triggers and taking the German
apart.
Later on car took me to the hospital when some nice nurses gave me some vodka and i
fell asleep. I needed some time to recover from impact and shock. Nobody even asked for my documents.
JG26_Scannon

Post by JG26_Scannon » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:59 am

Just by looking at my cloth they could tell who I really was.
Spent 4 days in the hospital. On 5th i sent the telegram to my regiment, but for
whatever reason they did not receive it. On January 9th left the village
Fedoricha and reached Toropetz by a car. Spent the night there and in the morning jumped on the freight train that was heading to Andreapoi. From there i sent another telegram requesting U—2 to pick me up _ _
On January 11 Michamchenko has arrived to pick me up and i was home on the very same evening. He informed me about results of our mission on January 5th, when we attacked Opyxliki. The regiments have met a storm of AAA fire and later on enemy fighters showed up. From our division 14 planes did not come back home. Some were found later, but more than half is still missing. Including two of our pilots - Piseev and Konuchov. Piseev was shut down three times before this one. When are we going to get use to it? Our friends getting killed every day...like this is the way it has to be...
Two regiments of our division are being pulled back for a break and rearrangements."

Part 14
Our regiment was pulled out of the action as well...we are going to get some rest, reform and go back into action. Two remaining squadrons will be rearranged and thrird one will be added. Now we are back to Rudnikovo, same one that we left 1 month ago. I arrived on U—2 with Cherbakov and we occupied our old apartment in the village Goiubki. Everyone is happy to see us, they accept us like relatives.
Maria, daugther of the house owner, is especially happy. Preparing alchohol and all other things because our group will arrive in 2-3 days and we will all gather here. Two other regiments are based in the same neighbourhood. Yesterday we celebrated our New year at the village. Many girls from whole neighbourhood all dressed up, dancing, laughs, jokes. I laughed and had a good time, but thoughts about my fallen comrades would not let me go.
Wife of Semen Gurtovenko with the child is living in Dzhizak. I guess she already
received a package with his belongings... probably crying, but nothing could be done at this point...he‘s gone. War is collecting its toll. In the first round Semen was the commander of 3rd flight, me and Peievin were under his command. They were lost in action and only me, Shtikov, Cherbakov and Poletaev are still alive.
So, after three rounds, last one near velikie Luki) there were commander of the
regiment Kovshikov, navigator Bochko, commanders of squadrons Shtikov, Cherbakov, me, Smigol, Poletaev. Just 7 of us.
Last mission took place in area of Velikie Luki. And now we are taking a break untill January 28th.
The Captain Shtikov is in second place by missions flown, right after Poletaev.
They have become a very close friends and frequently flew together. 1st Lieutenant Shejnin was promoted to the commander of the fiight. Michamchenko and Koziov to senior pilots. Cherbakov wasn‘t that lucky....in the first round he only made 3 missions, was wounded and did not fly any more. In the second round he was shot down again. I didn‘t have much luck either in last round...flew on1y 11 missions, while Poletaev flew 20.
Nikogaev already made Lieutenant. Have was awarded with an award of Patriotic war, 1st degree. In Andapoi I spend only one day at the hospital. Heard stories of wounded pilots, who were shot down by ME109. Both have jumped out with parachutes low, only 200 meters altitude..that was the last chance for them to survive. One of the crew landed in a neutral zone and it didn‘t take long before germans opened fire and wounded his leg with an explosive bullet, but lucky for him the bone was not touched. The second guy has landed successfully. First lieutenant told us another story: they were going in group of four when flight of 109’s intercepted them.
JG26_Scannon

Post by JG26_Scannon » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:17 pm

When he looked back, three planes from his flight were gone...and only throwing a plane in the tight turn saved his life. Germans attack in pairs and shoot one after another. They penetrated fuel tank in the back and engine caught fire. He tried to open cockpit, but sliding top was jammed. At this time one of German fighters overshot him and ended up in the front of burning plane and in the split second pilot managed to aim and fire all arsenal at messershmidt. Nazi went down and our hero crashlanded his plane on the neutral zone, right on the mine field...but didn`t blow up. Sappers have appeared just in time, dragged him out and gave him an award of german pilot that he shot down few minutes ago: an iron cross with swords. It belong to Luftwaffe ace lieutenant Haga Joseph , date of birth. 1921.

Station Opuhliki was protected by great amount of artillery and fighters, which were taking off from the lake near by. Pilots would sit in the cockpits and wait till IL2`s will show up...and then messershmidts would take off in great numbers, all at once fly up... Our fighters, which sometimes were covering us, were often afraid to go over german territory on low altitude and were coming up with different reason to avoid that.

Just sent nice letter to Grunia, can`t wait for my salary so i could send her some money as well.

I am bored...nothing to write about... 3rd tour have not started yet, maybe then...
I heard some rumors that command is planning to promote me to the second in command of the squadron.
Sometimes i play cards, or listening music...but mostly i read...finished Chingiz-Chan, Suvorov....tons of newspapers.

I got an offer to go in the recovery center at Torzhok for 10-15 days...maybe not a bad idea.
Our regiment is getting new planes and pilots...instead of those that we lost in action. Third squadron should be added soon and looks like i am going to be a second commander there,. instead of my friend Gurtovenko.

Today we are going to Kuibyshev and will get some new planes. I will go next time, besides i have to stop by Luberzi and leave this note-book.

My dear friend Semen! How often my fallen friends are coming to my mind. I can`t believe this...Is this possible that so many dead? There is an aviation for you...no wounded...mostly dead.

Recently in a dining room I`ve met an engineer Stroganov. He told me that my school mate Sasha Loscutov was killed in action (He flew PE-2). He also told me that two of my other friends were working as instructors on R-5 at Chakalov`s school. But where are they now he did not know.

We all gathered together in the area near Torzhok.

We are not getting paid. I`m already in debt of 1300 rubles. I have to send something to Grunia, she still did not receive my 1900 rubles that i sent previously...probably never will.

It`s been a year since i saw Grunia last time...maybe god will be on my side and i will get a chance to see her again and will give us a chance to test our feelings.

When we were departing from Batali on U-2, sergeant Jakovlev did not warm up the engine before take off...plane chocked and crashed at the end of runway. I remember the same thing happened to me back in Novosibirsk.

Here`s my "route" for the past few weeks: December 10th was in Golubevo; December 27th - in Mashutino; January 6th - near Velikie Luki; January 11th - in Àndeapol and January 19th - again in Golubevo. Where will be my next stop?

