Meeting 04/08 & 01/09 - Meeting minutes

A forum for design and development discussions regarding this multisector campaign.

Moderator: Petr

IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:56 pm

There is a common confusion between SEOW as a software system, and various campaigns run by different people using SEOW. In the following I will answer from the software perspective.

- What happens when a plane crash-lands? What's the critical distance for the plane from Home Base to count as landed or destroyed?
There is no critical distance. It all depends on whether the eventlog says the plane is damaged or destroyed/crashed. If destroyed/crashed, then the airframe is written off. Otherwise, optionally, the airframe is given a delay penalty. And by the way, there is no Home Base concept in SEOW in the same way that there is in DF servers.

- Enforce penalties when crashing during take-off or landing.
For SEOW, a crash is a crash. See above.

- What's with the parachutes? Is it allowed to shoot at them?
Petr is wrong. This has nothing at all to do with SEOW, and everything to do with agreements between players on how they want to play the campaign. Personally, I think you'd be crazy to allow a skilled enemy pilot to escape over his friendly lines to fly again. Over your territory if you let him bail and land, he will get captured and interrogated, and you may get intelligence on his airbase. But as I said, it is between the players to decide collectively on how they want to play their campaign.

- First 5 minutes of no-aggression (only with aircraft, not when ground forces are near)
Petr's answer is good.

- What should a pilot do when performing emergency landings over enemy territory? Must he bail out or if he/she disconnects it will count as captured?
He should bail out and wait to see if he gets killed or captured or not. After his pilot object disappears he should disconnect. This process ensures that the eventlog gathers all necessary data for SEOW to analyse after the mission.

- Standarised skins via Mod Enabler, we think is the best and easiest option for everyone. (FTR we are already working on it as stated in the meeting)
Good idea.

- About the vectoring there's a topic started in the other SEOW forum, let's see what 4Shades (or any other expert) replies.
Answered in the Official Forum. SEOW does not support vectoring, but people can add the vectoring MOD directives to the mission file if they want.

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer
Petr

Post by Petr » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:45 am

IV/JG7_4Shades wrote:There is a common confusion between SEOW as a software system, and various campaigns run by different people using SEOW. In the following I will answer from the software perspective.

- What happens when a plane crash-lands? What's the critical distance for the plane from Home Base to count as landed or destroyed?
There is no critical distance. It all depends on whether the eventlog says the plane is damaged or destroyed/crashed. If destroyed/crashed, then the airframe is written off. Otherwise, optionally, the airframe is given a delay penalty. And by the way, there is no Home Base concept in SEOW in the same way that there is in DF servers.

- Enforce penalties when crashing during take-off or landing.
For SEOW, a crash is a crash. See above.

- What's with the parachutes? Is it allowed to shoot at them?
Petr is wrong. This has nothing at all to do with SEOW, and everything to do with agreements between players on how they want to play the campaign. Personally, I think you'd be crazy to allow a skilled enemy pilot to escape over his friendly lines to fly again. Over your territory if you let him bail and land, he will get captured and interrogated, and you may get intelligence on his airbase. But as I said, it is between the players to decide collectively on how they want to play their campaign.

- First 5 minutes of no-aggression (only with aircraft, not when ground forces are near)
Petr's answer is good.

- What should a pilot do when performing emergency landings over enemy territory? Must he bail out or if he/she disconnects it will count as captured?
He should bail out and wait to see if he gets killed or captured or not. After his pilot object disappears he should disconnect. This process ensures that the eventlog gathers all necessary data for SEOW to analyse after the mission.

- Standarised skins via Mod Enabler, we think is the best and easiest option for everyone. (FTR we are already working on it as stated in the meeting)
Good idea.

- About the vectoring there's a topic started in the other SEOW forum, let's see what 4Shades (or any other expert) replies.
Answered in the Official Forum. SEOW does not support vectoring, but people can add the vectoring MOD directives to the mission file if they want.

Cheers,
4S
Hi Shades,

Thanks for clarifying/correcting.
On the topic of shooting chutes, for me this is a standard rule in all SEOW campaigns I've flown and organized. I should have formulated differently and made the distinction between the SEOW software and the rule set.

The discussion about shooting the pilot in the chute or not is probably as old as the invention of the chute itself. Your arguement is a good one but as a counter, you could consider the pilot having bailed out as a non combatant, who is defenseless and shooting him would amount to murder. I think this view was held by many Allied and Axis pilots alike at the time.

Both views are valid and in principle could be allowed as was possible historically. However, there is the element of fun and we all love our stats :lol:
I think the main arguement for not allowing this is to avoid very emotional outbursts and bad feelings between the players which can easily lead to a lot of, well, crap.

I'll setup a poll for this and see what the majority thinks.
Petr

Post by Petr » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:43 am

First post updated with meeting minutes 01/09.

Rules will be updated in the coming days.

If you feel something has not been recorded correctly let me know asap!
Petr

Post by Petr » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:50 pm

Small but not unimportant addendum to the first post.

Return to “The Scylla and Charybdis Lounge”