Mission #5

This room is where those who will participate in the "FUF: KZBK Stations" campaign, Kiev Sector, can assemble, share information and discuss the design and development of this SEOW HQ campaign.
IV/JG7_4Shades

Mission #5

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades » Sun May 26, 2013 7:38 pm

A very atmospheric mission, with snow falling from dark clouds and lightning strikes. Orange explosions in the distance...

The battle for Korosten is raging on the northern approaches, Dabryn is assaulted in the south, and Luginy has been liberated in the north-west. But the German armour has been mobilized.
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer
II/JG54_Emil

Post by II/JG54_Emil » Mon May 27, 2013 2:37 am

Yes the mission was very atmospheric and immersive for me.

Viewing the results is a shock!

7x German tanks committed suicide in the face of the peoples army waves.
And bombs hit their target but didn't do no damage. Lucky Bastards!

There is a problem though with the road system in SEOW.
Vehicles were locked in curve of a road, even with simple movement and then are beamed/spawned to another location in the mission planer, without being under fire or firing and destroying anything themselves.

This Truely Is a Ghost Legion then.

Is there anything we can do about this?
This is not the first campaign were I saw this happening and it frustrates me a bit.
IV/JG7_Warg

Post by IV/JG7_Warg » Mon May 27, 2013 3:58 am

My only query is in regard to armoured cars. Do they have enhanced scouting functions in this campaign and if so, is it seriously impaired to a negligible distance due to the current weather conditions?
IV/JG7_Warg
Knight of the Order of the Golden Pelican
Blitz buzzard over Valletta
Swiper of the Slot
Pugwash in Penang
HSFX Goodwill Ambassador
Founding Director of Simian Solutions
Emoticon Exterminator
von Paulus and the Crickets
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades » Mon May 27, 2013 6:56 am

Vehicles were locked in curve of a road, even with simple movement and then are beamed/spawned to another location in the mission planer, without being under fire or firing and destroying anything themselves.
I cannot investigate without further details.

However, remember that IL-2 does not report anything about ground unit movement progress. Therefore SEOW must assume that movement takes place as ordered. This has always been the case.
My only query is in regard to armoured cars. Do they have enhanced scouting functions in this campaign and if so, is it seriously impaired to a negligible distance due to the current weather conditions?
The Settings link shows the recon detection parameters. Scout cars have no special detection ability, and their recon scale is 400 m. That means they must get within 800 m of an enemy unit to gain any recon at all, given that recon decay is 10% per mission.

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer
II/JG54_Emil

Post by II/JG54_Emil » Tue May 28, 2013 3:48 pm

IV/JG7_4Shades wrote:I cannot investigate without further details
What details do you need?
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades » Tue May 28, 2013 8:24 pm

Well, obviously, which unit it was! Hundreds are moving in each mission.

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer
II/JG54_Emil

Post by II/JG54_Emil » Wed May 29, 2013 1:17 am

Lol...

Of course!

I'll pm you.
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades » Wed May 29, 2013 8:11 am

I removed all units from the mission except the moving tanks Emil indicated, and then ran it myself for 15 minutes. The tanks were delayed at the start as they moved from their dispersed positions through trees and buildings to the road they were ordered to follow, then they sorted themselves out and followed the route exactly.

They did not get "locked in a curve of the road". They simply bounced off some trees near the road etc for a while and were delayed for a few minutes until they got happily onto the road surface. If they encountered any enemies afterwards during the actual mission, that would have delayed them longer.

This is all normal for ground operations in IL-2. Emil if you are trying to plan exact arrival times to coordinate combat actions, then you are being too optimistic!

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer
II/JG3K.Brandle

Post by II/JG3K.Brandle » Wed May 29, 2013 9:19 am

There is one other possibility.

The tanks that got "locked in" was not because of the curve in the road. It was because they were engaged and were delayed each time they returned fire.

I think this is the smoking gun to teleporting ground units.

From the technics:
Need to stay when firing StayWhenFire 0 // 0-move, 1-stay)
BestSpace 2.0 // best space between units in group (m)
AfterCollisionDist 0.1 // distance of "moving back" right after collision (m)
CommandInterval 20.0//time interval between asking move commands(sec)
StayInterval 30.0 // time in 'stay' mode (before reasking move command)

So a tank stops,fires,waits a few seconds then decides what to do. If it keeps firing at multiple units in its sphere of influence, it might wind up not moving anywhere near as far as we think it will.

We can test this. The first question is Do tanks fire more accurately when standing still or is it the same as when they are on the move? If its the same, we can just prevent mobile firing units from stopping when they fire and just keep plowing to the SEOW destination that was plotted.

I am guessing we renamed the PzIVJ into the PzIVH?
"I've never won a SEOW campaign."
II/JG54_Emil

Post by II/JG54_Emil » Wed May 29, 2013 9:21 am

Sounds ok to me.

Pilot reports in the mission were different.
Saying that the tanks got locked up in a doof leg outside of Korosten and never moved until the end of the mission.

Brändles' explanation seems to describe what pilots reported.
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades » Wed May 29, 2013 9:37 am

OK, what we seem to have here is second-hand reports that are not detailed enough to tell us anything conclusive.

If we really want to debug/analyze something we need much more detailed descriptions than we have now.

I suspect that SEOW is performing as normal, according to its usual ground movement assumptions. The best way to know what is happening on the ground is to jump in a car and drive along with the tanks during the mission!

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

Return to “The Winter 1943 Boardroom”