Yesterday, five our pilots received awards: Sheinin, Poletaev, Kozlov, Shmigaland Michalichenko - all got the Red Star. 2nd sergeant Nina Simonenko received a medal " For courage ". Very well deserved medal, she works really hard. Mechanics of the Shtikov`s plane and two other technicians received the same medals. It was the first time when technicians in our regiment were awarded with medals. In the second round i only flew 11 missions... Under Velikie Luki only two, and there many pilots were lost, i guess that`s why i am still alive.

Bochko already made a major. He mastered butt kissing techniques with superiors and it`s like a part of life for him. Pilots have a pretty bad opinion about him. But i have to say that he still flies on the missions, it`s a plus. His principle on the war: move up to ladder faster and away from positions where he has to fly on the missions.

We already not getting paid for 3 months. I had to leave power of attorney to Danilov, so when we get payed he will send money to Grunia. If i didn`t have to send money to her every time...i wouldn`t need salary, there was nowhere to spend it anyway.

Tomorrow we`ll go to Kuibyshev for more planes. That would be out third trip down there.
My dear Grunia! If these diaries will get in your hands, please rewrite them, make a copy and show it to your children. Keep then as a reminder of me. I did not want to cause any trouble for youl, simply was young, silly and inexperienced.

I wrote quiet a lot for one year of war. And only the truth. I just wanted for you to learn something about this war, and, probably someone else will read this.
I am leaving you two photographs of those who already gave their lifes for motherland. Remember us."

I am at Luberzi, visiting Zaitseva. From airbase in Kalinin i got here on the open-top truck...almost froze up to death....traveling for almost five hours. In Kalinin i saw a crago train with captured germans..about 300 of them. Funny, there were no guards, germans were so happy to be alive that didn`t even bother to run.

I am sleeping in bed that belonged to Grunia... Third time in Luberzi....i wish Grunia was here...

5.02.43. We received a new planes and took off towards Kuibyshevs - Kuznetsk - Morshano - Dyagilevo - Gorochino where we were staying till June. In Gorochino i joined with 671-st assault regiment. General Gromov handed over to us a Guards banner and regiment was renamed into 90-th Guards asault regiment (SAP (Sturmovoi Avia Polk)). Since then I was carrying a badge "Guards" and received 50% raise of my salary.

Thats where i`v met Beregovoi ( future astronaut ) , we were in the same squadron. He was assistant of the commander and i was commander of the flight(4 planes). Georgiy Beregovoi was on the war from the very beginning.
In Rudnikovo Beregovoi almost got killed on landing. When he landed and was taxing down the runway his plane suddenly pointed its nose up. What happened? He looked back: the fuselage detached from the plane all the way to the cockpit . It is still a big mystery to me why it didn`t fall off in flight...because stress on the fuselage is much greater in the air than on the ground.

In Gorochino we were preparing for the next operation, flew in the area of the future offencive, practiced flying in formation, bombed targets, shoot guns and machine guns.
The engine on Bocharoshvili`s plane stopped during one of the practice flight with bombing. He had no other choice but to make crashlanding in the middle thick pine forest.. plane started snapping off the trees and it`s pilot got thrown out cockpit. Pilot survived with minor bumps and bruises. Armored structures of IL2 once again saved him from death.

1.06.43. We took off from Rudnikovo towards Ryazh. That`s how we were transfered from Kalininskiy front to Stepnoi. Our division is part of the corp that is under command of legendary Kamanin, the rescuer of our heroes - cheljuskintsev.

We were included in structure of reserve front: massive offensive near Kursk was in the works. Our regiment consist three squadrons of 10 planes plus the plane of the commander of our regiment and the navigator`s plane. Only 32 planes. In our corp 2 assault divisions (IL-2`s) and one fighter division. In total about 220 planes. In airbase Talovaja we mostly performed various training flights.

**Because of idiot Golovanov who didn`t deliver my notes whatever i wrote for almost 6 months they disappeared...**

From Tavlova we were relocated under village Svinopogorelovo, that is to the east of Oboyan. Our airbase is a narrow strip between highway and railway. Rather rough. Germans are pushing hard near Belgorod and already advanced to the north on 35 kilometers into our defense.

Once, during flight behind front lines german fighter aattacked Beregovoi`s plane, who was going last and set him on fire. Georgiy flew burning as much as he could...then jumped out with a parachute. He landed on neutral zone between ours and Germans. Our infantry had a hard time during rescue. After returning back to the regiment he gave me a slice of a parachute - for handkerchief.
Prior to Kursk offensive I flew over the battlefield are on U-2 quiet often. Especially near Prokhorovka

Today massive offensive on Kursk has begun . Our airbase is located in 10 kilometers from the front line. Massive artillery barrage started in the morning...we saw black clouds of a smoke on horizon. This day i spend in the air almost 3 hrs completing 3 missions. In the first mission there was a great amount of Sturmoviks that formed a huge circle around a target and were pounding front german forces. We made two passes. On the next day german defense lines crumbled and they started pulling back. We were attacking columns of tanks, trucks, infantry, blowing them out of the woods and ravines. Our squadron commander capt. Rebizov before the war was TB-3 pilot (crew of 5). He never figured out how to navigate in IL - 2, and in one of the flights got us on 20 kilometers into German territory. There we spotted great amount of German armor and infantry. Excellent targets, all we had to do is attack! But he was going further into German territory. Here we got surrounded by black mushrooms - German 76mm shells started exploding near us. Rebizov started to turn towards our territory and our group stretched out. At this time two ME109s appeared behind me...i was leading the last pair of six. Had to turn left under protection of rear gunners of the planes ahead of me.

On the future missions Rebizov was smart and cheated a bit. When we would fly off the base on the distance of 20-30km he would say on the radio "Georgiy, take a lead" and Beregovoi would lead the group while Rebizov would fly just a regular pilot.

During our offensive in August i flew 20 combat missions. Great stress! When our ground forces pushed Germans had enough and they started to run many targets became relatively easy for us. We attacked truck columns, separate cars on the roads. It was necessary destroy retreating infantry, artillery and even tanks. But our weapons are hardly any danger for tanks. Guns, machine guns and rockets are not that much of the problem for them.

German fighters got smarter...when they attack IL2 formations they are considering behavior of our pilots. If group falls apart, someone wonders behind the group, making unneccessary turns ...basically becomes nervous...nazis become unstoppable, they will plow their way thru.

