Adler Tag

Here is a room for discussions surrounding Kopfdorfer's campaign development processes.
Kopfdorfer

Adler Tag

Post by Kopfdorfer » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:12 am

In an effort to continue my "Learning" style campaigns for fledgeling SEOW commanders , and expand the use of possibilites that SEOW makes available , the next Mini Campaign will (probably) be
"Adler Tag".

Adler Tag ( Eagle Day)
August 13 , 1940
The Luftwaffe finally unleashes it's offensive against the RAF.
This is a one day 6-Mission Campaign featuring Radar.

Again , Victory Objectives will be simplified for clarity.
There will be no ground combat.

Allied aircraft will consist of (in historical ratios) :
Hurri Is
Spit IAs
Spit IBs
Spit IIAs
Martlet ( yes Martlets)
Beauforts Mk I early
Swordfish Mk I

Luftwaffe Aircraft will consist of :
Bf109E1, E3s , and E4s
Bf110Cs
He111H-2s
Do17Zs
Ju88A-5s ( A-4 proxy)
Ju87Bs

The British must defend their RAF resources and preserve enough to prevent or at least delay the coming invasion - success determined by count of delta ( change in ) forces between the start and the end of the campaign.
The British need Convoy Breadstick to arrive and unload.
They must protect it.

The Germans must degrade all RAF defences - Aircraft , Airfields , AAA , Radar .
They must prevent Convoy Breadstick's arrival.

...and of course Herr Goering will be watching from his command train.

Kopfdorfer
Kopfdorfer

Re: Adler Tag

Post by Kopfdorfer » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:56 am

Well , the implementation of historical Radar positions using HSFX has proved problematic at best.
Tests showed that the Chain Home High and Chain Home Low radar objects on the Channel 40 map in historical positions are indestructible in regular game play.
At first I thought that since they were actor objects in the map they might have been given no damaged/dead models and data , but using the destruction brush in FMB I was able to destroy them.
I also found that the map native actors static objects had no SEOW radar characteristics.(Should have known this I guess)
It was necessary to add one of the two radar objects on top of the native map actors static radar objects to have them functional in an seow context.
Now I could get radar functionality by burying the SEOW radar objects inside either the native map actors , or by constructing additional buildings over the existing historical positions - neither a very elegant solution - but the structures could still not be destroyed by any ingame means.
I thought that perhaps I could use small factory plates over the radar sites and have SEOW measure hits/damage , then go in between missions and using the destruction brush affect the necessary installations manually in the SEDB.
Getting factory plates to function is proving problematic.
The SEOW wiki does not have a how-to on enabling factory plates , and for me (and those I have asked about it so far) it is not terribly intuitive.
Placing them ( Factory Plate Small ) in a template file and initiating a map does not work , either with only map native actors or by adding SEOW Radar objects.
We were unable to get them to work by initiating a map witohout factory plates and then trying to add them manually through the SEDB either.
Examination of the .ini files gives a few hints , and poses a couple of possibilities.
First , the Panzer value for the Objects which compose the Chain Home High Objects ( two objects make up this single tower installation (which may prove another level of difficulty in implementation for a solution - time and testing will tell)
is the highest of any object we found in the technics.ini - 40 something.
The huge rock in Leningrad Harbour has a panzer rating of 9. something - could the decimal place have been inadvertently moved from 4.something to 40.something ?
Some questions arise from this examination.
1) Can any existing object be copied from elsewhere in the static.ini and pasted into either of the SEOW Radar Objects sections ( Chain Home High and Chain Home Low) and assume the properties of the SEOW Radar objects ?
2) Can more than one object type be included in each of the categories ( CHH and CHL) the SEOW Radar Objects list ?

I am not really too comfortable mucking around in my technics file , but it seems likely that the solution lies therein.

Some more tests will be done to try to figure this out.

In the meantime , Adler Tag is going on the shelf.

Kopfdorfer
Kopfdorfer

Post by Kopfdorfer » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:11 am

Well some messing with the static.ini and the technics.ini ( by someone cleverer than me)
and we have a working repair for the CHH and CHL radar objects.
Now I have to figure out how to alter the entries ( and which entries ) in the SEDB to make them fully active.
Stand By.

Kopfdorfer
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:54 am

SEOW Wiki on Factory Plates: https://seowhq.net/seowwiki-en/index.ph ... forcements
Very easy to use. Just follow the instructions.

Map objects: these are usually not enabled for combat functions. For instance, trees and farmhouses do not log destruction or damage events, only combat objects do (vehicles, aircraft, ships, trains etc). If you want to put radar objects in historical locations, either choose a map where these locations are blank (no houses etc there) or take the existing dummy buildings out of the Channel 1940 map. Then add the defined radar objects (ChainHomeLow or ChainHomeHigh) in your template in the right locations.
1) Can any existing object be copied from elsewhere in the static.ini and pasted into either of the SEOW Radar Objects sections ( Chain Home High and Chain Home Low) and assume the properties of the SEOW Radar objects ?
No. SEOW only works with those combat objects that the game (HSFX) already knows about. E.g. you can't make a haystack act like the Bismarck unless you modify the game to include ship logic for a haystack.
2) Can more than one object type be included in each of the categories ( CHH and CHL) the SEOW Radar Objects list ?
Which SEOW Radar Objects list?

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Return to “Kopfdorfer's Den”