New Test Campaign "Task Force 8"

Here is a room for discussions surrounding Kopfdorfer's campaign development processes.
greykitten

Re: New Test Campaign "Task Force 8"

Post by greykitten » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:45 am

Well i told my guys to start sewing shirts together, and asked the mechanics to build a mast... i don't like rowing that much ;)

@Luny & Scannon : i heard that the campaign won't last much (and by seeing our fuel supply i understood why :mrgreen: ) so next one i will switch side of planners

See you soon...
"Il n'est pas besoin d’espérer pour entreprendre, ni de réussir pour persévérer" Guillaume d'Orange
LW/JG10_Luny

Post by LW/JG10_Luny » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:49 am

LOL. Yes, the mast is also a good idea, but the weather is a bit rough for sailing.

The problem with the fuel is common to both sides. But it has been already fixed by Kopfdorfer, so the supplies will last for the campaign. Resuplying is a task that commanders have to keep in mind, though.
LW/JG10_Luny

Post by LW/JG10_Luny » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:45 am

Get message from some ships with heavy lack if fuel. These ships can not run for the whole mission as the endurance is reduced to less than the distance she can run for two hours.
Kopfdorfer

Post by Kopfdorfer » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:57 pm

Hey Luny,

I did adjust some fuel loads and idle consumption rates. I will revisit this again if necessary , but ...

My intent in design was that the IJN Commander would not be able to move all of the IJN ships , and would be required to allocate different types of smaller vessels to shipping fuel , deciding which ships should move and which should not etc. It is supposed to be hard! (but not so hard that you feel that the IJN cannot comptete - just hard).

I am not at my computer with access to the databse and sedcs for a few days - though I hope to be there to fly tomorrow.
So for now I cannot have a look at whether the amount of strife (difficulty) you are having is too much or "just enough".

If you feel your concerns will compromise the campaign , please pm 4Shades and let him know , and either he can address it - I don't mind - or we can do it after this next mission.

Kopfdorfer
LW/JG10_Luny

Post by LW/JG10_Luny » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:03 pm

Not at all, Kopf. Nothing to be changed. Just mentioned, to let you know that some ships have not fuel enough to run for two hours. I'm dealing with your intentioned plan and, as you say it's hard, but affordable. So, let it as it is.
Sometimes the difficulties become visible once you have it at your nose tip. Then you have to deal with using the "tools" in range. Sometimes you can fix it almost immediately, sometimes not.
That's part of SEOW and part of players task, and will be always present.

Luny
LW/JG10_Luny

Post by LW/JG10_Luny » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:14 pm

Axis planned

Scannon, add whatever you need.

Good luck.
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:34 am

Allied plans in. Greykitten has planned his first SEOW HQ mission! :)

Cheers,
4S

PS: I will be a little late tonight for hosting. Apologies, I will get home as quickly as I can.
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer
Kopfdorfer

Post by Kopfdorfer » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:30 pm

Okay Gentlemen ,

I have again tweaked the fuel consumption rates and the fuel loads of "some" vessels.

I never claimed to be mathematically astute.

I think these should be okay for the duration , and model the supply - command dilemmas I was hoping to represent. I think it best for the remainder of the campaign if I don't do this anymore after today , in order to allow the privations of war to fully affect the IJN units in the Marshall Islands!!!

I hope this is acceptable even if it is not wholly satisfactory !

Talk to you during the week.

Kopfdorfer
greykitten

Post by greykitten » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:30 am

Thanks for the new settings.

Could we get separates forum for each side ?

See you soon,
"Il n'est pas besoin d’espérer pour entreprendre, ni de réussir pour persévérer" Guillaume d'Orange
Kopfdorfer

Post by Kopfdorfer » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:35 pm

Hey Greykitten,

I have no idea either if it is possible to set up separate Forums , or if so how to do it.

We of the USN have simply been using a combination of TeamSpeak and Private Messages.

Kopfdorfer
greykitten

Post by greykitten » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:13 pm

Hello,
i meant separate topic with restricted access , it has already be done for other campaign. You might have a look in [User Control Panel] at the top of the screen, then [Usergroups] then [Manage Groups] you might have some options there

Of course MP & TS is great when there are only two commander, but being 3 i have things to ask without our friends of the IJN knowing :mrgreen:

I won't be able to fly this week end, i will be on the road.