Our new airbase is located on the farm field and we are living in the barns. besides of our 90th Guards on this base located 91-st SAP. It is area Ahtyrki and Bogoduchova germans gathered significant forces, including a lot of planes. German counteroffensive started here. In the morning we got orders to fly deep into german territory and see what`s going on down there. On the approach to the front line we spotted large group of bombers JU-88 that were dropping their bombs on some target from 2500-3000. They dropped the bombs from one pass and started turning home in the very extended formation. Suddenly tracers flew near my plane...i looked around and noticed a bomber which was flying 400m below us.. the gunner was fooling around.

Further we met group of JU-87`s that formed a big circle in the target area and were ready for bombing. We opened fire in their direction...scattering them but nobody was shot down. The results of our flight were passed over to command and later on group of 6 planes was ready for takeoff. As per our regiment commander Beregovoi was leading them. One hour later only two planes out of those 6 returned home. They were attacked by fighters, obviously experts and that cost us lives of 4 pilots and 3 gunner. One of the gunners on those 4 planes survived.

An IL2 of second lieutenant Balabanova got hit and set on fire...he managed to crashland but could not open canopy, one of the shells jammed it. Has was burned alive. Rebizov was killed with his gunner along with two other crews.
Beregovoi is afraid of fighters more than AAA...while me is complete opposite.

Half an hour later commander of the 2nd squadron from 91`st SAP led group of six on the mission. He made a mistake and they end up near german airfield where all of them got shot down. Only 1 out of 6 planes..with the dead gunner, burning...managed to land on our territory. I saw pilot at the hospital. All burned up...his face was like scary black mask.

As a sad result.. 10 planes and 18 people from two regiments (90th, 91st) were lost because of mistakes of our leaders.

After a short break our next objective is Ukraine. Our command is preparing a plan for attack and taking over the capital of Ukraine...Kiev. We had some training missions along with the combat ones. Today weather was pretty bad but our regiment managed to complete 22 missions. I flew two missions. There are already 55 on my record.
When IL2 came to service it was planned to award their pilots for 30 combat missions with Gold Star - Hero Of Soviet Union. But later it was increased to 80 mission... well...with Kamanin as corp commander we will never get awarded...even for 200.

In the second mission we lost Michael Masunin. The first flight of six was under command of Kuzin... second - under mine. Michael was to the right and behind me. Before take off he was very excited that he will be in this flight. We approached target at low altitude - 300 meters. Everything that could fire...was firing at us. Right in the target area above the Dnepr (river) the termite shell hit the oil cooler on his plane and whole IL2 was set on fire and flipped over. Some pilots saw that both crew member jumped out.. one of them was burning. That was the last time anyone seen them...more likely they died. Bad luck is following our squadron.

Germans forcefully transported entire population of village -300 people to Germany...as a work force . That`s where we live now...empty.

October 30th...finally i received a letter from my father. Donbass was free and my parents started to live somewhat normally....but my sister was taken to Germany as a work force. my poor Polina...

Today we were successfull, missions accomplished and everyone is alive. Fight for Kiev has begun.
Today i flew once on the Dnepr (river), also our regiment completed 3 missions to the north of Kiev. Saw the city under my plane, and some of our guys flew really low over Krechatik (main blvd. in Kiev). Nazis are crying from our IL2`s! We sure giving them hell! Antiaircraft artillery is not hitting us...i guess we finally figure out how to manuever and avoid AAA fire.

Our leading group was intercepted by FW190`s and following group by ME-109s. One of ours was shot down but managed to make it home. Sergei Koreshkov, he was POW and broke out....came back recently and it was his first mission. Good thing that he made it home on the crippled plane.

One pilot...an idiot...forgot to release the gear on landing and landed on fuselage....but other than that it was a good day.

Today our regiment flew 50 missions...lost 2 planes but everybody is alive. . It`s going to be a hot day at work tomorrow. Our armies have advanced to Kiev, massive offensive on the right coast of Dnepr.

The weather is horrible...we grounded. But our ground forces are still advancing.

Our regiment only flew 4 missions today... The weather is still very bad. Thick clouds at 400-600 meters. On the second mission we spend about 10 minutes over german territory. Because of intensive AAA fire i had to climb back in the clouds quiet often. Besides that FW190 tried to attack me 4 times. Later on i counted 5 bullet holes. I heard that gunner Ananiev , one that jumped out of the burning IL2, managed to shoot down ME109.

We lost one pilot in this mission... Nereba. Also one of LA-5`s that was covering us was shot down by AAA fire and plunged into the ground on their side.

Germans are running from Kiev, there are a lot of cars, trucks and tanks on the roads leading to Zhitomir.
Whole city is on fire. Our tanks completely surrounded germans and within 1 or 2 days Kiev will be ours!
On the last mission for today we could only gather 5 planes...other 24 are either damaged or just not ready to fly. But even with this small group we gave germans alot of headaches....they were running pretty good.

I couldn`t write anything yesterday...was kind of drunk and went to bed at 11pm.

And on November 6th couple of interesting events. First, Anatoly Balandin returned to his 92-nd Guards Regiment... alive, healthy and already scheduled on the mission.. He was shot down and jumped out near Kharkov on the German side. Anatoliy escaped german troops...but his gunner was captured. Balandin is a good man, very young, but already has more than 90 combat missions, a record in our division. People were saying that we will be awarded with a Gold Star very soon.

And second, in the morning we were informed that Kiev was taken by Red Army!

From now on our division is renamed to " 4th Kiev`s Guards assault aviation division". In 91-st Guards on November 5th in one mission 4 crews were lost. On the way back home they were attacked by german fighters.

Even though we thought that we were going to be here for a while....it looks like pretty soon our regiments will fly off closer to front lines.
I`ve received an official message "Thank you” letter from the commander of our regiment ... the occasion is upcoming holiday of October Revolution. He also notified me that documents for awarding me with the Red Banner were sent out.

And another big pleasure..Second Lt. Skvorzov came back from captivity. He was shot down near Belgorod on August 8th. He landed on a parachute right on the German AAA unit. And 3 months later he returned.

Skvorzov was captued with his gunner and together they were taken to Kharkov and from there by plane to Dnepropetrovsk. Twice he was called in for interrogations. Nobody beat him up or anything like that...just were asking to fly on their side...he refused. Rather die or be POW then that. Russian officers were not forced to work. Later, 60 soviet pilots were shipped by cargo train to Germany. Near Krivoi Rog or Dolinskiy in the middle of the night Svorzov have managed to open the window - hatch and jump off the moving train. There were other adventures on his way to the regiment.

