Possible explanation for TBD-1 problems

Here is a room for discussions surrounding Kopfdorfer's campaign development processes.
IV/JG7_4Shades

Possible explanation for TBD-1 problems

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:18 am

Following Greykitten's issues last night I tried to test this out. My best guess is the overheat properties of the TBD-1. Even a small amount of overheating can lead to irreversible engine problems. If you get an overheat signal you must drop your throttle below 50% and keep your revs down. If you overheat a few times, your engine will seize.

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer
greykitten

Re: Possible explanation for TBD-1 problems

Post by greykitten » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:25 am

Damn you're right, i remember that when i spawn the second time, the plane dive a bit because a dropped the stick to put the free track on or something like that.

The TBD is a bit tricky to use as you shouldnt go too fast(over 340km/h) or the motor shrink.

By creating a little overheat in a dive i recreated almost the same symptoms i beared last mission. So the reliability settings wasn't at fault this time. (As the TBD behave similarly with the reliability setting off)

Given it's caracteristics, it not a good idea to go/be anywhere near flak with that plane, he is too slow and can't really dive.

BTW: when you get an overheat signal it is most of the time too late.
"Il n'est pas besoin d’espérer pour entreprendre, ni de réussir pour persévérer" Guillaume d'Orange
Kopfdorfer

Post by Kopfdorfer » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:41 am

I thought it was worth relaying how I was able to fly a combat mission in this aircraft as some folks are having trouble with it.

Firstly , I suspect that it is modelled to have a rather high mechanical defect rate as far as aircraft in IL2 go.

It must be treated for what it is - an underpowered and heavy aircraft.

Don't fly it at 100% prop pitch except for take-off and landing , and when needed for combat engagements in contact while in contact with the enemy.
I found 85% pitch to be fine for most applications.

Except when you need that extra speed , keep the rad open at least at position 4.
I found that for cruise and torpedo run , it was fine at position 4 , whenever I stressed the engine - take off , landing and evasion - I had the rad flaps fully open.

Though I doubt it has anything to do with overheat , I operated at 80% mixture , except at Takeoff and Landing.

You are not going to sacrifice much in the way of speed ( and you are not going to pull away from anything in the
Pacific anyway) so you have to count on flight integrity and evasion to get you out of fighter trouble.

At least it is relatively tough in terms of structure , and barring an engine hit you have a good chance to survive flak hits.

Kopfdorfer
greykitten

Post by greykitten » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:24 am

Thanks for the review, I agree he is easy to fly in normal conditions and I found it pretty accurate for slight dive bombing. Well we just can't be too harsh on it
"Il n'est pas besoin d’espérer pour entreprendre, ni de réussir pour persévérer" Guillaume d'Orange

Return to “Kopfdorfer's Den”