Final Mission for Task Force 8 Next Week

Here is a room for discussions surrounding Kopfdorfer's campaign development processes.
Kopfdorfer

Final Mission for Task Force 8 Next Week

Post by Kopfdorfer » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:11 am

Hey Guys ,

By general concensus , we will make next week's mission for Task Force 8
- 2 Feb 1942 1800-2000 hrs , the final mission for this test campaign.

Thanks to everyone who has taken part , and especially
4Shades and Catsy who brought the Signaller feature alive for the first time.

Thanks also to Luny as Admiral Inoue , Area Commander IJN , who tolerated
my errant initial supply settings with grace , and just the right amount of
justifiable consternation.

If anyone has any thoughts or comments about the design of the campaign ,
and any strengths and weaknesses that made the experience more
immersive , or could make a future campaign more so please let me know .

My goal is to get a little bit better at this each time.

Kopfdorfer
LW/JG10_Luny

Re: Final Mission for Task Force 8 Next Week

Post by LW/JG10_Luny » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:57 pm

The signaller feature was a great addition. Thank you for making it possible.

Every campaign needs some missions to get used to the settings and this one wasnt the exception for that rule. Fine tune must be done during the run, and so were done. Thank you and thanks for the kind words.

I have absolutely nothing to critisize about the campaign. In fact, I think it was thoroughly arranged with high potential for different kind of missions that a longer campaign might rise up. Extremely detailed capabilities for every type of unit regarding the signaller feytature. For example: Trying to extend the detection area in Ulithi sector, I arranged a Daihatsu landing craft with fuel and loaded with a radio truck. As the truck has signaller capability and a detection range I supposed was the same as other units, aircraft and shipping, I sent it to one of the southern rocks of the atoll. In the next mission the craft arrived and disembarked the unit and the supplies. Just to let you know, all this operation took a couple of missions as :roll: the craft had to move from one island to the main one before emberking the truck while the radio truck moved to the embarking position. Well, once disembarked, the radio was ready to detect any enemy unit within range, expecting the US Navy will close the atoll from the SE. Two missions later I noticed that the radio truck could detect only enemy ground units... and close enough to smell the lubricant oil of their weapons. Things like this make every campaign substatially more intense than you expect. Probably the designer would have known all this, but for the simple player who deals with a lot of units, its a constant learning trip wich intensifies the commanding task. Luckily, as I always say, they are just pixeled lifes and material. But once you are involved in the campaign, the become part of you.

Things to be improved, I have to say the change location feature. I have resupplied and sent back to duty some ships using this in the last mission. Jumping out up to 10 kms is too much. I havent noticed before this mission and so the oiler was able to reach Yap and refuel several ships. The DD freight capability and the internal tanks fuel distribution made things easier but, probably, unrealistic. Refuelling an airbase with heavy fuel, being useful is unrealistic but saved our brave pilots to stay grounded for one mission. Also a weird problem in the fuel transfer from units to fields helped a lot. Anyway I think its already fixed by 4S. I remember you again, Mike, about the high octane fuel as a special item to deliver.
I like a lot the submarines different fuel consumption rate when submerged and surfaced. Took me till this last mission to remember and make better use of.
The sea tender is also good as a movable recon platform. I've noticed the recovered planes are ready for the next mission without delay. Don't know if intentionally or not.
Would be good to plot a trip for the ship but as scrambler if the recon flight detects enemy activity, as the taking off plane crashes if the ship moves right from the beginning.

In short, t has been a great campaign carefully detailed.

Looking forward for the next one.
greykitten

Post by greykitten » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:25 am

It was a pleasure to fly with you and plan (a bit :D ).

IMHO my goals were fulfilled: To fly with nice people and with a purpose. Not very complicated am I ?

Well there were some things to tune up, and you fixed them on the way.

I'm less knowledgeable than you on SEOW (understatement :mrgreen: ), but on general purpose i'm used to say that we pay in order to learn. It may be with time, money or worse.

So we should make as many errors as we can as long as we can afford it.

Plus, you made crystal clear the fact that you are on a learning curve so it is the time for errors/mistakes/misconception/ aso... to spawn out !.

Please go ahead, it was fun and i'm looking forward to your next campaign.

Now for the details, i have one request for 4Shades: to make separates "forum" for each side. It is selfish but i found it to be more convenient for strategical discussions than by PM. :D Well if you don't think it's worth the trouble, you're right, it is a luxury so nevermind. And thanks for all the work and planning, you are devilishly fast to make that just before the mission.

I will be on the road next week-end so i won't be able to attend the mission.
Moreover my assigned planning duties are over, (thinking of describing "The raft of 'La méduse' " after the mission :cry: )

See you for the next campaign !
"Il n'est pas besoin d’espérer pour entreprendre, ni de réussir pour persévérer" Guillaume d'Orange
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:34 pm

You are always welcome greykitten!

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer
LW/JG10_Luny

Post by LW/JG10_Luny » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:30 am

I planned the shipping for today's mission, yesterday. Had to left the air planning for today.
Now I can't connect the MP. Get this message: No Sector Data found for Battle of Kursk.
If anyone has the time for, please do. I'l ltry to connect later but have not too much time as I must go out for home duties...

Sorry

Luny
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:53 am

My mistake, MP now operational.
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Return to “Kopfdorfer's Den”