People were saying that germans use to drop bunch of paper from the planes that were saying: " Russian pilots deserve bacon, and AAA gunners - just a straw ".

Yesterday we arranged a little celebration. We found some home-made vodka and whole squadron took a good shot at it before dinner. Later on during the evening hours we were granted with 200gr of vodka. Half of my normal dose. I had no choice but add some home-made one into the mix. But even with all this drinking we never had a case of drunk pilots taking off on the missions. We are careful. War ruins people in many ways. God, how much vodka and other home made alkohol i already consumed!

Pilot of 92nd regiment, Konstantin Piseev was lost in action today. German shell hit his plane and IL2 plunged into the ground. Konstantin was an old fighter, He was at war since Rzhev. And now his live has ended...near Kiev.
We haven`t heard anything about Monahin and Netrebe for a while. Probably they were killed. If they are...it means our squadron already lost 9 pilots. From an "Old crew" only me, Beregovoi and Pryazhennikov remained alive.

Yesterday i received letter from Grunia...poor thing, she was sick for a while now. Obviously having a hard time to get by, had to sell her watch. But she is so silly, still did not give me an address. I cannot send any money to her. There were times when i was sending 2000 roubles anywhere, hoping that they will find her. For some reason she did not want to accept my help.

Today i saw pretty good movie - " National avengers ".
Monahin came back yesterday, alive. . Engine on his IL2 died near Kiev and he made an attempt to land near Brovari (to the east of Kiev , approx. 20 km), but couldn`t make it there...instead crashed into the woods. Plane was destroyed and pilot got some injuries, but still alive.
Rear gunner Chelokov was wounded when they were in the air...bullet went thru his neck. Monachin asked him to jump out over Kiev ..but Chelokov couldn`t move. When they crashed into the woods he received a brain concussion and died.

Yesterday, one of our newcomers..Molodchikov was showing off on landing ...but forgot to release chassis on time and belly landed plane.. damaging it.
Saw my old friend Kozlov. He was shot down near Belgorod and lost his left eye. We gave each other a hug. Whatever happened to Netrebe is still unknown.
On November 2nd i sent my parents 3000 roubles in cash and money order on another 1500 roubles.

Yesterday our ground forces took over Zhitomir. That meant that our offencive got into german lines of defence on approximately 140 kms deep.

Our commanders are going on vacation...but it doesn`t mean that us, regular soldiers, will get the same privelage.
The day before yesterday i sent Grunia a letter three pages long. Kind of rude, oh well: it will work better on her.
Had to glasses of vodka at night..hmm no impact on me... i guess i became very strong where it comes to vodka.. it doesn`t have as much influence on me...which is rather scary.

Received a letter from my dad. He notified me that my brother Grigoriy is still alive and well.
Yesterday i flew only one mission because of weather. Clouds at 400-500 meters. It was a tough flight, i left target area hiding in the clouds. On the way back flew over Kiev, it was a pleasure to see that city is coming to life...saw some flea-markets being open.
Today 92-nd regiment lost 2 pilots...Bobrov and Sevrchkov. The were flying alone. Sverchkov - a very skilled pilot and i am wondering what could happened to him? I guess he was attacked by FW190`s.

The day before yesterday one of the technicians forgot to remove the pillow on Bedzhiev`s plane from the tunnel that leads to the water radiator. The engine started to overheat in flight and steam filled up the cockpit. Bdezhiev dropped the bombs and began to search for our airbase. Because of the steam he couldn`t see anything and landed in the field...as a result..plane was destroyed.

From our regiment only 6 planes could take off on the mission...others were in repairs

The day before yesterday i visited 92-nd GSAP I flew with them entire year. It was their second anniversary. Celebration went well, but not as good as ours. The main purpose of my visit was to meet my comrades. Now Michailichenko who was under my command near Rzhev and was sergeant back then became the assistant to the commander of the squadron... instead of fallen Piseev.

On November 22nd Kovalenko was killed: his plane was set on fire and he crashed into the ground. I heard that his gunner Samilin managed to jump out over our territory. Their losses increased lately.

Saw Shtikov, our "Dad".. my tutor: already made the major (about time!), he is a navigator of 92nd GSAP. We had a good , warm conversation.

Poletaev started to lose respect. That`s his own fault...shouldn`t be kissing superiors butts as much and forget who he really is .

Sharaya was shot down by enemy fighters: landed on our territory safe..but without his gunner (Lapshin). Where did he go? Maybe bailed out?

Germans took Zhitomir back and started advancing on Kiev. I heard that german command allocated 600 planes and about 1000 tanks for counter-offensive

I am looking at the photograph of Shtikov`s squadron from 1942 ...Kalininskiy front. From 10 people on the photo (8 pilots, komissar and the engineer) only three survived.
Currently we are not flying..our airbase is a mess...mud and water. Autumn in Ukraine is bad for the aircraft. On this day i completed 64 missions.

There is no letters coming my way..not much to do..except having a drink.

Pilot Soshnin attempting to land in the field with gear down but flipped over and ended up hanging off the safety belts... choked to death.

First snow at night... i guess winter has began. Since November 22nd and untill now we did not fly. Bad weather, muddy. Germans pushed our divisions all the way to Kiev. Now our main goal is to stop the german offensive.

There are two guys from Spain in the regiment that covers our regiment: Prieto and Uribe. They are from the group that arrived to us in 1937. They are awarded not once...and already taught our pilots how to sing and speak some spanish. When everybody gets drunk in the evening, they usually begin to sing.

Recently i finished reading a book written by Pisemskiy.. 750 pages. Good, realistic stuff about life in general and a life of landowners and peasants back in imperial times. Also reading read magazine "Banner", 200 pages.
Still no letter from anybody else but my dad . Life here is boring. No entertainment of any kind. Before dinner we usually drink home-made vodka.

Tomorrow we are planning a celebration dinner in honour of "Day Of Constitution" . Only pilots will be there, nobody else.

Pretty soon we will be all gathered together at the conference of our division and fighters regiment. I will see my boys. I really miss them. Friendship on the war is very strong. And all pilots among themselves are close as relatives. They all hate those who`s riding on their shoulders. Suffering makes people closer than ever.

In battalions of the airfield services, for example, you can meet men healthy as bulls, they all got "married" and they "are at war". Pilots are calling them freeloaders...right in the face. Consider, each commander BAO (battalions of the airfield services) has PPZ (wife for period of war).

