PHASE 2 - PLANE SET FINAL

A forum for design and development discussions regarding this multisector campaign.

Moderator: Petr

Petr

PHASE 2 - PLANE SET FINAL

Post by Petr » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:28 pm

Hi all,

The first plane set proposal for Phase 2. A big thanks to StG77_CountZero for checking all the planes, loadouts, etc... and providing this proposal!
Numbers are rough and very liable to change. Types are open to discussion etc...
Keep in mind the NW still has the final mission of Phase 1 which complicates a couple of things but more on that later.

Feel free to comment and propose changes.

EDIT:
There should also be around 18 Me323 & a large amount of Me321 gliders. However, testing has shown that these gliders are very difficult to tow. Count has details.

Last edited by Petr on Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petr

Post by Petr » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:09 am

After talking to Count here is version 1.11.

Some considerations:
1. The He111 was not active in the theatre at that time so should not be included in a historical plane set. The option remains but I suggest to focus on the historical plane set first and then consider possible additions if absolutely necessary.
2. The He111 totals have been added to the Ju-88 A4.
3. Without counting carrier planes and recon transport, the ratio is 42% in favor of the Axis. I think this works out well and is very historical.
4. The principle would be that the plane ending situation of phase 1 would be kept and all planes need to be flown on the map for both sides. Some adjustments might be necessary depending on how the NW actually ends (still 1 mission to go when I write this). However, when looking at the Allied fighter strength it is very important to know they ALL must be ferried by Carrier and flown to Malta!
5. Some specific situations might require exceptions to point 4 above.
6. A serious point of contention is undoubtedly the Beaufighter, Hurri IIc, Ju88C6 and Bf110F2. This is certainly a main topic for the meeting 09/01.
7. Added the BlenheimIVF.
8. An important point to make is that the Carrier based planes, although big in number, are fairly weak in performance when measured against the F4's and Macchi's. In addition, when ferrying planes in, an equal amount of carrier planes must be disembarked as carrier to Malta. Reducing the planes for defence substantially. Not all Carriers will be available from the start. Check other thread for more info on this.
9. As all variants and numbers, the 109 variants are open for dicussion and change. It's basically up to the Axis side to decide what they want (within reason ;-)
10. Added transports and gliders but numbers depend on weights and the amount of ground forces that will be in the phase (still need to do that).

StG77_CountZero

Post by StG77_CountZero » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:23 am

My aditional comment on planeset:

Axis:

If we will skip night missions then we should reduce number of heavy fighters to:
4x Bf-110F2 (no bombs, yes 2x20mm gunpod gondola)
8x Ju88C6
12x Bf-110E-1
If we will play night missions then numbers of heavy fighters looks ok

add 8x Bf-109F5, only for recon, with photo capacity increase to 7 pictures

add He-111Z for towing gliders, and use maybe some number of He-111H for towing also if humans wont to do this, as He-111Z can be flown only by AI, like Me-323 or Me-321

add G-11 small glider if neccesary as german DFS-230, also not able to be flown by humans only AI

Allied:

If we will skip night missions then we should reduce number of heavy fighters to:
8x Beaufighter MK.I
8x Blenheim Mk.IVF (20mm gun)
If we will play night missions then numbers of heavy fighters looks ok

We should avoid using SpitVc(4), bigger number of HurriBomberIIc is there as replacment for Spitfire Vc 4x20mm cannons.

add 6x Spitfire Mk.Vb Merlin46 as recon only fighter, photo capacity increase to 7 pictures

Regarding test with Gliders:

All airplanes are able to tow gliders (Me-321 or G-11), but good ones for towing are Me-323, He-111Z, He-111H and Bf-110s, they will not coase Yo-Yo oscilations, and air crash of tower and glider, like Ju87, Ju52, SM75, SM79, Br20, CantZ 1007 and Ju88s will do in most cases (from airstart or take off). Fighters should not tow gliders although some of them do good job (Re2000 and Bf-109s).
He-111H or Bf-110 are best if we wont humans to have ability to tow gliders, Me-323 and He-111Z are only AI not able to be flow by humans in HSFX7.

