Retribution Raid of Task Force How (TF 8)

Here is a room for discussions surrounding Kopfdorfer's campaign development processes.
Kopfdorfer

Retribution Raid of Task Force How (TF 8)

Post by Kopfdorfer » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:55 pm

As my next progression I want to tackle managing ship movement and naval combat.
I also wish to learn how to use the Template Merging Tool.

Again in trying to keep the concept of manageable missions in a limited time format I have decided to represent the Retribution Raids on the Gilbert and Marshall Islands in the first days of 1942.

I at first thought to recreate the Yorktown TF ( TF 17 or TF Fox) attack on Makin Island because of its modest size.
Further research suggested that the Japanese had very little to resist this with , and that the Enterprise Task Force faced more substantial and spirited resistance (and a lot more targets) in the Marshall Islands.
Because there is no map of the Marshalls currently in SEOW I will use the Western Carolines as a proxy map.

Task_Force_How will be a one day campaign , February 2 , 1942.
It will be naval and air oriented ; only the Japanese will have ground units.

The US Units will be a single Task Force built around CV-6 the big "E" Enterprise.
Japanese units will be elements of the 4th Fleet , Imperial Japanese Navy.

Turns will be of two hours duration.
0500-0700-0900-1100-1300-1500-1700-( and optional) 1900.

Put simply , the US Objective will be to destroy the maximum number of Japanese Naval , Air , and Ground Units.
The Japanese objective will be to destroy more US assets than the damage they accrue.
Should the Enterprise be sunk , it will be a strategic Japanese victory.

If anyone would like to act as the commander of one side , please let me know.

Unless I am convinced otherwise , I plan to proceed like with my Ostfriesland campaign on a very casual schedule of playing when folks around here are up to it , and don't have something better on.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

As soon as the final mission for Ostfriesland is run , I will commence initialization of Task_Force_How.

Sincerely ,

Kopfdorfer
StG77_CountZero

Re: Retribution Raid of Task Force How (TF 8)

Post by StG77_CountZero » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:10 am

Hi

at what time and day the missions would be played?
Kopfdorfer

Post by Kopfdorfer » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:19 am

Hey CountZero

As you can see from my above post , there is was no set schedule for Ostfriesland , simply because I wanted the freedom to plan and fly it whenever possible. I was planning to do the same with TF How.

If you have a group that is interested in this , and requires a time frame , I am happy to talk about it , and consider establishing a set schedule.

Really to me these are "Exercise" campaigns by which I am getting more familiar with how to build , manage , plan and fly an SEOW campaign. As long as I can keep achieving these ends , I am flexible as to where and with whom.

Kopfdorfer
StG77_CountZero

Post by StG77_CountZero » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:35 am

Im just asking for my self, as im now watching world cup games late at night in my time zone maybe ill be able to fly some missions after the game if time of missions starts is ok for me, and PTO missions sounds interesting
Kopfdorfer

Post by Kopfdorfer » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:43 pm

Task Force How is a one day 6 or 7 Turn Campaign to recreate the "Retribution" Raids by the USN on the recently captured Marshall Islands.
The Date is February 2 , 1942.
The time is 0500 hrs.
Turns will be 2 hours long.
Task Force How , under Vice Admiral William F. Halsey will attack the Marshall islands with air raids and capital ship bombardments.
The US objective is to inflict the maximum amount of damage , and get away with it.
The Japanese objective is to inflict maximum damage to Halsey's TF8 ( Codenamed TF How) and if possible to sink the Enterprise.
Task Force How includes the Enterprise , 3 unidentified Capital ships and an estimated 6 Destroyers.

Elements of the Japanese 4th Fleet under Vice Admiral Shigejoshi Inoue and the reinforced 24th Air Flotilla under Rear Admiral Eiji Goto are defending the Marshalls.

If this campaign interests you as a potential commander, please let me know as soon as possible.
I would like to initialize this week and play starting next weekend , if possible.

Should you know of any individual or group which this might appeal to , please have them let me know ASAP.

I'm looking forward to the Pacific!

Kopfdorfer

Return to “Kopfdorfer's Den”