December 5th, is the Day of Constitution. Our regiments along with fighters regiment all gathered together for "officers only" evening. From us - me, from others - major Veselov were organizers of this event. Everything went well, without fights and scandals.

The Former navigator of our regiment major Zinoviev became the commander of 91-st Guards SAP, and lieutenant colonel Levadnyj is appointed the post of assistant to the commander of 264-th division. Zinoviev got lucky, he never had any positions below the navigator in our regiment, meaning he didn`t have to fly as much. Even that he had less than 30 fighting starts - was always afraid of missions. The navigator of our regiment will be captain Kuzin and commander of 1-st squadron - Koreshkov.

The weather is still pretty bad. Germans fly "by one" - hunters and throw bombs with the delayed detonators.

Yesterday i flew in pair with Korsakov. Dropped our bombs on german trenches and tanks. The cloud height was no more than 250 meters.We took off from airbase in Nedra and attacked german postions south east of Fastov . Koreshkov and Soshnikov were the second wing in that flight.
Germans pushing our armies from the south, and now they started to advance from the west towards Kiev, only 60km left to the capital of Ukraine.

Yesterday my rear gunner Marushkin was awarded with the order "Patriotic War, II degree", earlier he was awarded with "Red Star". Am going to receive an award too, third one.

Today the weather finally improved. Our regiment flew two missions. I was flying the second one. First group was led by the commander of my squadron Beregovoi. After attack he lowered the throttle hoping that his group will catch up, but they overshot him and he ended up far behind this flight. FW190`s didn`t wait long and ambushed him...lucky for Beregovoi he escaped alive...i can say almost in 1 piece: German fighter punched the hole in the wheel and damaged the chassis. Our fighter cover tight up FW`s and Beregovoi flew away from the battle. The commander of the fighter squadron lost his wingman (One of Spanish boys) and soon was shot down. He attempted to land in the field but 2 FW`s were following him and probably finished him off. What a pity, Granichkin such a good guy, He was at war for a long time. Was he really lost?

Today one of the young pilots almost rammed my plane - it was his first combat mission.

It happened! Strelchenko went on the mission drunk...was shot down and killed.

Today we flew 2 missions, target: Grebenki. I was leading the flight of 4 in the morning. Near the target at the height of 200m we were attacked by 2 FW`s. Looks like they were sitting at a reserve airfield waiting for us. Fw`s approched from behind low and started firing at the last two planes. One lost piece of aileron and part of the rudder. Also rear gunner was wounded in a leg . Pilot Koligin promptly went under my plane and came up in the front of me. Averyanov who was behind me to the right took heavy beating as well by second fighter, rear gunner Sentebov was wounded. He started to turn towards clouds but FW caught up with him and badly damaged fuselage on his IL2. To tell the truth, he was really close to death...hanging by hair...but came back home and landed. That was 5th mission for Averyanov.

68-th mission. First time i am leading the group of 6 by myself. Six crews, 12 lives. Flew over Gribenki fighting with german fighters. I am experiencing the most unpleasant feelings all the way to the moment where we turn back home, to our territory. On approach to the target i am even more afraid of their fighters. Complete opposite on the way back. That`s where i am experiencing rage of the fight...especially if german fighter appears in front of my plane.

The weather was clear, all the way up to front lines but enemy territory under clouds at 400-500 meters. I led my group above the clouds in the target area. Thickness of the layer - 100-200 meters. Bomb load 100 kg, with instant detonators. Minimum altitude where we can release this bombs is 300m. Above Gribenki i went thru the clouds and dropped my "cargo", made few passes shooting infantry and houses. Reserved airfield where germans keep their fighters is 5-7km to the north of Gribenki...almost every group of IL2`s has been intercepted. Today we flew right over it. Fighters were taking off and attacking us right away. Some of them didn`t have time to bring up the gear. IL2 on my left was attacked twice. Both wheels were shot to pieces. My right assistant Kolomiyzev has moved forward. ME-109 got on his tail and opened fire. Right at this moment i opened fire from all available weapons. German broke off to the left. German AAA opened a fire trying to defend their fighter. I avoided it and kept following that ME-109 firing short bursts at him while he was making short turns. Messer made a sharp left turn and got down close to the ground...I am right behind him and shooting again and again.. I think i wasted like 100 cannon round and about 1000 bullets. But Germans are not fools, he`s not letting me to get into comfortable position. But i must say that we gave a scare. Showed them what we’re made of. It`s not an easy task for IL2 to compete with the fighter. They are twice as fast and much more maneuverable. Some of the IL2s that i came across required a big effort to control, due to its age and constant damage. Infantry got out of their trenches and was observing all this roller coaster.

91-st regiment organized 16 planes to attack Belaya Zerkov with 10 fighters to cover them. 3 planes did not return.

Still no news about Granichkin. Not an easy task for fighters to cover Sturmovik. They are all tight... their maneuvering abilities during flight are extremely limited, they have to cover at all costs. They are attached to us and taking heavy losses."

"13.12.43.
Yesterday we lost another 4 fighters. 91st Regiment flew 2 missions to attack germans near Belaya Zerkov. Everything that was moving on the roads nearby was a subject to our attacks. Il-2`s were attacking separately, not in groups and that was all that german fighters needed. All the way till now mostly regular pilots were getting killed...but lately our commanders were taking a turn. Yesterday group of Sturmoviks led by squadron commander Fillipov took of from our airbase. Later on during that mission he got carried away chasing FW-189 and lost his group. He did not return. Fillipov was at war from day 1 and already completed more than 200 mission on different types of planes ...on IL-2 - more than 80. Documents for his promotion were sent out in August. He didn`t live to see it. What a stupid, unnecessary loss!

And today the navigator of 91-st regiment major Rulev was lost under even more stupid circumstances. He was lost and during landing ended coming from opposite side of the runway in low-level flight. The weather bad and visibility limited. At the very same time the other pilot came in for landing from the right approach. They met on opposite courses and tried to break off without any speed left. One managed to get ahold on the plane...but Rulev did not make it...fell on the ground and burned.

Today we have a day off. I was reading a book all day "Youth of Matvei", 250 pages a very good read.

We received a winter uniforms. Worse then last year. Shortage of supply.

Yesterday we lost Boris Mayorov from 91st. AAA shell shredded his plane and neither of the crew had time to jump out. Boris was at war since Rzhev.
Xabarov did not return from the mission...