Things to take care if human is towing glider is:
keep speed around 300kmh and dont do to sharp turns, if line is streched abow 40m it will brake.
I didnt found any key that realises glider (i tryed: attach/detach, jetteson stores, dump fuel, airbrake, wing fold and so on), so thing what i would do to realise glider is, 5-10km infront airbase or place i wont glider to land, at 500m altitude i would dive hard in same direction and glider would go up line would broke. Glider would then continue on that heading and fined place to land.

AI airplanes are doing this also good, but air planer has to plan them cearfuly (dont know how seow MP works with gliders).
In FMB AI towing airplane is relising glider on waypoint before landing waypoint. When glider is relised he will try to land at closest base or place neer base in hes direction of heading from point of relise. Waypoints needs to be planed veary cearfule with not so big turns or changes in speed, and that realise waypoint should be 5-10km from place you wont glider to land, waypoint before realise waypoint will determen gliders heading.
So if i have 8 waypoints for towing airplane, 8th one is landing for towing airplane (can be whereever, dosent have to be on base glider is landing next to), 7th waypoint will be realise of glider, 6th waypoint with 7th should be used to determen heading of glider. Link for test mission HSFX 7.01 expert on: http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=ga ... d71976232b

And aditional problem with gliders/towing airplane is they have to be 1 in flight not more, if they are more then 1 they coase lot of problems flying in formation and making turns, usealy ending in crashes of gliders in gliders or in towing airplanes, and connecting two gliders to one airplane in some cases on air starts. And if they start from ground you can only have 1 towing airplane and 1 glider, no other airplanes on same runway at same time.
StG77_CountZero

Post by StG77_CountZero » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:18 am

I was looking at Wargs Illustrious Blitz Campaign and i noticed nice desert skin for Martlet
viewtopic.php?t=2746

I see that they were from July 1942 on HMS Indomitable, 806 squadron was equipped with Martlet Mk.II, since May 1942 they had Mk.I.
http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/aircr ... ildcat.htm

Maybe we could add 4xF4F-3 (Martlet Mk.II) on that carrier also for phase 2
Petr

Post by Petr » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:42 am

Sure, don't see why this would be a problem. To be discussed with the Axis off course.

Cheers,
Petr
StG77_CountZero

Post by StG77_CountZero » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:11 pm

Regarding recon fighters, as nither Bf-109F-5 or Spitfire Mk.Vb Merlin 46, mentioned in posts abow, have ability to cary droptanks we should use on Axis Bf-109F4/Z 1942 (specialy only for recon like its case with Ju88A4 recon named Ju88D in MP) and on Allieds side Spitfire F Vc(2) trop 1942, as they have abillity to cary droptanks.
Petr

Post by Petr » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:13 pm

StG77_CountZero wrote:Regarding recon fighters, as nither Bf-109F-5 or Spitfire Mk.Vb Merlin 46, mentioned in posts abow, have ability to cary droptanks we should use on Axis Bf-109F4/Z 1942 (specialy only for recon like its case with Ju88A4 recon named Ju88D in MP) and on Allieds side Spitfire F Vc(2) trop 1942, as they have abillity to cary droptanks.
Agreed on the need for a special recon "fighter". Exact type and numbers to be discussed.

Cheers,
Petr
Petr

Post by Petr » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:53 pm

Version 1.2 of the plane set proposal:
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different outcome...

- Albert Einstein
Petr

Post by Petr » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:49 pm

Final planesets.
Let me know if case of errors/issues asap.

EDIT: Malta starts with 8x HurriBomberIIC, 12x HurriIB, 12x HurriBomberIIB

Thanks!
Petr

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different outcome...

- Albert Einstein

Return to “The Scylla and Charybdis Lounge”