See you soon,

Edit: in fact my question is for everyone (IJN included :D )

-->when moving a unit during a mission there is no Stationary Unit Supply Use ?
So by moving just a little we just consume the part of the fuel needed for the trip ?

Which is where the limit to sea/ground movements come in game i guess.

Mission planned on my side then :D
Kopfdorfer

Post by Kopfdorfer » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:21 pm

Hey Grey Kitten ,

I'll answer part 2 first.
When you are setting up a campaign , as a campaign designer , you choose the "idle supply consumption" by unit type. You can also alter this rate of consumption during the campaign. In fact this is one of the settings that I made adjustments to regarding the rapid rate of supply consumption following Luny's request - this is one of the features that I am learning how to apply in order to add a certain character to a campaign.

As the Campaign Admin , you can also adjust the number of airframes , ships and ground units that may be moved by side per turn. This is also adjustable. I have intentionally limited the number of ship movements for this campaign to reflect historical situation of this carrier raid.

Regarding the setting up for separate channels for command conferences for each side , I have no doubt the possibility exists to do so , but given the small scale of the engagement and the small number of commanders involved , I think TS and PMs will serve for us , especially given that there are only 3 or 4 more missions to plan.

I don't mean to be rude , but my absorbtion of the things I can manipulate to make this a satisfying campaign is limited , and I don't see the return being commensurate with the investment of my time in this instance.

For the future I will want to learn to set up and manage that sub-system of SEOW , just not right now.

I hope you understand.

Kopfdorfer
greykitten

Post by greykitten » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:01 pm

Hi Kopfdorfer,

First i hope i didn't offend you in any way.

I don't have time to develop right now,but

_Point 1 was a suggestion with a hint (i'm not even sure) about how to do it. I don't know how much time it would take, and you're right we don't need it at the moment.

_Point 2 was two questions on the seow fonctionnement:

how much fuel does consume a moving unit?
can it consume less by moving than by staying idle ?
*I will have the answer next satursday anyway by looking at the mp because i have a specific unit in mind*

That's all, nothing personal and i'm grateful for the work you put into the campaign, which allows us to play.

See you soon
Kopfdorfer

Post by Kopfdorfer » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:17 pm

GreyKitten

No Offense Taken , of course.

When I said I wanted feedback , I meant it and I will note your thoughts and remember them for later.

I don't think there is a unit which would consume less by moving than staying idle , but that is a query for 4Shades .

The rate of consumption for an idle unit is set in the SEDCS by the campaign designer , and is expressed as a cost percentage of the total fuel capacity/load of a unit.

The settings as they are now ( and in a non - learning campaign I would not release these to you )
are :

aircraft 1 %
armour 1.2 %
artillery 0.8 %
engineer 1 %
shipping 1 %
vehicle 1.2 %
default 0.5 %

Rates are per mission ( in our case 2 hours)

As you are aware , these were initially set higher , and I reduced the values due to the request by Luny after consideration and consultation with 4Shades.

Kopfdorfer
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:11 pm

Hi guys,

Good discussion - helps us all to learn.

1. Forum
Kopfdorfer has no admin rights to these forums so he cannot create new rooms even if he wanted to! For background, these forums are completely separate to the SEOW system. They are paid for and administered by me just as a convenience. I just haven't got around to adding Allied and Axis rooms here in Kopfdorfers forum yet. :lol:

2. Idle Supply Use
All units consume supply, no matter whether they are moving or not. This is called "idle supply use", and the idle use settings are chosen by the campaign designer. The idle supply use settings are visible to all commanders via the MP "Settings" link inside the campaign intel page (grey box, top left). They are not secret. SEOW ensures that no matter what movement orders are given, each unit consumes AT LEAST the relevant idle use amount per mission. A very short trip down the road by a tank, e.g. 50 m, will intrinsically use hardly any supply, but the tank still has to maintain itself for the duration of the mission so it will still consume supply at a rate no less than its idle use setting.

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Return to “Kopfdorfer's Den”