Today i led the group on Vinnitsa Stavi. On the approach over german territory 4 "FW`s" showed up. They did not have time to attack us, so jumped on our fighter escort instead. One of ours was shot down.

Nikolay Alferiev did not reach airbase by only 30-40 kilometers...crashed..

And yesterday Egor Kaligin crashed near Vasilkovo. Engine stopped.

A lot of our comrades fought and died in Gribenki area..area of Belaya Zerkov and south-east of Kiev. Why are they keep sending us to those areas? There is no war on the ground there. Nobody is advancing.

Fighter regiment that covers us has lost 8 pilots in 6 days.

From the mission near Belaya Zerkov did not return first lieutenant Shejnin, Gorbachev, Kostjunin -my former student in Balashovskaya School. Yesterday we lost another fighter. Our division from 96 planes accounts for 30 now. We will receive new planes soon...fresh blood is needed.

Two groups of eight took off on Belaya Zerkov. They were accompanied by 12 fighters. I didn`t take long before Germans showed up. Three of our fighters were brought down: our spanish pilot -Antonio Uribe, Monahin and the commander of the flight Petrenko. All of them were killed. From the close support fighter wing only Stroganov came back....1 out of 4. When his wing was attacked ...the other 8 fighters that had cover IL2`s were nowhere in sight. Prieto, other spanish pilot was crying for his fallen countryman.

Today I`ve received a letter from my brother. I can`t believe that he`s going back to the front lines after the hospital...wounded twice already...

Sotnikov, commissioner of our regiment, said that very soon I will be promoted to commander of a squadron instead of Fedulov, who went on some military courses.

Everybody is pleased, documents were sent for the award of Red Banner, but instead command sent us an order of "Patriotic War", second degree. Everyone is upset. All those morons are sitting far away from the fight and making a mess. They should try to do some flying, maybe that was they would learn what it takes to earn then award.
Yesterday we watched the movie "Two soldiers". Did not like it...pathetic attempt to reproduce Great Patriotic War.
Some of our pilots are resting after hospital, far away from action. Today or tomorrow they should be back at the base.

We heard rumors of our relocation in Borispol area for a long time. But something was preventing it...either airfield was too busy...or weather did not allow. And today we`ve been transferred to Zhuliani...it`s the central airbase in Kiev.

Two regiments of our division will be based here and other two - in Vasilkovo. It is very close to the front lines, less than 20 kilometers. I am sure that germans will bother us a lot.

Our guys have arrived from recovery center. There was a hospital in there as well. Saw many crippled pilots. There was about 100 of them at the hospital.
We have a new gunner...a girl from fighters regiment. First girl in our regiment. Other regiments had girls as a gunners for a while now.

Yesterday saw the movie "Big Life".

In Zhuliani we are not flying due to bad weather. All of us are hoping that our regiment will not be relocated before the New Year. We`ve been here for more than two months, got use to this place. We slowly adjust to normal life. Movies or dancing every evening. Not like before...boredom.
Sometimes I`m thinking of Raya. It`s been a long time since I`ve been with women. No letters are coming my way.

I still don`t know if my father received a money order that i sent to him at Donbass...for 3000 rubles.

Beskrovni came back to our lines after 4 months of recovery. Gunner Simakov is back too. He`s the one who climbed out of the burning plane under Ahtirka on August 20th...was badly burned, but still came back.

We are living in suburb of Kiev, Village Pervomaiskaya. I live in apartment. Besides there are many free houses in the area. On air station Zhuliani also based the regiment of air defense: two squadrons.. one women, the other one men. They are flying 24/7. Yesterday i spoke to the assistant of the commander of the squadron. They look like real pilots.. know how to drink vodka and swear.

Soviet offensive to the west and a southwest of Kiev began successfully. Our planes stuck in Zhiliani because of the weather. Ground war is going on without aircraft.
Yesterday me and Beregovoi went to Kiev. Walked around for more than four hours. From big building there were only walls left, enormous piles of bricks, wood and bended beams. On central street of Kiev - Krechatik - only couple of houses are still intact.

Not many locals around either....
Found a small shop that had lemonade and cakes. I can`t recall when i had such a great food and drink last time! Too bad we didn`t have enough money to pay. When we heard how much we owned...couldn`t believe it... 200 roubles! But didn`t show our shock...too old for that. Beregovoi left his 5000 roubles personal savings book there until today...then went and paid it off."
JG26_Scannon

Post by JG26_Scannon » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:23 pm

1944 Part I.

"2.01.44.
Happy New Year! God, please help me to stay alive to the end of this war.

At night german bombers are flying above Kiev, projectors are catching them and AAA unleashes hell of fire...but not getting them. Yesterday Germans bombed our airbase but no planes were damaged. One one of them bombs, a large one too...probably few hundreds kilorgamms fell near planes but did not expload.

I led group of IL2`s to the south of Belaya Zerkov. We spend 20 min over their territory but didn`t find anything interesting.

Today we flew in the group of five. On the way back our group was forced to fly really low because of the clouds and suddenly we came across another group of IL2`s flying towards us. We literally had to dive under them ... Pilot Shevko miscalculated his dive and crahsed into the ground. Was lost. Pilot died instantly but rear gunner Ovchinnkiov still alive. Survivor. This was a not first time for him and still, he comes out in one piece.

The weather turned for the worse. Our pilot Skrypnik was landing in the field south of Fastov .. his plane hit the trenches and was seriously damaged. He came back yesterday..by foot. On the same day PE-2 from other regiement crashed into barraks at the end of the runway.

And... a woman-pilot was landing her Yak on it`s belly and killed a technician who was standing near landing stip.

In middle of day we took off in group of eight and flew to the soust-west of Belaya Zerkov`. My 72-nd mission and fourth time as a group leader.

Yesterday i received a package: 250gr of vodka, towels, noteg-books, cigarettes and other things.

Today we buried N. Shevko. The orchestra played horrible. It was obvious that they were tired of funerals. Standing near casket with remains of my good friend...i said a few words and ...started crying.

I was appointed to the commander of the squadron...from regular pilot to the squad commander in 17 months... I guess they trust me .

Near Belaya Zerkov, long before our offencive, Sheinin was shot down and killed. Back then germans were putting a lot of pressure on us. Different story now...their fighters and ground fire are rare occasion. We are flying without fighter cover.

Yesterday 16 planes plus fighter cover took off towards Mironovka..apporximately 30-40 kilometers into German territory. Our target railroad tracks and cargo trains at the station. But near Belaya Zrkov fighter started complaining about the weather and left us. Our target was under thick layer of clouds. When we punched thru the clouds i only accounted for 10 planes...others went who knows where. Only 1 cargo train at the staion.

Yesterday i got two tickets to the theater... opera. Wanted to go with Evgenia but weather cleared up and it was necessary for me to fly. Tickets were gone.

We are relocation to new place...airbase at Uzin. Last night i heard rumors that our regiment will give remained planes to other regiements of our division and will wait for new ones. It was just a rumor. Oh well, we will continue to fly on what we got. Too many rumors...

I got into the hospital and in there i came across Petrenko, pilot of 181-st fighter regiment (Ona that use to cover us) . He was shot down near Gribenki along with Uribe and one other pilot and taken by germans. Germans have treated him at Belaya Zerkov hospital and when they ran...forgot to take him with them. Petrenko was badly burned and if it wasn`t for that he would probably was sent to Germany. He said that germans treated him well, even gave him a vodka few times. . There he found out about destiny of our captain Gorbachev. Gorbachev and hist gunner both jumped out of burning plane. Gunner was wounded by german soldiers who was chasing him...and shot himself. Pilot managed to escape and was hiding in a cellar of one of the houses at the village near by. In the evening Germans got drank and sent women in a cellar for some cucumbers. Girls were afraid and did not go in there... then one of drunk nazies went in there....and Gorbachev shot him. But he was also killed in the gunfire. Locals wanted to bury him...but germans did not let them...Destroyed his body.

I didn`t write for more than twenty days because left Zhulian unexpectedly and all my belongings remained on an apartment. When i came back...i found out that someone stole 800 rubles from me and my favorite belt with the star, the one i was wearing for almost 5 years.

Received two Letters from Grunia...She left Asia and came back home to her mom. Lives in Lubertzi now.

My father received money orders, but other 3000 rubles still missing.

So many good men were lost lately. On January 8th i led the group to the south-west of Belaya Zerkov. On 9-th to the south of station Mironovka. Second time - on Boguslav.

On January 10th few relocated to Nehvoroch, 20km to the north-east of Berdichev. Our group of 6 was coming back from the mission on Vasilkovo when they we attacked by Fw`s. German fighters were using a new tactics....hunt for group leader. They were attacking in pairs...one fighter was approaching from down below..covered by tail section, another from above was distracting rear gunners attention. Bottom began to attack Nikolaevs IL2 and closed on him up to 20-30 meters, but missed. Probably, could not concentrate: speed was so low that german was about to stall. On the second attack fighter got even closer, but miscalculated angle of his attack and had to pull up hard...but rear gunner wasn`t sleeping and with long burst sent nazi to his grave.

Fascists have begun strong counterattacks under Vinniza. Some major air battles there. On January 13th Nikolaev didn`t come back. They flew in pairs in the bad weather, plus german fighters. His wing was forces to land in Borispol.

On January 14 Voronin did not come back.. he flew in pair with someone. All of them from 92nd regiment.
We flew on January 15th. Flight of 4 was led by Poletaev who had some peoblems and couldn`t keep up.. His group was attacked by fighters and all planes were shot down. Pilot Smolyakov and his gunner died right there. Poletaev and his gunner jumped out at low altitude and Kozlov belly-landed in the field.

The second pilot from Spain: Prieto from 101-st fighters regiment did not return home.

My assistant Aljabiev, while i was absent from the rigiment, appointed my gunner Marushkin on the plane with new pilot - Kovtushenko. In the target area Kovtushenko pulled out of the dive so hard that Marushkin got thrown out of his seat... He had time to open his parachute...but germans captured him. Now i don`t have my well trusted guard with me. We were together since Belgorod. Like a family. (Later on Mrushkin managed to escape and came back to our regiment. Author.).

In the early morning of January 26th 92nd regiment sent out on the "hunting mission" 6 planes, solo flight. The weather was pretty bad, visibility is extreamly poor. As a result...disaster. We lost Ivan Ivanovich Kozlov and his gunner...plane plunged into the ground, due to poor visibility. Old fighter, very well respected ... we will dearly miss him. Two evenings in the row our pilots were giving him their best regards. People are dying because of superiors.

We can bury our friends on the rare occasion... more and more without funeral. Our infantry is much worse: pushing their bodies with bulldozers at the bottom bomb craters or any other holes and not even looking at the documents.

Kovshikov is commander of 92-nd regiment. I remember, when he arrived he still had old buttonholes traces from three cubes - rank of 1st lieutenant. How could he be appointed to the rank of regiment commander? There was no doubt that he knew someone "above". He took a great risk sending people out on January 26th, all because he wanted to show his loyalty to his superiors. And he will do the same later, not once...

Poletaev had to fly low because of the clouds..as a result he cought corner of church and crashed his plane. Hmm...looks like our old guys are giving in.

Grunia arrived to her mom...she`s been much nicer to me latey. I sent her 8000 roubles.

My ducmuments were sent out for a fourth award of Red Banner.

Our favourite division commander Baidukov was prpmoted to the corp commander. Commander for 91st regiment lieutenant colonel Levadnyj will be replacing him.

Our regiment lives in village Nehvorosch. Almost every night squadron commanders: me, Beregovoi, Koreshkov and the navigator of our regiment major Kuzin are playing cards. Some times we celebrate birthdays- fake ones...just to get drunk.

On February1st i led group to Belaya Zerkov first, then south of it...Mironovka. On the way back rain and fog made flying near impossible... With great effort we found our base and landed.

Folks at the village are pretty good...but too many fleas, they are eating us alive.

Our regiment managed to gather 10 planes in the flyable condition...but not long ago we had only 3...and for quiet some time."
JG26_Scannon

Post by JG26_Scannon » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:26 pm

Part 2.

"21.02.44.
About 10 days ago we started to get ready for our relocation in the Belaya Zerkov area...there we had to help our armies in liquidation of the surrounded german forces at Kosun-Shevchenko. Because of the weather all flyable planes of our regiments could depart only by February 11th. Total of 7 planes. And on 14-th other 5 had arrived. In the Belaya Zerkov soviet command gathered great amount of planes.. 11 regiments: 5 assault, 3 fighters, 3 night bombers -U-2. Great help for our infantry.

Today i flew 6 missions. When we got back at night our landlord gave us a bottle of home made vodka.

During landing on Belaya Zerkov airbase i accidently cough a wing of parked U-2 with one gear and broke it. From the pilots of 181-st fighter regiment i found out that pilot from Spain came back home alive... on foot.

Today we celebrated Beregovoi`s birthday at the village. Even command of our regiment showed up. Our commanders kind of mention that is not a good time for any celebrations...but it was obvious that they didn`t mind drinking and having fun.

On February 14 th i was sitting in the plane and noticed LA5 that was making landing in the strange way...plane was coming in and "dipping" one wing...then i noticed that rudder is completely missing along with half of the elevator, basically there was not much left from the tail section. How did pliot manage to keep that plane in the air? At the same time another LA5 landed on fusulage. But he couldn`t stop sliding and crashed into parked IL2 .... Looked like LA5 had a huge hole in the wing and was hard to control. As i found out later, 4 La5s were intercepted by 12 German fighters..but managed to escape.

On February 16th i led flight of 5. Before the front lines i spoted 6 Me-109 ...they saw us too and started to turn. I knew they were about to attack our formation and turned back into our territory. Instead of chasing us Messershmids started to bomb our positions and then left. I turned my group towards the target and continued our flight. Right before us Kuzin`s grop was in this area and they were attacked by FW`s and took a heavy beating.

One of our scout planes - PE-2 was looking for german airbase and got lost in the bad weather. Pilot flew his plane to Belaya Zerkov` and dropped his load of bombs on the village...while gunners were shooting at AAA locations. Our LA-5 went for intercept and shot the bomber down. Its crew was lost. A lot of things are happening on the war!

Two crews from our regiments that were shot down over german territory came back. They had to stay for three months with partisans near Cherkassi and fought together with them.

Mud! All our transports which supplied armies got stuck on roads from Belaya Zerkov up to Lisyanka. Our command tried to use U-2`s as transport planes, but gave our pilots wrong directions and they all eneded up on German territory. From 14 planes not a single one returned. When we flew on the missions we saw remains of those planes on the ground. Except for theseU-2`s other 5 did not make it home that day. FW`s had a good time hunting them down.

On February 19 our gunners shot down JU-52 and when plane crashlanded we finished it off with the bombs. And i heard that our fighters shot down 7 JU-52s. Kuzmin with direct hit of the anti-tank bomb destroyed german tank.

In the Belaya Zerkov our airfield turned into swamp...on take off mud was flying all over the place.

89 missions on my record.

In the bad weather one of our pilots dropped his bombs from low altitude and blew up his plane..was killed. So stupid, he knew that it was prohibited to release bombs so low!

Found my belt...it was stolen by one of the technicians... from my squadron!

On February 27th i had to lead group of fighters from Kiev to different airbases. Those were delievery pilots (delivering new planes from factory to front lines)... they could barerly fly, needed my supervision.

Today is my birthday - 31 years old. Time flies.
On the anniversary of Red Army i danced with Maria Malachova..and then walk her and her room mate Lisa home. On 23-rd we had a small concert of our staff in the village and after concert we danced. One drunk soldier was not polite and i had to punch him in the nose.

Led flight of 6 new fighters. Without landing with them i returned to Kiev and escorted second flight of six... on the low-level flight - and for that i received three days of arrest.

Awarded with the fourth award - Alexander Nevskiy. Today i have to goon the staff meeting... exchange of experience. Something like conference. I don`t feel like going.

Our pilot Smoljakov who was missing in action is still alive, but burned badly and right now at the hospital in Kiev.

Someone stole two pairs of gloves from me. Walking around with bare hands.

In 91-st Guards regiment 2 pilots Makarow and Filippov were awared with the gold star of Heroes. Makarov has 5 awards and Gold Star. At them the commander a shelf of Koryaks, favourite Kamanina, so they well understand each other. And the more Heroes will be at ÃÅ*îÃ?ÿêîâà in a shelf, the faster and itself will receive the maximum(supreme) award.

1-st Ukrainian front makes preparations for massive offencive operation. We have to study area of Shepetovki.
My birthday is still not celebrated...i heard the reason for it and lack of alkohol in the batallion of airfield maintenance.

One of my squadron rear gunners, a young girl, already sent to give birth. Pretty soon another one is going to be a mom as well. Both are from my squadron.

Weather is bad all the time ..bad.

Yesterday me and technician Fedorov shot a dear in the woods near by...already 3rd or fourth one.
Two pilots and a gunner from 91-st regiment were sent to the penal battalion for hooliganism.

Now my salary is 3340 roubles per month. On my saving account only 1270 roubles left. I am a big spender. Two times i sent 1000 roubles to Grunia.
I already have enought combat missions for "Hero of Soviet Union"... But my turn is still far away...besides i am not pushing for it... But if i`ll survive to the end of 1944, i will probably get it.

We lost Ivan Soshnin, who had more than 70 missions. Silly death. He was flying a plane after repairs from Nedri to our base. Almost reached Fastov but weather started to turn for the worse. He should have go back to Zhuliani...but instead kept staying on course. he eneded up near Nehvoroch in the snow storm and visibility got even worse, almost zero. Pilot decided land in the field...only 15 kilometers from our airbase, not on belly...on wheels. During landing gerar got cought up in the hole and plane flipped over. Ivan was hanging on the seat belts upside down. Water kept coming into cockpit and for some reason he couldn`t turn over...maybe lost his consciousness. As a result, he drowned. The owners of the house where he use to live were crying for him ...for a long time.

Yesterday we were informed, that at by 14.00 we should fly towards new location : Skomorokhi, that`s near Zhitomir. There was concrete runway. Operation near Vinnitsa and Zhmerinki was about to begin.

But we didn`t fly to Skomorokhi, weather was really bad. Our airfield turned into the swamp and planes couldn`t take off. Commander of our regiment Tichenko was teaching us how to play new card games.

Molodchikov and Skvrozov flew together in IL2 from Nedri ...on the same day when Soshnikov died. We didn`t hear from them for 4 days. Started to think that they crashed somewhere and died...and here they come walking to Nehvorosch on foot. It turned out that they managed to land in Fastov, but plane was damaged.

Two planes have collided in 91-st regiment during flight to the Skomorokhi airbase. One of IL2`s fell on the airbase and destroyed Yak and Duglas that were parked near landing strip.Two pilots and 1 gunner were lost in that crash. Other gunner was heavily wounded.

Starting from Zhitomir further cases of assault on our soildier and officers are more common. It will probably get worse when we get on territory of Poland. I heard some roomors that residents there are not friendly..."

Return to “The Winter 1943 Boardroom”